Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COMING SOON: 'The Zen of Everything Podcast' with Jundo & Kirk- NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS

COMING SOON: 'The Zen of Everything Podcast' with Jundo & Kirk- NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS

Dear All,

In a couple of weeks, we will be kicking off a new podcast that, I think, is very different from anything in the Buddhist world right now ... OR FOR THE LAST 2500 YEARS! And I need your suggestions.

The podcast will eventually be here (not yet) ...

... and will be co-hosted by me and our long time (12+ years) Treeleaf member, and the host/producer of several other successful podcasts, Kirk McElhearn. It was Kirk's idea (so blame him!)

The basic premise is simple:

Each episode will take readers' questions on ALMOST ANY TOPIC ... even things (which is most things) that I admittedly know little or nothing about ...

... stuff like baseball (I know nothing ... there are 3 bases, yes?), love relationships (a mystery to me, especially these days), sex advice (I know something, but according to my wife, really I know nothing), astro-physics (just what Dr. Tyson says on Youtube), finance (market goes up ... or down), fitness and health issues (I know nothing, see a doctor), car repairs (I can change a tire), politics (I know that things are crazy) ...

... and I will proceed to answer anyway, probably not saying too much truly practical or useful (especially because I know nothing) ...

... but always putting a "Zen" twist on each of them, bringing in thousands of years of Wisdom and Compassion ...

... thus making things right, clarifying all timeless mysteries of the universe, saving marriages and saving the planet, fixing your car and Washington, solving all the other problems in the world and peoples's lives ...

... even though I know nothing.

Along the way, we will laugh and cry together, and celebrate this strange world and the human condition. We will push some boundaries, make people smile or come after us with burning torches, and hopefully speak some sense. It is very simple (and Kirk will keep our feet down to earth.)

AND THAT'S WHERE WE NEED YOUR HELP:

Please shoot us some questions (either here or privately by PM) with whatever concerns you, serious or not so serious. Some samples might include:

- Who would win, Batman or Spiderman, in a head to head duel?

- What will be the effect of Brexit on the French GDP?

- I just got a bad diagnosis from my doctor, I am scared, how do I handle this?

- My girlfriend snores all night ... should I leave her, love her, or just buy ear plugs?

- Where do we go when we die? Where should I go on vacation?

... anything and everything at all!

The name of the new podcast will be:

The Zen of Everything!

A zen take on life, love, laughter, and everything else. With Jundo Cohen, a real zen master, and Kirk McElhearn, a guy who knows a bit about zen.

Gassho, J

STLah

-
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-18-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

PS - By the way, here are some of Kirk's other podcasts if you want to check them out. Some are on computer stuff, and he says his personal favorite is the "next track," which is his music podcast ...

> The Next Track:http://www.thenexttrack.com
    > PhotoActive:http://www.photoactive.co
    > Intego Mac Podcast:http://podcast.intego.com
    > The Committed:http://www.thecommitted.tv

Why am I not enlightened yet, complete with magical flying Buddha fireball powers, and how exactly is it entirely Jundo's fault?

Seriously though that's great. I looking forward to hearing it

Gassho,
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo. This is wonderful and I'm looking forward to this...

- What will be the effect of an ex comedian tv actor currently taking up the position of the President
    also basing on the experience of a former-actor-presidency as seen in previous times?

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Oh, this sounds wonderful!

Thank you, Kirk and J. (I don't have any questions just yet)

Gassho,
    Anant
    Last edited by newby_x86; 05-17-2019 at 08:03 AM.

I have a bit of trepidation about this, because being on the same stage as Jundo means that my lack of knowledge about zen will be highly visible.

Question: What should one do about imposter syndrome?

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    Thank you, Jundo. This is wonderful and I'm looking forward to this...

- What will be the effect of an ex comedian tv actor currently taking up the position of the President
    also basing on the experience of a former-actor-presidency as seen in previous times?

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat today
    Washin is referencing this ...

Ukraine election: Comedian Zelensky wins presidency by landslide

With nearly all ballots counted in the run-off vote, Mr Zelensky had taken more than 73% with incumbent Petro Poroshenko trailing far behind on 24%. ... Mr Zelensky, a political novice, is best known for starring in a satirical television series Servant of the People, in which his character accidentally becomes Ukrainian president.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48007487
    Washin, almost all politicians are "comedians" in one way or another. However, most of them are not very funny.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Question: What should one do about imposter syndrome?
    All sentient beings are "imposters" in one way or another.

