Thread: Soto Iconography?

Soto Iconography?

Hello all! I saw that there was a previous thread related to Iconography as far as how Buddha looks in the Soto school. I am curious as to whether there are symbols which are commonly used in Soto and symbols which are not. For example, I imagine the vajra and Fudo Myoo are more popular in the Shingon sect. I've seen other icons, such as the manji, the Dharma wheel, and etc.

I am hoping to perhaps do some artwork involving symbols, some of which may use symbols more predominantly from other Zen traditions, but I want to stick mostly with the Soto tradition.
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Hi Victor (don't forget your "Sat Today"! )

Yes, there are a few. One will see versions of this picture ...

That has the two "Founders" of Soto Zen in Japan, Dogen Zenji on the right (the founder of Eiheiji) and his 3rd Generation descendant, Keizan Jokin Zenji (the founder of Sojiji) on the left. They surround an image of Shakyamuni Buddha.

One might ask how both Dogen, the person who actually brought the Soto Lineage from China, and his Dharma Great Great Grandson are both "founders" of Soto in Japan. Both Eiheiji and Sojiji are considered the dual "Head Temples" of the Soto sect (Soto-shu) in Japan, and their abbots switch off on being the "Pope" of Soto-shu (my Dharma Grandfather, Niwa Zenji, was the Abbot of Eiheiji and the "Pope").

The answer is a bit of sect politics. Dogen brought Soto to Japan, and introduced Shikantaza Zazen, but was not a great "popularizer." Keizan, on the other hand. was a great popularizer of Soto, spreading it to the common people and widely across Japan, by incorporating many many popular practices into Soto ranging from performing ceremonies of prayers for well-being, worldly success, for a good rebirth for one's ancestors after death, mystical and esoteric practices, to exorcisms and all kinds of things. The result was that, although "Eiheiji" is Dogen's temple, "Sojiji" ended up with hundreds and hundreds more local temples loyal to it, and is much more powerful in the organization. Sojiji and Eiheiji had a big rivalry about who is the boss for about 500 years, but they reached a settlement in the 19th century and would share being "Head Temple." That is why Keizan is there.

I used to be more critical of Keizan for "watering down" Soto teachings, and I am still not a fan of "prayers for worldly success" or "exorcisms" and the like. However, I do appreciate that he made bridges for ordinary, common people to find some way into Soto teachings (most ordinary people were not interested or equipped to understand and practice Zazen then, and even today, much preferring prayers for good business and health and a good rebirth). My teacher, Nishijima, tended to be much much more on Dogen's side of practice and the emphasis on Zazen, and of course, so am I in our Sangha.

The Buddha in the middle is Shakyamuni Buddha, but really this is not only the "human" Shakyamuni Buddha who was born and died in India. As you can see, it is quite an idealized depiction. This is also the "Enjoyment Body" of Shakyamuni, the Buddha of the Lotus Sutra, that exists between (yet also is) the historical "human" Buddha and the "Emptiness" Buddha that exists as the whole universe. The Enjoyment Body is more the idealized, wondrous powers, super-human Buddha that "enjoys" all the amazing qualities, abilities and perfections of a timeless, eternal Buddha. Yes, it is a religious notion not unlike the difference between "Jesus" the man and "Jesus" the Father Son & Holy Ghost, the religious ideal somewhat beyond this ordinary world. (In my new book, I take such "perfect" Buddhas as symbols for the ideal and "best" that people believe possible within us).

Two other marks associated with Soto-shu which are sometimes seen are these. The crest for Eiheiji, at the right below, is a 'gentian' flower, and for Sojiji Head Temple at the left below is a pauloenia. (I do not know why those particular flowers, and am not much of a flower man. I heard once that there was some indirect connection to the crests of Samurai families of the past who may have been sponsors. All I can say is that every group in Japan has its own flower, the Imperial Family being the Chrysanthemum.).

The two crests combined, as here, is the current emblem of the Soto school.

Yes, there are little "crucifixes" in the Eiheiji crest, but I believe that it is pure coincidence as it is just part of the flower. Every religious group, university, club, company or family has a crest in Japan, often depicting a particular flower. Here are some :

http://www.hari-kamon.com/plant/Page/RINDOU/index.html

We do not typically add such marks, or a ring (with itself many meanings from the unity of all things, to just an ancient button hook to close the robes), to the simplicity of the Nyohoe Rakusu.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

By the way ...

