Thread: May 10th-11th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

May 10th-11th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will be there with you all - but probably not till tomorrow morning.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Family apparently have plans for me this evening (as it is my 70th bday) (!!). Tomorrow is monthly all-day zazenkai (8:30 to 4:30) at Bird Haven Zendo here in Oregon; so I hope to sit with the YT video on Sunday some time. Thank you all for this opportunity. _()_

gassho
    doyu
    sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

I think I will be able to be there two-way tonight.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

I will try to sit on two way,but if impossible on one way.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

I will be there live one way tonight, because I may have several interruptions.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I am hoping to be there 2 way so long as Ainsley goes to bed on time!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doyū View Post
    Family apparently have plans for me this evening (as it is my 70th bday) (!!). Tomorrow is monthly all-day zazenkai (8:30 to 4:30) at Bird Haven Zendo here in Oregon; so I hope to sit with the YT video on Sunday some time. Thank you all for this opportunity. _()_

gassho
    doyu
    sat today
    Oh, Happy Birthday, Doyu!

Also, Happy Non-Birthday ... because we Zen folks do not totally believe in time.

Also, Happy Just This Birthday ... because we Zen folks also believe that every moment is our birthday, and this moment, and this ...

Gassho, J

STLah

I am planning to be there with you. Most likely one way so I don't have to comb my hair and dress up.

Gassho
    Doshin
    Stlah

Sitting with you all one-way.

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

See you there! Sitting one-way today.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. Appreciated the very practical talk. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

I trust that Dogen had a sense of humor, even if he rarely brought it out for others to see.

Thank you for the Zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

It was lovely to sit with you all, especially 2 way! (It is wonderful when children cooperate!)

Thank you for the great talk Jundo!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together to practice.

Also, in case of septic tank issues, clean up with bleach and water, and also use a moisture meter to check walls and insulation to make sure they are dry. Mold is Buddha too, but it is bad for the lungs so we must respectfully keep it at a distance.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Deep bows to Jundo, and to Sekishi, Lord of the 💩, and everyone.

And Happy Birthday to Doyu!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you for the zazenkai, have a great weekend guys!

Gassho
    Anant
    SaT

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and all. Just sat with the recording.
    Happy birthday to Doyu!

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Jundo and Sekishi.

I sit at Sunday morning right now.Have a good weekend.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Just sat this one. Thanks everybody! Today's talk reminded me of the story of when a monk asked Ummon Zenji aka Yunmen Wenyan, "What is the Buddha?"
    To which Ummon replied, "a dried shit-stick."

Nine bows to the septic Buddha.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank you all. _()_

We have a septic system, which has behaved remarkably well for decades. We attribute this at least partly to having a composting potty, which does most of the "heavy lifting." The potty has its own room in the little barn, so when one is on retreat out at the hut there is no necessity to go to the house for "services."

I have wondered what Chomei's arrangements were. We know everything except whether he had an outhouse. I suppose, given his location, a trowel would have sufficed? Same for Ryokan?

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 9.40.21 AM.png

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you all, what a wonderful talk.

Just like Sekishi's cellar/basement, as we all know life is full shit, in this case not just the metaphorical variety. However, for the roses to bloom and the corn to grow, they all need shit. We have just come to the end of the muck spreading season and the little corn buds are now breaking the surface in the fields around us. The air is purer and life abounds.

Get you shit together and accept it is what it is. Metta to your septic tank and your wellies

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, I sat the zazenkai with you all this morning.

I'm sorry to hear about your septic tank, Sekishi. I can sympathise with you, I've been up to my elbows in not so dry shit sticks myself a couple of times. But at least it provided the opportunity for a great teaching.

Gassho,

Neil

StLaH

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I sat this yesterday. Lovely, thank you!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-