Gassho, J

STLah

it is a pity that I do not know English, and it will be very interesting

Gassho,
    Oleg
    Sat today, Lend a Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Timchenko_Oleg View Post

Gassho,
    Oleg
    Sat today, Lend a Hand
    You may translate each episode into Russian and Ukranian for us. The parts that you don't understand, you can just make up and invent, no problem.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Gassho,
    Oleg
    Sat today, Lend a Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    All sentient beings are "imposters" in one way or another.

Gassho, J

STLah
    If you answer all the questions that briefly, we'll find it difficult to fill up our half hours.

:-)

Gassho,

Kirk the Imposter

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

The parts that you don't understand, you can just make up and invent, no problem.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Why I love this Sangha #548

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Washin, almost all politicians are "comedians" in one way or another. However, most of them are not very funny.

Oleg, I'd be glad to assist in getting the meaning one way or another when the Podcast is out.

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post

Oleg, I'd be glad to assist in getting the meaning one way or another when the Podcast is out.

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    I'd be happy to get help, dearly Washin

Gassho,
    Oleg
    Sat today, Lend a Hand

Great and benevolent teacher,

I come to you with a question of the upmost urgency. A question that brings great distress and plaques my practice, pulling me back into the shadow of the lands of Naraku. Please, show me the same kindness Tendo Nyojo gave to Dogen when they became like father and son. Tell me, does a fart have buddha-nature?

Nine times twelve bows,
    Chishou
    今朝座禅を座りました

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Kyotai
    Will the podcast also include interviews with others? Or just the Jundo and Kirk show..

I have also been on 3 podcasts topically regarding my YouTube and martial arts. It is a lot of fun. I am very interested and applaud this adventure.

My question : Why did it take this long to start a podcast?

ps.. i also offer any assistance I can (although limited) but fully support this idea. Go to it.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Looking very much forward to this.
    I have no suitable questions yet, but will be looking out for them.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

We may have guests and/or interviews, but it’s too soon to plan anything beyond the basic structure. We’ll see how things go.

Gassho,

Kirk

Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    If you answer all the questions that briefly, we'll find it difficult to fill up our half hours.

:-)

Gassho,

Kirk the Imposter

sat
    Are you kidding? I have never been able to give a "5 minute talk" in less than 10 minutes! I can talk for an hour about why "silence" is so important in Zen!

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Chishou View Post
    ... Tell me, does a fart have buddha-nature?

Nine times twelve bows,
    Chishou
    今朝座禅を座りました

I now reveal the WORST Zen book I have ever read, although it does address your question. Please save your money, do not buy this book (no kidding), find a charity then burn the money in front of the charity, then stomp on the ashes ... it would be a better use for the money than buying this book.

Zen folks say time does not matter? Wrong. Typing this message about the book is literally another minute of my life (besides the time reading the book) that I won't get back.

Zen folks say to have equanimity about all things? Wrong. This may be the worst book I have ever read in my life.

Do not judge a book by its cover? The cover says all, and it is all down hill from there.

I link to it just so that you will NOT buy it ... SERIOUSLY. Telling you NOT to buy it is my "Lend A Hand" for today.

The Zen of Farting by Reepah Gud Wan
    https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Farting-R.../dp/1583940855

Not even a Gassho, J (and no "GAS-sho" joke) J

PS - No, our podcast will --not-- be fart jokes!
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-18-2019 at 12:16 AM.

I'm very much looking forward to this, I do like a zen podcast and I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Gassho,

Neil

StLaH

I miss the old TreeLeaf podcasts so much. I used to listen to them in the car, and I really enjoyed hearing others asking questions (people that I see here). It was like hearing the voices of people I now quietly consider as friends and like family, so it was always heartwarming for me. I grasp the irony of my nostalgic statement since I never speak.

I really don't know what to ask for, I just know I miss the old podcast and hearing all of your voices, so I am very happy about a new podcast coming. Talk as long as you like. Maybe an extension of the forum discussion topics. Some topics are easier to talk about than they are to write about, or even to fit into a video broadcast. So maybe if a subject is better suited to a roundtable discussion, that can be a podcast topic that can be at least 30 minutes or more.