I imagine the vajra and Fudo Myoo are more popular in the Shingon sect. I've seen other icons, such as the manji, the Dharma wheel, and etc.
    Yes, but sometimes one will come across these things because many folks like Keizan mixed and matched or introduced things from other corners of Japanese Buddhism. The Dharma Wheel is quite universal through all sects.
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-21-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you so much, Jundo-sensei!

I left of Sat Today because unfortunately I haven't sat today yet. I intend to before bed though!

Thank you so much for the information and it is very interesting to me! I also prefer more of a focus on zazen myself, so this place feels like home to me. That said, I also have a deep interest in more esoteric traditions. I know you are skeptical of paranormal phenomena and I respect that. For me personally, I have had many experiences which cause me to lean toward belief in the paranormal to some degree. Exorcism is particularly of interest, though also a bit of an unnerving notion.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Gassho,
    Victor
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Seems the broken pine needles sewn onto the rakusu would be one.

Sat today. Gassho.

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Thank you Jundo for this teaching.

Shakyamuni got enlightened after sitting for 6 years, and Bodhidharma got enlightened after sitting for 9 years. As far as I know, these 2 "founders" didnt do any esoteric practices. I believe in the line "The Great Way is not difficult,
    for those who have no preferences." Thus, I believe in just sitting.

SatToday
    Gassho _/\_

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryushi View Post
    Seems the broken pine needles sewn onto the rakusu would be one.

Sat today. Gassho.
    Great point! Thanks

Gassho

SatToday

Yes, the pine needles on the maneki (back collar) of the Rakusu.

I came across this nice comment on the Pine Needles by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi ... he seems to just take it "as it is" a bit ...

Student A: What is the meaning of the design on the maneki?

Suzuki-roshi: Hmm? Yeah?

Student A: Yeah. The design?

Suzuki-roshi: Oh, that is-I don't think that it-that is just to keep, you know, keep two-two parts tied together. It is pine, you know, pine leaf. That is, you know-in Japan, pine symbolize-pine is-pine tree is-is supposed to be-first of all, it is always green, and pine tree lives long long time, and it doesn't change its color all year round. So we have some special feeling about pine, and that pine leaf we use in various way, you know, that design. When you make some-some furoshiki,[a square piece of cloth in Japan used for wrapping items such as gifts] you know, we put pine leaves [on them], you know. I think that is why maybe better to ask Yoshida-roshi [laughs]. He may have some reason-she may have some reason, but I think that is more very common, you know, for Japanese in Japanese culture to use pine leaves. You notice, you know, many-we have many pine-tree design or pine-leaves design. We like bamboo also. Bamboo.

http://suzukiroshi.sfzc.org/archives...emore=y#_ftn12
    I am not sure if Yoshida Roshi had a better answer.

A Teacher who I don't know, Judith Putman, adds this comment ...

On the neck piece is a continuous line of stitching representing a Casuarina needle. In the West we call it “pine needle.” It represents the green shoots of the Way. Each needle is a different length all coming from the same source.
    John Tarrant once said this ...

On the back of the rakusu are crossed casuarina needles from an ancient Buddhist tree signfying that this is a mountain path, signifying that it takes you deep into the journey into the true self. As Rilke said, so that we walk into the silence, for hours meeting no-one. Also the needles are the green shoots of the Way, the manner in which the Way will spring up like dandelions in a pavement in the city. Somewhere, no matter what state you are in, you can always find a little green trace of it. There are two needles crossed with each other. Every time you are caught in an opposite, at bottom there is always some unity there, if you can find it. There's always some way to hold the two together. And that is the enlightened task. So that we can find the true action.
    I found this drawing of casuarina needles ... and it seems not so far off ...

A photo of casuarina needles

The Rinzai folks have a different mark ... a triangle ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2019 at 03:53 AM.

I came across this nice comment on the Pine Needles by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi ... he seems to just take it "as it is" a bit ...
    I find it very odd that there isn’t an “official” explanation offered by the Sotō Shu. I haven’t been able to find one on their site. Once, the topic popped up on the San Fran Zen Center Facebook page, so I replied inquiring as to an official meaning. The page owner pointed me to a Treeleaf forum thread instead!

Sat today. Gassho.

I find it very odd that there isn’t an “official” explanation offered by the Sotō Shu. I haven’t been able to find one on their site. Once, the topic popped up on the San Fran Zen Center Facebook page, so I replied inquiring as to an official meaning. The page owner pointed me to a Treeleaf forum thread instead!

