Thread: June 7th-8th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI! - featuring Kyonin!

June 7th-8th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI! - featuring Kyonin!

Today's Talk will feature Rev. Kyonin, who will Boogie with Bodhidharma
    (see below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/june-...e-of-practice/

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 07-21-2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Updated podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today's Talk will be by Rev. Kyonin, who will speak on the Outline of Practice of Master Bodhidharma (also known as the Treatise on the Two Entrances and Four Practices/ 二入四行論)
    Translated by Red Pine

==============

MANY roads lead to the Path, but basically there are only two: reason and practice. To enter by reason means to realize the essence through instruction and to believe that all living things share the same true nature, which isn't apparent because it's shrouded by sensation and delusion. Those who turn from delusion back to reality, who meditate on walls,' the absence of self and other, the oneness of mortal and sage, and who remain unmoved even by scriptures are in complete and unspoken agreement with reason. Without moving, without effort, they enter, we say, by reason.

To enter by practice refers to four all-inclusive practices: Suffering injustice, adapting to conditions, seeking nothing, and practicing the Dharma.

First, suffering injustice. When those who search for the Path encounter adversity, they should think to themselves, "In Countless ages gone by, I've turned from the essential to the trivial and wandered through all manner of existence, often angry without cause and guilty of numberless transgressions. Now, though I do no wrong, I'm punished by my past. Neither gods nor men can foresee when an evil deed will bear its fruit. I accept it with an open heart and without complaint of injustice. The sutras say "when you meet with adversity don't be upset because it makes sense." With such understanding you're in harmony with reason. And by suffering injustice you enter the Path.

Second, adapting to conditions. As mortals, we're ruled by conditions, not by ourselves. All the suffering and joy we experience depend on conditions. If we should be blessed by some great reward, such as fame or fortune, it's the fruit of a seed planted by us in the past. When conditions change, it ends. Why delight In Its existence? But while success and failure depend on conditions, the mind neither waxes nor wanes. Those who remain unmoved by the wind of joy silently follow the Path.

Third, seeking nothing. People of this world are deluded. They're always longing for something-always, in a word, seeking. But the wise wake up. They choose reason over custom. They fix their minds on the sublime and let their bodies change with the seasons. All phenomena are empty. They contain nothing worth desiring. Calamity forever alternates with Prosperity. To dwell in the three realms is to dwell in a burning house. To have a body is to suffer. Does anyone with a body know peace? Those who understand this detach themselves from all that exists and stop imagining or seeking anything. The sutras say, "To seek is to suffer. To seek nothing is bliss." When you seek nothing, you're on the Path.

Fourth, practicing the Dharma. The Dharma is the truth that all natures are pure. By this truth, all appearances are empty. Defilement and attachment, subject and object don't exist. The sutras say, "The Dharma includes no being because it's free from the impurity of being, and the Dharma includes no self because it's free from the impurity of self." Those wise enough to believe and understand these truths are bound to practice according to the Dharma. And since that which is real includes nothing worth begrudging, they give their body, life, and property in charity, without regret, without the vanity of giver, gift, or recipient, and without bias or attachment. And to eliminate impurity they teach others, but without becoming attached to form. Thus, through their own practice they're able to help others and glorify the Way of Enlightenment. And as with charity, they also practice the other virtues. But while practicing the six virtues to eliminate delusion, they practice nothing at all. This is what's meant by practicing the Dharma.
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2019 at 12:48 AM.

I will join

Gassho
    Doshin
    St

Mp
    Hey folks,

Sorry, have to work ... will sit with the recording. Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    On Demand as usual.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Hello guys!

Well, I'll be there with instruments ready and a nice talk for you all

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

The perils of householding. Deeply affirming visit with grandchild (from 3000 miles away) ongoing through tomorrow, whole clan involved; will miss live 4-hr zazenkai and also 8-hr brick-and-mortar zazenkai tomorrow; will sit this on Sunday. Love to all. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Sounds great. I will join everyone across Space and Time (in other words: Sunday)

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I will have to join Doyu and Shinshi - no chance before Sunday.
    Looking forward to it!

Gassho
    Gero (sat and lah)

Just slidin’ into place on the cushion, will sit this one-way with y’all!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tatiana Hokey Pokey ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you all. I'll eventually get my hokey pokey together and get the time differences right.
    Gassho, Anna

Not special
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Wow this Sangha knows how to put on a Zazenkai, I tell ya!! Deep bows, Kyonin, for an amazing talk.
    And a fun Hokey Pokey!!

Thank you everyone, wishing you all peace and joy this weekend (even if it’s not quiet)
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy to have attended (partly) my first 4 hour Zazenkai! I had to leave early for work, luckily I worked my last Saturday today so looking forward to attending them in full! Thank you for the Dharma talk Kyonin and for the answer.

Thank you everyone, have a great weekend!

Gassho

Brad

SatToday

Mp
    Thank you folks ... was able to hear Kyonin's talk during my break, well done brother. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Needed to leave a little early

Thanks to all. Mucho Gracias Kyoin. Bueno talk. Given that our talk came from Mexico I thought it wonderful that Bodhidharma was wearing a sombrero

Joy and Gassho
    Doshin
    St

Thank you, Kyonin, it was a wonderful talk. Thank you, Jundo and everyone. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo and Kyonin for another wonderful Zazenkai. And, Great talk bro.
    have yourselves an awesome week end.

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo. Thank you, Kyonin.

Could it be when we carry one shoe it is the journey of Buddha and when we leave one behind, as a signpost, it is Bodhisattva? And then, as we continue to look into this, the shoe we carry is the signpost of Bodhisattva, and the one left behind in the box is Buddha, one with the earth, sole horizontal, strap vertical? _()_

gassho
    doyu sat today/lah (and got lent a lot of hand as well)
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Sat with this Zazenkai. Thank you everyone.

Thank you Kyonin. Wonderful teaching as always.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Sat right now.

Thank you Jundo and Kyonin,everyone.

I try to hear again,Teisho(ご提唱)by Kyonin.

Have a good day!

Sat today
    Gassho
    Nine bows
    Kakunen

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone.

Kotei just sat.
    Gassho.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Jundo and Kyonin

My ever present zazen companion who sits with others on my altar
    Bodhidharma.jpg

I often think he looks a little fierce or wild but guess staring at a wall for nine years could do that

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone for this beautiful Zazenkai.
    Again, could only find time today.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and all. Thank you Bodhidharma!

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Kyonin's "Bodhidharma's Outline of Practice" talk from the June Zazenkai is now available as a podcast episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/june-...e-of-practice/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.