Thread: An Old Man chopped wood.

An Old Man chopped wood.

This happened to me. Ive removed the more colourful Austtralian slang.

At this time of year, the cold winds start to enter the house. Wood fire is the only way to stay warm and healthy. I visisted the wood pile I share with the neighbour, a good man of older years.

I swing, and split, the branch. Carrying on, I amass a pile of wood, and am proud.

Looking at my neighbours pile I ask, "How can you chop wood so fast?"

He looked at me, laughed and said, "looking at me, how could you think it was speed? While you have been swingin to make wood, an impressive amount of noise and show ill admit, I was reflecting on my every wasted breath. It was not speed, but faith. Faith is knowing it takes thins long no matter what you do, knowing that you cannot avoid the unpleasentness of the act, and faith that it cannot last forever."

It hit me really hard, and thought id share it here with you all. I immediatly thought of that butcher we read about, one knife lasts 20 years if it passes between the bones.

Gassho,
    GEoff.
    SaTToday
    LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Getchi View Post

At this time of year, the cold winds start to enter the house. Wood fire is the only way to stay warm and healthy. I visisted the wood pile I share with the neighbour, a good man of older years.

I swing, and split, the branch. Carrying on, I amass a pile of wood, and am proud.

He looked at me, laughed and said, "looking at me, how could you think it was speed? While you have been swingin to make wood, an impressive amount of noise and show ill admit, I was reflecting on my every wasted breath. It was not speed, but faith. Faith is knowing it takes thins long no matter what you do, knowing that you cannot avoid the unpleasentness of the act, and faith that it cannot last forever."

It hit me really hard, and thought id share it here with you all. I immediatly thought of that butcher we read about, one knife lasts 20 years if it passes between the bones.

Gassho,
    GEoff.
    SaTToday
    LaH.
    And thank you to all in chilly Australia, up there, which is the example I often use to explain to people that even "up and down" are relative concepts in Mahayana Buddhism, that things are often how one looks at them, and that space has no absolute up or down.

Stay warm.

Gassho, J

STLah

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Getchi for this teaching. As one of the "old men" I am still chewing on this both for its relevance in my life and the reminder there are reversed seasons on the bottom half of our world. I know I will be commenting again on this thread.

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Getchi View Post

Gassho,
    GEoff.
    SaTToday
    LaH.
    I thought about this story much today. Lovely story.

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho
    Meishin
    STLAH

Thank you Geoff.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you for sharing. That was a really good thing to hear.

Sat today, might stand later

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Thankyou all for reading this

And thankyou Jundo for posting the "true" map of Earth.

I think alot about the idea of Faxans Golden Lion, Form and Emptiness but mostly in how its expressed through everyday actions.

Peace to you all.

Gassho,
    Geoff

SatToday
    LaH

Thank you for this teaching, it's one to think about while I take my time at work today.

Gassho,

Neil

STLah

_/|\_

Deep Bows
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Oh this rings so true! Thank you for sharing
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    relative concepts in Mahayana Buddhism are often how one looks at them, and that space has no absolute up or down.

This explains why my tea cup suddenly dumped in my lap

gassho, shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

For our Canada centered friends ...

Source; http://www.odtmaps.com/detail.asp?pr...&Contents=TAB5

Remember, every point of the universe is "a" center of the universe, as is every other. It is true.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...GR/centre.html

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo, thankyou. People also forget what Albert yelled that fateful day

Look here VonNeumann -
    see that Time is Space,
    Space is Time,
    Time cannot be without Space,
    Space cannot be without Time..."

Both are awesome gents in my book

LaH.
    SatToday.

Gassho.

Jundo;
    According to the map the best place to get away from Toronto would be Antarctica

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/