Thread: April 5th-6th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI! - featuring Shingen!

April 5th-6th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI! - featuring Shingen!

REMEMBER- Daylight Savings has changed! Check Start Times Below.

Today's Talk will feature Rev. Shingen, who will look at life and the Sandokai
    (see below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/april...-the-sandokai/

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 07-16-2019 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today's Talk will be by Rev. Shingen, who writes the he had an experience the other day with his new job, and thought it would be a good teaching - "a teaching through real life." He writes ...

----

... because we do the Sandokai on the monthly zazen, this has some relation to it. So I have been reading the book by Suzuki Roshi, "Branching Streams Flow in the Dark". Even though their translation is a bit different, there is a relational section to my story.

So here is the book if folks want to follow along: https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Branching-Streams.pdf

I am working from pg 75 - Fifth Talk / Today We May Be Very Happy and the Next Day We Don't Know What Will Happen to Us

I will be speaking around our translation of the Sandokai and this section ...

Sights differ primarily in shape and character
    And sounds in harsh and soothing tones.

The dark makes all words one;
    The brightness distinguishes between good and bad phrases
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-05-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... I will be there live and also your Ino today. Look forward to practicing with you all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you very much.

I will sit on one way,because I will work at welfare facility.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Really looking forward to this! I will be time shifting my sitting with you all.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you, Jundo and Shingen. I will join two-way, tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

I am very excited for this! Due to a work conflict, I'll sit with you all over the weekend.

Gassho,
    Melanie
    SatToday/LAH

Greetings all ... I'm going to give this a go and join two-way, tech allowing!

Gassho,
    Amy
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by testingwithfire View Post
    Greetings all ... I'm going to give this a go and join two-way, tech allowing!

Gassho,
    Amy
    SatToday/LAH
    Hey Amy,

Being that this will be your first zazenkai ... just so you know, I will be posting the link in this thread 10mins or so before the start of it. So please check here and then just click the link. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the link to today's zazenai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...90706458&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

The link doesn't work in Firefox. I'll join via the one-way stream.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by testingwithfire View Post
    The link doesn't work in Firefox. I'll join via the one-way stream.
    Do you have a different browser?

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Try this link too ...

Not working on Chrome either.

Gassho,
    Mitka
    SAT
    Peace begins inside

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitka View Post
    Not working on Chrome either.

Gassho,
    Mitka
    SAT
    Did you try the second link from Jundo?

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...i3zfjnnqmuujie

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Last edited by Mp; 04-05-2019 at 11:21 PM.

To all the folks having technical issues to join the Hangout today, you are with us in heart. We will get to the bottom of it for next time.

Here is our Funky Hokey Pokey for today ... cultural appropriation? ... just the Hokey Pokey ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you. And thank you Shingen for the talk.

Gassho
    Doshin
    st

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Daniella, Daniella's sister, and all of you. Have a great night. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo and Shingen for another wonderful Zazenkai; and Shingen for your enlightening Teisho. May everyone have a great week.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Shingen for your lovely talk. Wish you luck on your new job. I find it very beautiful and important that you will be in a position to be there for people in their suffering. We need more people like you are who are willing to do that work. Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Did you try the second link from Jundo?

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...i3zfjnnqmuujie

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Yes, but for some reason Hangouts wasn't allowing camera, so I just sat one way. Will try again next week.

Gassho,
    Mitka
    SAT
    Peace begins inside

Joining one-way is good, too. Thank you, Shingen, for a wonderful talk. Thank you Jundo, as always. I'm sorry your wife was in a car accident, but glad that she is fine. Congratulations to Taigu, for his marriage.

Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

I came in one-way for the last third or so of sitting and kinhin, because I wasn't watching for the link. It was a wonderful time of "putting that hammer down."

Gassho, Doyu
    sat today

Thank you for the Zazenkai. It was my first time joining and I will participate as much as possible in the future. As I was late, I have watched the video.

Thank you, Shingen, for the dharma talk. It resonates and it benefits.

In Indonesia, everybody has a maid, and ours walked in as I was doing the Hokey-Pokey (funky version) with my friends on the computer. That should have some interesting consequences for American-Indonesian relations. So much for my authoritative veneer.

Gassho,
    Wuyi

SAT/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

I sit in one way.

Thank you very much.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for this zazenkai. Had to sit one way today.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all for the zazenkai.

Gassho
    Anant
    Sat

Thanks everyone for this zazenkai. I sat my first instalment this morning and will continue with further instalments most mornings this week.

Gassho,

Neil

ST/LAH

Just finished sitting this.
    Thank you Jundo and all. Thank you for the talk, Shingen

Gassho
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Sat the monthly zazenkai today (a little late, as always). Thank you all for this ceremony.
    Thank you, Shingen, for the talk. It made me reflect many things in my life.

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

My apologies for the delay with podcast episodes. Here is Shingen's talk from the April Zazenkai:

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi everyone,

My apologies for the delay with podcast episodes. Here is Shingen's talk from the April Zazenkai:

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Thanks buddy! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH