Thread: Shunmyo Masuno's book and essential teachings

Shunmyo Masuno's book and essential teachings

Hi all,

I just wanted to share this article with you. Masuno emphasizes the importance of practice in Zen: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.XLQ43fZuJPY

(I'm not a student of Shunmyo Masuno, I never have been, and this is not an attempt to promote his new book).

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah
    Last edited by Seibu; 04-15-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: disclaimer

And an impossibly long reading list grows one book longer...
    Gassho
    Nick
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just read the review myself and added it to the list of books to read.

Thank you.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

He had with 'Zen' then finished me off with 'simple living'. Another one to the never ending list!

Thanks for the link.

Gassho,

Neil

STLah

Doshin
    Stlah

Thank you for the link. The book is added to the growing list which, I assume, like
    a zen garden, can never be finished

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat
    Last edited by Washin; 04-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thanks for posting this. Like Washin my list of to read books keeps getting longer.

It looks like this is published under two titles. It looks like these are the same books - same number of pages - publication dates are 2 days apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Simple-Li.../dp/024137183X

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Simple-Li...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Like Washin my list of to read books keeps getting longer.

It looks like this is published under two titles. It looks like these are the same books - same number of pages - publication dates are 2 days apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Simple-Li.../dp/024137183X

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Simple-Li...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    From what I can see, the Table of Contents is the same too. Strange.

Also, congratulate me, I got back my signed contract with Wisdom Publications for my book on reading Dogen! I'm an author! (Tentative new title: "The Dance of Being." They changed it for some reason I must find out from my original "The Zen Master's Dance" which I still care for)

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    From what I can see, the Table of Contents is the same too. Strange.

Also, congratulate me, I got my signed contract with Wisdom Publications for my book on reading Dogen! I'm an author!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Congratulations Jundo!!!!! That is awesome!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Congratulations
    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Also, congratulate me, I got back my signed contract with Wisdom Publications for my book on reading Dogen! I'm an author! (Tentative new title: "The Dance of Being." They changed it for some reason I must find out from my original "The Zen Master's Dance" which I still care for)

Gassho, J

STLah
    Congratulations Roshi That's so cool!

Gassho,
    Jack
    sattoday/lah

Good news Jundo

Doshin
    Stlah

Congratulations, Jundo-sensei.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Congrats Jundo!
    Don't forget about us when you're all rich and fancy.
    Gassho
    Nick
    Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by nickbo View Post
    Congrats Jundo!
    Don't forget about us when you're all rich and fancy.
    Gassho
    Nick
    Satlah

Jundo is already rich and fancy - in spirit.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

Congratulations, Jundo; well deserved.

Gassho,
    Shujin

ST/LAH

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Kyoudou Shujin 教道 守仁

Awesome news, Jundo. Congratulations!

Gassho
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching

Awesome Jundo! That is excellent to hear. I am excited for it. Congrats.

Gassho
    John
    STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    Jundo is already rich and fancy - in spirit.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    I'm rich in spirit too, but I wouldn't mind also being rich in my bank account!
    Gassho,
    Nick
    Satlah

Thank you Jack, this is now queued on the kindle. Congratulations Jundo, I'm really happy that you'll have the opportunity to reach an even wider audience, well deserved - we will all be wanting an autographed copy of course!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Darn, I wish new books on Zen would get devastating reviews ... now like all of your lists mine has gotten longer.

Congratulations Sensei! Of course your book will be placed at the top of my list, once it is published... no matter what title gets on the cover.

Gassho
    Gero who sat today

Congratulations Jundo - that's great news!

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

Wonderful! Congratulations, Jundo!

Gassho
    Meishin
    ST

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with an unbelievably long reading list.

Congratulations, Jundo!

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Hey Jundo,
    Is there an anticipated release date for your book?
    Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
    Hey Jundo,
    Is there an anticipated release date for your book?
    Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Sat

Summer ... 2020. All things in their time.

Apparently, the "professional" publishing world actually has a process before a book is released.

Gassho, J

STLah

I like The Dance of Being. Will there also be a subtitle, something with Dogen in it?
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I like The Dance of Being. Will there also be a subtitle, something with Dogen in it?
    They told me that the title actually has not been decided, so "Zen Master's Dance" is still in the running.

