Thread: Zen of Creativity John Daido Loori video

Zen of Creativity John Daido Loori video

Post #2 on Chapter 2, John Daido Loori The Zen of Creativity:

Hello everyone,

There are several trailers online from JDL's film ‘birth, transformation, mountains and river sutra’, the film he did in collaboration with other artists mentioned in Chapter2. This short one has the opera singers singing Dogan’s words.
    FYI, I believe the full DVD is available from the Monastery Store.

Gassho,
    Anne
    ~st~

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Post #2 on Chapter 2, John Daido Loori The Zen of Creativity:

Hello everyone,

There are several trailers online from JDL's film ‘birth, transformation, mountains and river sutra’, the film he did in collaboration with other artists mentioned in Chapter2. This short one has the opera singers singing Dogan’s words.
    FYI, I believe the full DVD is available from the Monastery Store.

Gassho,
    Anne
    ~st~
    Thanks Anne, this is a great find and I really enjoyed seeing the results of what JDL is discussing in the book.

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah

PS The vid is available by clicking the YT link as suggested.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thanks for posting Anne - have to confess I'm not an opera fan so although I enjoyed the imagery wasn't too keen on the vocals.
    It is interesting to see the end result of JDL's collaboration though - it captures what a fertile time it was in the Zen Arts community and how well placed
    JDL was to work with lots of interesting contemporaries.

I would love to see a Lin-Manuel Miranda interpretation of the sutra as culturally responses/artistic voices change and move on.

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat today

Thank you, Anne for posting this video. The visuals were beautiful. I didn't make out what was being sung until toward the end, when she was singing about 'transforming, transforming and the parent and child become each other." It was a lovely production.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Hi all!

I loved watching that although, like others, was not totally overcome with the vocals.

I did wonder if we might make a project like this with people pairing up to do the words and video in whatever manner they choose to, and from whatever Dogen writings they choose to?

Just an idea!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I liked the video and the idea (didn’t had time yet to read the chapter though). I found the opera vocal difficult to understand, but very beautiful.
    And I’d also like to see our fellow treeleafer artists united in a similar project.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Very good idea Kokuu. Maybe some of our fine musicians could participate as well.

By the way if you do a search on YouTube for the JDL film there are a number of trailers. I just chose to post this one as the operatic rendition of Dogan's words intrigued me. And I loved the mixing of mediums!

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyo View Post
    Thanks for posting Anne - have to confess I'm not an opera fan so although I enjoyed the imagery wasn't too keen on the vocals.
    It is interesting to see the end result of JDL's collaboration though - it captures what a fertile time it was in the Zen Arts community and how well placed
    JDL was to work with lots of interesting contemporaries.

I would love to see a Lin-Manuel Miranda interpretation of the sutra as culturally responses/artistic voices change and move on.

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat today
    Omigosh yes!! I might start tweeting him Dogen quotes. Lol

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro