Thread: April 12th-13th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Remember Daylight Savings!

April 12th-13th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Remember Daylight Savings!

REMEMBER- Daylight Savings had changed; Check Start Times Below.

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there with instruments ready!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Good morning from Japan.

I already sit this morning.

So I will not sit in this time.

I hope you will have good week end.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Hi Jundo,

I will be doing my best to be there live 2 way.

Gassho,
    Junkyo
    SAT

Thank you, Jundo. I will join two-way, tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link if needed ... hopefully it works. =)

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...jhekoesurxgzie

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'll make an effort to show up. Microphone is muted.

I am extremely hearing impaired. Monkey see, monkey do.

doyu sat today _()_

Hi Everyone,
    joining you all one way.

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Thank you, Jundo, for a review of bowing during Zazenkai for this is helpful.

Tai shi
    sat
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone, as always it is wonderful to sit together, both in and out of the hospital!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday?LAH

Mp
    Thank you JUndo, Kyonin, and everyone .... beyond space, time, and little computer cameras we all just sit! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone who sat and will sit. Beautiful Zazen
    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. I was glad to see so many participating. It was a lovely talk about how meaningful this community is.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

That was lovely ... for some reason I could not find the controls and so was trying to mute by turning off the mike in Preferences, oh well.

gassho. doyu sat today!

Thanks to all

Doshin
    Stlah

Thank you for sitting with me, sangha. This has been a rough week trying to get approved for social assistance while expecting a visit from my mother.

Jundo, I see what you are saying about Brad teaching a type of skikantaza that connects us boundlessly through space and time, and I approve of this message. I have oexperienced stronger levels of concentration when sitting with a group in our sessions. I will personally see what Brad has said about sitting without the use of an online camera on his platforms. I thank Brad for encouraging me to start my zazen practice, as I've failed to have a "full-time" practice in the past. Having Tree Leaf as an accessible platform for meditation has helped me stay on track, and stick to the practice.

I may have wrong perception about what Brad is talking about with Shikantaza being ruined by the camera, what I imagined when you spoke of how he doesn't like using the camera is how he tries to "drop" his environment. This is entirely from his own empiricial view, I hope he does practice online so I may sit with him as well. I've entertained the thought about what it'd be like having him as a guest for our Zazenkai. I think he is doing zazen in private because he want's to drop the stimulus of the environment he is currently in without the distraction of a camera.

Question of the Week: Does anybody feel that practicing zazen helps us train in skills that grown ups don't do? I've thought about how I used to get "high" on marijuana to release the stress of working in retail, but I feel with zazen I learn how to be self-aware. It does go beyond being self-aware, because I'm learning how to manage the air quality inside this apartment. I wish I could write a blog entry with a real blog titled "What Zazen Taught Me About Managing Air Quality in a Home". Hey, it will happen one day. Am I right? Hey, the laundry doesn't fold itself. I thought I'd mention that, because I started zazenakai late with the cause being a bleeding nose from the dry air. One of the many inversions of meditation I've found, in terms of learning a skill that is. You can't do zazen a wrong or right way.

Gassho,

Sean

Sat Today-ay-ay
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

It was a very meaningful talk describing one of the important reasons I joined the Treeleaf sangha, that is, there is no Zen sangha where I live. Although this is the case, I was originally led here by Jundo's teaching, encountered coincidently both on this website during Google searches on various Zen topics and in Facebook groups. I am watching the videos here and reading a lot of Soto Zen literature. Sitting for a half hour every day has been a good start for shikantaza practice, and I hope to be a regular at Zazenkai.

My internet crashed just before the Verse of Atonement and Four Vows, but all is well.

Thank you, everyone, for this online community.

Gassho,
    Wuyi

SAT/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Transcending time and space, I just sat with you all.
    Thank you so much!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you for this zazenkai

Anant
    SaT

Thank you very much.

I really sit today.

My teacher(Monk Ogurosawa) recommend to sit here today.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and all the Sangha for this Zazenkai. I am very happy this community gives me the opportunity to sit together with fellow practitioners, allowing for timeshifting.

Gero (sat today with all of you / lah)

Thank you. I sat with you all this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I did want to say, Friday night on Que at 8 p.m. Central Daylight, I practiced one way, the complete Zazenkai live beginning to end without end until end sitting in my office chair, because it has arms and is adjustable to height of my desktop computer, a mini tower which is probably old already, purchased two years ago, and will be done about the time I get it paid off, third generation since joining Treeleaf. I need this chair because of extreme arthritis, word to the young; don't get old. I went beginning to end without stop, sitting, walking, sitting Dharma, sitting with all chants and pauses. Excuse me Jundo, very long winded.

Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I did want to say, Friday night on Que at 8 p.m. Central Daylight, I practiced one way, the complete Zazenkai live beginning to end without end until end sitting in my office chair, because it has arms and is adjustable to height of my desktop computer, a mini tower which is probably old already, purchased two years ago, and will be done about the time I get it paid off, third generation since joining Treeleaf. I need this chair because of extreme arthritis, word to the young; don't get old. I went beginning to end without stop, sitting, walking, sitting Dharma, sitting with all chants and pauses. Excuse me Jundo, very long winded.

Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    The chair is fine.

Kokuu posted some nice instructions for chair sitting last week. However, if they don't apply to your particular body or physical needs, then sit the way you need to sit, whatever feels best.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...for-ChairZazen

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you everyone, I sat with you after the fact as my little one naps with me during the live sitting.

SAT/Lah
    Natahl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat on demand over the weekend. Thank you all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Just sat with you all. Thank you.

Deep bows,
    Jack
    Sattoday

As always, sat after de event itself. Thank you all for this Zazenkai and for our practice.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAT
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Just finished sitting this lovely zazenkai.
    Thank you everyone. Thank you, Jundo, for encouraging talk.

Gassho
    Washin
    Sat. In SSR in front of the cam.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.