Gassho, J

STLah

Oh wow, congratulations Jundo! And another book to add to that list...

What about 'A Dance of Dragons'? i don't see any issues there

Gassho,

Neil

STLah

Congratulations Jundo-Sensei, its wonderful news

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Just a note that i am almost finished reading this book, and it really is quite good. Thanks to those who recommended it.

i will be back with a full review soon. We will use it in some way around Treeleaf i think.

Gassho, J

STLah

Just a note that i am almost finished reading this book, and it really is quite good. Thanks to those who recommended it.

i will be back with a full review soon. We will use it in some way around Treeleaf i think.

Gassho, J

STLah

Look forward to your thoughts. I have it on nightstand and read a few chapters each night

Gassho
    Doshin
    Stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-16-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Look forward to your thoughts. I have it on nightstand and read a few chapters each night

Gassho
    Doshin
    Stlah
    Same here; it's a simple but nourishing read, a lovely companion.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I just ordered the book, too.
    Thank you for mentioning.

Playing with japanesque gardens myself, I know some of his garden designs from garden related publications.
    His thoughts about Zen and Japanese Gardens are very inspiring to me.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

JUNDO REVIEW: The Art of Simple Living: 100 Daily Practices from a Japanese Zen Monk for a Lifetime of Calm and Joy by Shunmyo Masuno

This is a wonderful, wise and unique book. The Soto Priest and noted Japanese garden designer, Shunmyo Masuno, has put together 100 little lessons (each one is less than a page long), stories and tiny practices to bring a drop of Zen Wisdom and Compassion to our day (e.g., "plant a single seed, water it, and watch it closely each day as it grows" or "don't throw away, and completely repurpose, something you were about to toss in the trash.") Most of the practices take no time at all, can be done only once, or now and then, or as a permanent habit, and are very simple.

Will it be life changing? Well, it will change this one moment, and lead you to notice and experience aspects of life that might have slipped by you in our daily hustle and bustle. It is about slowing down, appreciating the small things, accepting the ups and downs of ordinary life a little bit more. I think that such small drops of change and stillness will have a positive and cumulative effect, yes. Each small practice or insight adds to bigger changes in our hearts. (Do make it a habit to say "thank you" when life hands you something even unwelcome, do try to really listen to a friend or stranger for a minute although you are otherwise distracted).

He does not mean for us to do all 100 practices each day, but maybe some only once, some now and then, and some might really stick to us and become a regular part of life. Try them and see.

For that reason, in a few weeks, I think we will begin a "Simple Living" Circle here at Treeleaf, similar to our art, sewing and Oryoki circles, for folks who might wish to get together and go through the exercises as a group, sharing their experiences. I am thinking that the exercises are so small, simple and not time consuming (maybe a minute or so for most), that we could do a couple each week, thus moving through the book's 100 pages as a one year cycle. When it opens, the group will be here:

I also have added the book close to the top our Treeleaf recommended Zen book list, with a recommendation for beginners and everyone.

SUGGESTED BOOK & MEDIA LIST for TREELEAF SANGHA
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...REELEAF-SANGHA

So, I recommend the book to everyone. Although it will not revolutionize the world, it may revolutionize this single moment for you, or corners of your life. I invite you to join our "Simple Living" Circle when that starts in a couple of weeks.

Gassho, J

Ps - The book seems to be available as "Zen your life: Kleine Veränderungen mit großer Wirkung" in German. It seems to also be available in English under the alternative title, "Zen: The Art of Simple Living."
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-21-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Wonderful initiative Jundo, count me in.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you, Jundo. I will be there.

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

The book arrived and I am happy digesting it in the way you described.
    Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

A good way to approach this gem. I will follow along.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St

Thank you, Jundo. Another great practice suggestion for the Sangha. I’ll look for the book and begin with you all as soon as I can buy it.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    Last edited by Tai Do; 05-21-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Bad English correction.

Please count me in. My bookstore will have it ready on Wednesday.
    Thank you!

Gero (sat today and lah)

I'm ordering the book as well so I can join too.

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday

Today my book arrived and I'm ready to follow along too.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Our "Simple Living" Practice Circle is now open ... please stick in a toe or dive in ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...apters-1-and-2

Gassho, Jundo

STLah