Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Numb Legs

I posted this before, making some fun at the Japanese emphasis on "proper form."

Let's just say that about 1/4 of the following is true ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi, Victor!

I have some serious issues with my back/hips/pelvis and what has helped the most (and can help anyone who sits for any length of time in their day) is piriformis exercises. They literally reset the position of your pelvis, which eases the pressure off your sciatic nerve.

https://www.spine-health.com/conditi...ysical-therapy

Gassho,

Lauren

st, lah always!

Thank you, Jundo, Taigu and Lauren.
    Your suggestions will be very helpful. I'll buy the suggested book and do the exercises.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    Hi, Victor!

I have some serious issues with my back/hips/pelvis and what has helped the most (and can help anyone who sits for any length of time in their day) is piriformis exercises. They literally reset the position of your pelvis, which eases the pressure off your sciatic nerve.

https://www.spine-health.com/conditi...ysical-therapy

Gassho,

Lauren

st, lah always!
    Thanks so much!

Gassho!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

It is better to sew an individual zafu :-)

Gassho,
    Oleg
    Sat today, Lend a Hand
    Last edited by Timchenko_Oleg; 05-10-2019 at 03:21 AM.

I think it’s common among meditators to assume that this pain is normal. It’s not, at least not always. I’m actually off to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow about issues with circulation in my right leg. So don’t just assume that you need to work through the pain; it could be a serious medical issue that needs attention.

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I think it’s common among meditators to assume that this pain is normal. It’s not, at least not always. I’m actually off to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow about issues with circulation in my right leg. So don’t just assume that you need to work through the pain; it could be a serious medical issue that needs attention.

Gassho,

Kirk
    Thanks! I'll definitely bear that in mind.

Gassho
    V

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post

Gassho,

Kirk
    Yes. If a condition persists no matter what is done, or is extreme or unusual, talk to a doctor!

We will sit for your leg, Kirk.

Gassho, J

SatToday, lah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

thank you all so much for the various bits of advice on this thread i am dealing with my legs falling asleep too, and from this thread ive learned how to prepare my zafu before meditation, that i probably should stretch before practice, and that i should invest in a zabuton cushion. you all have been extremely helpful, and i am grateful.

Gassho,
    John

I just sat comfortably and without distractions for 15 minutes today thanks to the advice in this thread. thank you all so much!

Gassho, John

Quote Originally Posted by GrasshopperMan17 View Post
    I just sat comfortably and without distractions for 15 minutes today thanks to the advice in this thread. thank you all so much!

Gassho, John
    Lovely!!!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you for the wonderful advice on this thread. I currently can sit Burmese for about 20 minutes - the first 15 minutes in relative comfort and the last 5 minutes in a fair amount of discomfort. If I'm going to sit for 25 minutes or longer I use a chair. This thread has helped me both feel good about my current decision to use a chair for longer sits and given me some great advice to try in working with longer sits in Burmese style. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Jim
    Sat Today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12