Sat today. Gassho.
    Let me ask at the Soto Zen Buddhist Association. Maybe we will get even more rather different explanations. Sometimes in Buddhism, the origin of some traditions is lost in the fog of time.

Gassho, J

STLah

In hindsight, I realize it is a very Western mindset to want to know "the official" answer.

Sat today. Gassho.

In hindsight, I realize it is a very Western mindset to want to know "the official" answer.

Sat today. Gassho.
    I am starting to get some nice answers from SZBA folks, and will post highlights later.

In the meantime, one of my favorite Zen stories. I have actually had this experience quite a few times in Japan when I have asked about the meaning and origins of some arcane practice, and have been told in response, "well, nobody knows, but that is how we do things."

When the Zen spiritual teacher and his disciples began their evening Zazen, the kitten that lived in the monastery made such noise that it distracted them. So the teacher ordered that the kitten be tied up during the evening practice. A year or so later, the teacher died, but the disciples continued the practice of tying up the cat during Zazen sessions. And when the cat eventually died, another cat was brought to the monastery and tied up.

Centuries later, learned descendants of the spiritual teacher wrote scholarly treatises about the religious significance of tying up a cat for Zazen practice.
    Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo; (how traditions are started)
    Thank you for relating the story on Tying the cat during Zazen. I just told Doreen the story and she told me about the Young Couple's first Easter when the wife went to cook the Ham she cut both ends off the ham and threw them away. The husband asks why and she says that's how my Mother always prepared the ham. So when he gets a chance he asks his Mother-in-law why she always cut off the good meat and threw it away. She replied that was the way he mother always did it. So, he visits the 92 year old grandmother in a Nursing Home and asks why she did that to the ham and she replies, " I had to cut the ends off so the ham would fit in the only pan I had."

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    I just told Doreen the story and she told me about the Young Couple's first Easter when the wife went to cook the Ham she cut both ends off the ham and threw them away. The husband asks why and she says that's how my Mother always prepared the ham. So when he gets a chance he asks his Mother-in-law why she always cut off the good meat and threw it away. She replied that was the way he mother always did it. So, he visits the 92 year old grandmother in a Nursing Home and asks why she did that to the ham and she replies, " I had to cut the ends off so the ham would fit in the only pan I had."

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Here it is.

Do you know?

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candles from Head Temple Eiheiji, Kakunen?

On the question of the "Broken Pine Needles," some -very- interesting responses from Soto teachers at the SZBA. Here are three:

I have heard from my japanese-american friends, whose grandmothers sew these into their collars, that -- as is indicated below -- this is a cluster of green pine needles, all coming from the same source; one is broken indicating that while bad luck may come, the unifying aspect is an indicator of the need to stay connected.
    Mitsu Suzuki Sensei told me that the pine stitch is commonly used for good wishes, for instance on baby quilts.
    And the next story is very neat ...

In the book "How to Sew Your Own Japanese Clothes" it says "Semori (literally, 'back protectors') are motifs stitched on garments to protect the wearers from evil influences. These charms are placed high on the back of the garment, just between the shoulder blades. Semori are most often seen on children's garments and on adults' garments having no center back seam, the belief being that a center back seam serves the same function as a charm." Several examples are pictured, including both pine boughs and pine needles, and the pine needle stitch is like the one we use at SFZC but facing right instead of left, and aiming upward not horizontally.
    Gassho, J

STLah

I had always internally understood what the broken pine needle meant, but it is interesting to read where it ACTUALLY sprang up from. It's a nice sentiment. Some unsavory moments, but always whole.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Candles from Head Temple Eiheiji, Kakunen?

On the question of the "Broken Pine Needles," some -very- interesting responses from Soto teachers at the SZBA. Here are three:

And the next story is very neat ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Jundo

Thank you for your comment.I make a mistake to understand.

My English is not good.I keep on practice everyday.

This is chopstick of Eihei-ji, 1st temple at Soto sect.

Can I pick up pine needle by chopstick?

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Does anyone know if one can purchase this as a wall scroll?

Nine bows,
    Chishou
    Sat

Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chishou View Post
    Does anyone know if one can purchase this as a wall scroll?

Nine bows,
    Chishou
    Sat

Taigu finding one from an Osaka shop or Japan web page (he buys Buddhist good frequently) is your best bet.

Gassho J

stlah