Thread: Tonglen day/time possible alterations

Tonglen day/time possible alterations

Hello Treeleafers,

It is noticed that our Tonglen Practice Circle is currently having almost a zero attendance.
    Besides the reasons like spring-summer time slack due to members possibly would like to
    be more active outdoors instead of sitting inside on weekends, we suppose this might also be
    the inconvenience of the day and time set for the event.
    We would like everyone interested in this Practice to comment on this thread which of the day
    and time would be more suitable for them so that we could work out a better option for all.
    Would, say, Saturday work better than Sunday?

The picture of today is:

Every last Sunday of the month and times are as follows:

UK (BST) - 8pm
    Western Europe - 9pm
    Eastern Europe - 10pm
    EDT - 3pm
    CDT - 2pm
    MDT - 1pm
    PDT - 12pm
    AKDT - 11am
    Tokyo - 5am (Monday)

Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
    Washin on behalf of Kokuu
    sat today
    Last edited by Washin; 06-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Washin I am fine with evening any time, but Sunday is always tricky for me, so if I had a choice, any evening except Sunday. (I think we're in the same time zone)
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Washin I am fine with evening any time, but Sunday is always tricky for me, so if I had a choice, any evening except Sunday. (I think we're in the same time zone)
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    Thank you for the reply, Meitou. Most possibly we will be moving the event to be held on Saturdays
    at around 5-6pm EET. You are always welcome to join

Gassho,
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching

Hi Washin,
    I have interest in tonglen, but don’t know how to practice it and weekends are a little difficult to me (wife and pets reserved days), but I’m working on it. If if moves to Saturday, I’ll try to participate but can’t promise.
    I also have some questions regarding tonglen:
    Do tonglen require a specific sitting position? What mudra should I use? Do a have to sit zazen before or after tonglen, or are they independent from one another?
    Thank you very much!
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Hi Washin,
    I have interest in tonglen, but don’t know how to practice it and weekends are a little difficult to me (wife and pets reserved days), but I’m working on it. If if moves to Saturday, I’ll try to participate but can’t promise.
    I also have some questions regarding tonglen:
    Do tonglen require a specific sitting position? What mudra should I use? Do a have to sit zazen before or after tonglen, or are they independent from one another?
    Thank you very much!
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    Hi Mateus,

Tonglen is a simple practice. It does not require a specific position. We sit in a regular Zazen posture holding our cosmic mudra. Normally we do not practice Tonglen during Zazen as we sit shikantaza, however, in our sessions particularly, we do Zazen for the first 10 minutes and then we continue with practicing Tonglen for the rest of time (20 minutes).

In the below thread you may find the detailed instructions on how to tonglen written by Kokuu some time ago: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...e-Instructions

You are welcome to participate at any time you are up to!

Gassho
    Washin
    sat-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Thank you, Washin.
    I’ll try to participate with you all.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Hello Washin,
    I would like to participate if the schedule changes Saturday would be much better than Sunday.

Kind regards,

Dan
    Satlah

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the above comments. The next event will be on Saturday, June 29th and
    the new times are:

UK (BST) - 3pm
    Western Europe - 4pm
    Eastern Europe - 5pm
    EDT - 10am
    CDT - 9am
    MDT - 8am
    PDT - 7am
    AKDT - 6am
    Tokyo - 11pm

Everyone is welcome!

Gassho,
    Washin
    st/lah
    Last edited by Washin; 06-17-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the above comments. The next event will be on Saturday, June 29th and
    the new times are:

UK (BST) - 3pm
    Western Europe - 4pm
    Eastern Europe - 5pm
    EDT - 10am
    CDT - 9am
    MDT - 8am
    PDT - 7am
    AKDT - 6am
    Tokyo - 11pm

Everyone is welcome!

Gassho,
    Washin
    st/lah
    Thank you Washin, that may be a better day for me in the future - however on the 29th I shall be at my niece's wedding in the UK, so next time!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hi Washin
    I will try to join you. It will be 6am on Monday for me in Queensland, Australia.
    Gassho, Anna
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    Hi everyone,

the new times are:

UK (BST) - 3pm
    Western Europe - 4pm
    Eastern Europe - 5pm
    EDT - 10am
    CDT - 9am
    MDT - 8am
    PDT - 7am
    AKDT - 6am
    Tokyo - 11pm

Everyone is welcome!

Gassho,
    Washin
    st/lah
    Hi Washin.
    I joined today, but. It sure if it really were the Tonglen Practice Circle or a zazen scheduled sitting. I get a little lost in the conversion from the timezones above to BRL, as I don’t know if there is a daylight saving that I must account for. I sat at 11am BRL, converting from Tokyo 11pm, as I know my time zone is the opposite of that, but if there is a daylight saving in Japan, My conversion was wrong.
    Hope I was at the right sitting. Sat Tonglen anyway.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today

I practice Tonglen on my own fairly often, but I somehow usually miss the Tonglen threads and announcements. I'll look into that problem, but with my family and frequently changing work schedules, it has been difficult for me to attend scheduled practice times. I'm in EDT but I work internationally, so I tend to "time-zone hop" frequently and weekends aren't any easier.

When I have a moment I will look to see if you do videos that I can "sit Tonglen" with you at another time, even if I can't be there with you live.

gassho
    kim
    st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Hi Washin.
    I joined today, but. It sure if it really were the Tonglen Practice Circle or a zazen scheduled sitting. I get a little lost in the conversion from the timezones above to BRL, as I don’t know if there is a daylight saving that I must account for. I sat at 11am BRL, converting from Tokyo 11pm, as I know my time zone is the opposite of that, but if there is a daylight saving in Japan, My conversion was wrong.
    Hope I was at the right sitting. Sat Tonglen anyway.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    Hi Mateus,

The Tonglen circle of 29th June didn't in fact happen as I had to be off that time.
    Sorry for not notifying all concerned timely and thank you for sitting Tonglen anyway.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Last edited by Washin; 07-18-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    I practice Tonglen on my own fairly often, but I somehow usually miss the Tonglen threads and announcements. I'll look into that problem, but with my family and frequently changing work schedules, it has been difficult for me to attend scheduled practice times. I'm in EDT but I work internationally, so I tend to "time-zone hop" frequently and weekends aren't any easier.

When I have a moment I will look to see if you do videos that I can "sit Tonglen" with you at another time, even if I can't be there with you live.

gassho
    kim
    st lh
    Hi Kim,

Thank you for the comment. Currently we do not record each session though
    we plan to start doing it in the future.
    Meanwhile you're most welcome to join in when you can.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Last edited by Washin; 07-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Dear all,

The next event will be on Saturday, July 27th and the times are:

UK (BST) - 3pm
    Western Europe - 4pm
    Eastern Europe - 5pm
    EDT - 10am
    CDT - 9am
    MDT - 8am
    PDT - 7am
    AKDT - 6am
    Tokyo - 11pm

Further announcement to follow.

Everyone is welcome!

Gassho,
    Washin
    st/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Hi Washin,
    Thank you for all. Unfortunately this month I will not have time to sit tonglen with you all. I will mark next month in my calendar.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today