(Happy)

gassho
    kim
    st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hi Jundo,
    If you are still receiving suggestions...
    Can you talk about how a teacher can bring zen to the classroom not teaching about zen, Buddhism or Eastern Philosophy but other unrelated subjects?
    Gassho,
    Mateus/
    Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Hi Jundo,
    If you are still receiving suggestions...
    Can you talk about how a teacher can bring zen to the classroom not teaching about zen, Buddhism or Eastern Philosophy but other unrelated subjects?
    Gassho,
    Mateus/
    Sat/LAH
    Oh, we have weeks and weeks to fill (I hope), so keep the questions coming.

Do you mean how a teacher could teach, for example, high school without it being Zen directly?

Gassho, J

STLah

Oh, we have weeks and weeks to fill (I hope), so keep the questions coming.

Do you mean how a teacher could teach, for example, high school without it being Zen directly?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you, Jundo.
    You understood correctly. How could a High School, Junior High, College level and the like teacher teach his normal teaching subject and bring Zen into this activity even when the subject is not zen...?
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Thank you, Jundo.
    You understood correctly. How could a High School, Junior High, College level and the like teacher teach his normal teaching subject and bring Zen into this activity even when the subject is not zen...?
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    That's a great question! I am very interested to hear Jundo cast a few pods at that one.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OK here’s a challenge; The glass harmonica, a hurdy-gurdy, or a theramin. Which is more haunting and which is most Zen-like

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Quote Originally Posted by Myogan View Post
    OK here’s a challenge; The glass harmonica, a hurdy-gurdy, or a theramin. Which is more haunting and which is most Zen-like

Gassho
    Sat
    Clearly the theremin. But the shakuhachi is the zennest of instruments. (Wait until you hear the theme music for the podcast...)

Gassho,

Kirk
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    流文

I know nothing.

Does anyone know what happened to the Treeleaf Zendo podcast? I miss listening to Jundo’s talks driving to and from work. I must have missed something I think.

Gassho, Sat Today
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Majere View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the Treeleaf Zendo podcast? I miss listening to Jundo’s talks driving to and from work. I must have missed something I think.

Gassho, Sat Today
    Jason

Lovely. Keep your eyes on the road though.

l think we are a little behind in uploading old Talks, but if you are that determined, you can listen to any of the youtubes from around the 1:50.00 mark of each Monthly Zazenkai, and the Talks are there. You can even convert the Youtube to MP3 various free places online.

The new podcast will be on itunes and everything like that.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Here's something that has given me a lot of trouble in the last week. How proactive should a practitioner be when standing up for causes they believe in, like climate change for example? Should they stand up at all? What about joining in protests, taking action? How far should we go? I've just joined Extinction Rebellion which is a very vociferous and active organisation; I know that I will be supporting some pretty extreme actions and while I believe in the group's cause, I'm worried about a conflict with my vows.

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Here's something that has given me a lot of trouble in the last week. How proactive should a practitioner be when standing up for causes they believe in, like climate change for example? Should they stand up at all? What about joining in protests, taking action? How far should we go? I've just joined Extinction Rebellion which is a very vociferous and active organisation; I know that I will be supporting some pretty extreme actions and while I believe in the group's cause, I'm worried about a conflict with my vows.

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    I am looking at a couple of Extinction Rebellion stickers on my desk right now...

Gassho,

Neil

STLaH

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    Hi Meitou,

I've been following XR for a few months now and feel very grateful for what they've been doing for us all. If I'm not wrong, XR is all about peaceful non-violent civil disobedience (one of their core precepts too). Which of our precepts in particular do you feel you might be overstepping? I for one, do not see any conflict in our precepts and how XR has been going about their past protests on intend to do so in the future. Apologies if I misunderstood!

Gassho,
    Anant
    SaT

Quote Originally Posted by newby_x86 View Post
    Hi Meitou,

I've been following XR for a few months now and feel very grateful for what they've been doing for us all. If I'm not wrong, XR is all about peaceful non-violent civil disobedience (one of their core precepts too). Which of our precepts in particular do you feel you might be overstepping? I for one, do not see any conflict in our precepts and how XR has been going about their past protests on intend to do so in the future. Apologies if I misunderstood!

Gassho,
    Anant
    SaT
    I'm thinking more of the Eight-fold path, in particular Right Action, especially with regard to the Heathrow Airport initiative. I'm also concerned however about right thinking and how being an activist might encourage feelings of anger, attachment and duality. I think this is a dilemma that others may also come across in these difficult times and I'd like to hear Jundo and Kirk's take on it. ER is a courageous and exciting initiative and I've had no issue with what they've done in the past. Thanks for your interest Anant.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

We recorded the first episode, and I must say ... I thought it was fun and different from any "Zen" or "Buddhist" show I know. We will see.

