Thread: May 31st-(June 1st) Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

May 31st-(June 1st) Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

NOTE: Our June Monthly 4-Hour Zazenkai will be Next Week, June 7-8th

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Heart Sutra today may be this little touch of Samba (featuring vocaloid Hatsune Miku) ... a touch of Zen Carnival! ... except that, after listening, I realized it is Bossa Nova, not Samba (apologies to our Brazilian members )

For those of you who do not know her ...

Hatsune Miku (初音ミク) is the first Japanese Vocaloid2 in the Vocaloid2 Character Vocal Series, the third Japanese Vocaloid created by Crypton Future Media, and is the seventh Vocaloid to have appeared overall; released on August 31, 2007. She is considered as the most popular and well known Vocaloid and the first to become a pop idol. The data for the voice was created by sampling the voice of Saki Fujita (藤田 咲, Fujita Saki), a Japanese voice actress.

Crypton had the idea to release Miku as "an android diva in the near-future world where songs are lost."[3][4] When KEI illustrated Miku, he was asked to draw Miku as an android and a color scheme to go off of (based on YAMAHA synthesizer's signature blue-green color). Crypton also provided KEI her detailed concepts, however, Crypton says it was not easy to explain what a "Vocaloid" was like to him, and KEI says he could not create an image of a "singing computer" at first, as he did not even know what a "synthesizer" was. It took him more than a month. [5] The digital design on Miku's skirt and boots are based off synthesizer program colours and the bars represent the actual bars within the program, following Crypton's idea. Part of her design seems to be based on Yamaha's keyboard model DX-100 [6]
    Many of you may know her from her J-pop version ... and many others ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-01-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Looking forward to it

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo. I will join 2-way, tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

I'll be there live with instruments ready!

Glad to have Miku-chan on board!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joining you all one-way

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Thank you Jundo and all who sat or will sit. have a great week-end and keep on dancing !!

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo and Shokai and everyone. It was a joy to dance with the Heart Sutra and to "dance zazen." Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you

Thank you Jundo!! Dancing was very funny. Allows me to loosen up and let got of some practice rigidity. Awesome!!

Have a great week everyone, always a pleasure to sit. Looking forward to seeing you all next weekend!

Gassho,

Brad

SatToday/LAH

Wonderful. I read recently that the Sangha is Jundo's robe. Our dancing is also his dance, therefore he is a good dancer. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat today/LAH
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thanks for the zazenkai fellas, have a great weekend!

Gassho
    Anant
    Just Sat

Thank you all for this Zazenkai.
    Just danced the timeshift with you.

Gero (danced today)

Greetings everyone,
    Sorry for being a bit quiet the last couple of months - my work often puts me on the road, and sometimes out of the country.
    First, Jundo congrats on the book contract - look forward to reading it.
    Second, incidentally, speaking of the dance of life, my wife and I will probably be taking our 20 yr. old cat on its last trip to the vet this afternoon. Without going into needless detail - cat's physical symptoms are getting more and more obviously painful with little upside or relief. I used to roll my eyes at middle age childless couples who turn their pets into substitute children! Now...here I am!
    gassho,
    sat
    sean

Quote Originally Posted by sjlabat View Post
    Greetings everyone,
    Sorry for being a bit quiet the last couple of months - my work often puts me on the road, and sometimes out of the country.
    First, Jundo congrats on the book contract - look forward to reading it.
    Second, incidentally, speaking of the dance of life, my wife and I will probably be taking our 20 yr. old cat on its last trip to the vet this afternoon. Without going into needless detail - cat's physical symptoms are getting more and more obviously painful with little upside or relief. I used to roll my eyes at middle age childless couples who turn their pets into substitute children! Now...here I am!
    gassho,
    sat
    sean
    Yes, we have said goodbye to some pets too on the dance of life. Little sentient beings. The podcast I am recording with Kirk this week includes a question on the Zen of cats. I dedicate it to yours.

Gassho, J

STLah

Much appreciated...a lesson in impermanence and not holding on to a 'good' that I can't have forever.
    sjl

I sit right now.

Thank you very much,Ino and Jundo.

Good to chant heart sutra in Latin style

I feet that I really enjoy and live as I am.

Hope to have good day!

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Good to dance and sit with you all today.

Gassho,

Nanrin

St
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    A much needed Zazenkai this weekend following the loss of a friend a few days ago. Impermanence can be so subtle but death is always a stark reminder that immediately brings it to mind. Thank you for your wonderful dancing, although I confess I am still too self conscious to join in - need to lose that self but its taking time. Anyway made me smile and think of this.

Thank you all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    A much needed Zazenkai this weekend following the loss of a friend a few days ago. Impermanence can be so subtle but death is always a stark reminder that immediately brings it to mind. Thank you for your wonderful dancing, although I confess I am still too self conscious to join in - need to lose that self but its taking time. Anyway made me smile and think of this.
    A dance of smiles, a dance of tears. Yes, Seishin?

We dedicate today to your friends and all who suffer loss in illness.

Gassho, J

STLah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    A dance of smiles, a dance of tears. Yes, Seishin?

We dedicate today to your friends and all who suffer loss in illness.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you Roshi for your wise and kind words.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Congratulations on the book deal Jundo. I look forward to reading it.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I danced and sat with you all this morning.

Thank you

Gassho,

Neil

StLaH

Oh that was the best Heart Sutra yet! Wonderful to dance this lovely dance of life with you all. Thank you Jundo, and thank you Shokai for being Ino.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Jundo, Shokai and everyone.

Sat and danced with you all

Gassho,
    Washin
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Doshin
    St

Just sat this one. Thanks everyone. To those who object to dancing during a serious zazenkai I say this: We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind, because your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance then they're no friends of mine.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Sat today the Weekly Zazenkai with you all.
    Thank you Jundo, Shokai, Miku-chan and everyone for this joyful Zazenkai.
    You were not wrong to call it a samba. Bossa nova is a daughter of samba. Indeed this melody’s name is “Samba de uma nota só” (“One note only samba”). So samba and bossa nova are not two, not one...
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post

You were not wrong to call it a samba. Bossa nova is a daughter of samba. Indeed this melody’s name is “Samba de uma nota só” (“One note only samba”). So samba and bossa nova are not two, not one...
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    Obligato Arigato.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you all.

And so sorry for your cat, Sean.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you.

SatToday/Gassho
    流道
    Ryū Dou

If you are honestly trying to live the way you believe God wants you to live, you can get guidance from God in times of quiet communion with Him, provided your thoughts are directed towards God's will and all good things. The attitude of "Thy will, not mine, be done" leads to clear guidance. Act on this guidance and you will be led to better things. Your impulses seem to become less your own and more the leading of God's spirit acting through your thoughts. Obeyed, they will bring you the answers to your prayers. This is my hope, and as I am also a devout Buddhist and Soto Zen member, I express compassion as I LAH.

Tai Shi
    DEEP BOWS
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