Thread: The Zen of Creativity book discussion

The Zen of Creativity book discussion

[I]The creative process, like a spiritual journey, is intuitive, non-linear, and experimental. It points us toward our essential nature, which is a reflection of the boundless creativity of the universe.[/I]
    -John Daido Loori (from the introduction to The Zen of Creativity)

Greetings from Anne and Meitou,

John Daido Loori’s book ‘The Zen of Creativity Cultivating Your Artistic Life’ has come up in several of our art circle posts over the last 8 months. Kokuu has suggested that we study this book as a group to further our creative efforts. And Meitou, (see below) one of the Treeleaf Sangha artists, has agreed to help in the discussion, but most important offer prompts so anyone who is interested can participate in working with Loori’s suggestions to create artwork, whether visual, written, music really whatever. We would encourage artists in all mediums to participate.

Daido Loori a Zen Roshi (now deceased) was a well-respected photographer. The book is a bit autobiographical but also offers the reader suggestions and directions in how to use our practice as a tool to enhance our creative connection. Really it is a very good read. He’s a fine writer.

Most important we would like to know if there is interest in pursuing this as a group project. It would require having access to a copy of the book.

Check this short YouTube video out of an interview with Daido Loori Roshi

And here's Meitou:

Hello everyone,

I'm delighted to be assisting Anne in this project and I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop and grow. I'd like to say a couple of things about the prompts that I'll be providing for you.

Firstly, my intention is to make these prompts as inclusive as possible, so even if your time is limited, if movement is limited, if you live in the middle of a city or the middle of nowhere, if you can't leave the house, I hope that you'll be able to join us.

Secondly the prompts won't require any special equipment apart from John Daido Loori's wonderful book - I've never had much money to spend on materials and out of necessity I've discovered a real love of using 'found objects', including old books, pamphlets, packaging etc. Some of you will know that I love photography, and again, I use a very cheap android. We can use almost anything for mark making, as you will see.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, I sincerely believe we all have that spark of creativity within us. When you were five and wanted to draw a house or a flower, you didn't think 'Oh I can't do that because I'm not an artist', you just went right ahead and loved what you were doing. That's the mindset with which to approach these prompts. So no special talents are required, but the prompts will ask is that you be fully open to and engaged with your experience; as such they will be closely linked to our practice. Above all, join us and enjoy!

If you'd like to know a bit more about me, you'll find my profile here https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/member.php?15859-Meitou

We are both looking forward to this art adventure.

gassho,

Anne and Meitou

~st~

Lovely Anne, thank you. I'm looking forward to this!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I read this book last year, especially because I am an amateur photographer. I found it incredibly interesting, and if there was a group discussion, I'd certainly be interested in taking part.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Dear Anne and Meitou

Thank you so much for leading this discussion and work. I am really looking forward to it!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Just ordered a copy from eBay.

Thought this was new to me, but just saw it was on my to-read list on GoodReads.

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Although I’m not an artist myself (save for some Brazilian guitar songs and long forgotten youth poems), I’m looking forward to this study. Thank you, Anne and Meitou.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat

I'm in! I'll order the book today.

This sounds like a wonderful journey to take at Treeleaf. Thank you for organizing it.

Gassho,
    -Kate
    sat
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Thank you everyone for your responses, I'm really looking forward to us all making this journey together, it will be a first for all of us, myself and Anne included, so we hope it will be rewarding for all of us.
    We intend posting the first session and prompt at the end of this week or at the weekend - I'm trusting people's copies of the books will have arrived, if not don't worry as you will still be able to take part and there will be time to catch up too.
    Keep watching this space.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hello,
    I am curious about our journey...
    Thank you for your effort.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi Meitou, Cooperix and all,

You sparked a curiosity in me and, partly through an admiration of Daido Loori’s teaching and a vague project I have in mind, I received the book yesterday and am already half way through it. I’m devouring it with the voracity of a starving man at a banquet.
    I currently don’t have any creative outlet and so feel a bit of a gate-crasher at this party so I promise to sit quietly and not be nuisance. Moreover, I’m loving the book so much that clearly something is shifting within me and who knows what may happen.

Thanks. I’m really looking forward to it.

Martyn

Sat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All aboard friends, the first discussion and prompt are now up!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island