I laughed and cried. Some things get said, that is for sure. Our first episode covered being reborn as a cat, practicing with illness, the whole controversy I stirred up recently about "Let's call Buddha 'She' and 'They'" and why "Roshi" means "Old guy."

One thing is REALLY NEED MORE QUESTIONS in the grab bag! Not just "Zen stuff" but life stuff, serious stuff and silly stuff ... the kinds of things you would ask the advise columnist about love and career, the best anime ever, fixing Global Warming and getting stains out of your sofa.

Keep em coming.

Everybody, can you post 5 questions each off the top of your head? Whatever really needs solving in your life. Thank you!

It will take some days or weeks to get the podcast up at iTunes and such, so please stay tuned.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

If over time you replace all the parts on your car, at what point is it no longer the same car?

Is truth relative or absolute?

Could a computer ever be conscious?

Why do people cry? (Asking for an alien from outer space)

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for your engagement!

Doshin
    St

I'm thinking more of the Eight-fold path, in particular Right Action, especially with regard to the Heathrow Airport initiative. I'm also concerned however about right thinking and how being an activist might encourage feelings of anger, attachment and duality. I think this is a dilemma that others may also come across in these difficult times and I'd like to hear Jundo and Kirk's take on it. ER is a courageous and exciting initiative and I've had no issue with what they've done in the past. Thanks for your interest Anant.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah

How not to feel angry against the government when it keeps doing stuff against you?

What good action can we do in the days we don’t leave home?

My wife is not Buddhist. What now?

Do “every realm of existence” mean parallel universes?

Do I have to make vegan food for oryoki?

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Where does my lap go when I stand up?

Do fish get bored?

Is there anything apart from Mind?

CAn you tell us about the story of Xuangzan? Is that trip still taken today? (wink, wink.)

Why am I never satisfied, and yet sometimes have no desires?

Gassho,
    Geoff.
    SatToday
    LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

What's your favorite movie?

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Myogan View Post

Gassho
    Sat
    The dog whistle.

How old is too old to have a baby? (We just had our first baby and ... I'm 51 and my wife is 43)
    Is spanking a child OK?
    I'm thinking of going on the keto diet. Good idea?
    What did you think of the final season of Game of Thrones?
    What's the right level of technology use that is compatible with not doing harm (to the environment, depleting limited energy supply etc.)?

Gassho
    SAT

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I've already put one up, so I'll just add four ;

I'm really short sighted - glasses during zazen on or off?

I have three old broken laptop computers, is there any way to upcycle them or parts of them instead of throwing them out?

Are there such things as Zen novels or authors? ( Fiction)

Would it be possible to have more online sesshin/retreats like rohatsu?

Miso paste, how long will it keep in the fridge?

OK that's actually five!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    Last edited by Meitou; 06-10-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

(no offense intended)

Sandwich generation issues -- too many topics to list

Raising teenagers in a digital/social media world, including the full spectrum of human experience (neurodiversity, LGBTQA+)

racism and bigotry in families

Step-families/blended families that don't get along

Substance abuse in families

Generation gap in the digital divide -- elderly who can't/won't use technology when everything is done by technology.

Increasingly complicated healthcare system and lack of access by vulnerable populations, rural areas.
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    African or European?

Gassho,

Neil

STLaH

- zen parenting - how to teach Zen/Buddhism to children without being preachy.
    - zen marriage - how can one live an authentic Zen/Buddhist life in a marriage where the other spouse has no interest in practice?
    - cookery corner - simple Japanese and Chinese recipes
    - is it permissible to do Kinhin in one's pyjama's and dressing gown while broadcasting said Kinhin via Google Hangouts?
    - how to stay true to one's practice in a corporate environment.

5 off the top of my head, although some of those sound a bit more serious than they were meant to.

Gassho,

Neil

STLaH

- Can one be 'attached to non-attachment'? If so, how do you realise and 'snap out of it'?
    ------------------------
    May you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be free from suffering.
    May I be happy, may I be healthy, may I be free from suffering.
    May we be happy, may we be healthy, may we be free from suffering.

Gassho,
    Gaman

The Zen on in-laws.

With bells and bows,
    Chishou
    Sat.

Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast