Thread: instructions for ChairZazen

instructions for ChairZazen

JUNDO NOTE - Please see my criticism of this pamphlet below.

Dear all

A useful post by James Ford on sitting zazen in a chair which may be useful for our members who find it challenging to sit on a cushion. The instructions are taken from a Sotoshu pamphlet.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/monkey...air-zazen.html

The pamphlet itself is here: https://www.sotozen-net.or.jp/wp2/wp...hair_zazen.pdf

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-05-2019 at 06:07 AM.

This is very nice. Thank you Kokuu.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Very useful, thank you Kokuu
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

This is very bad.

It is strange that they left out any mention of not judging and allowing thoughts to pass. It is a great omission, and I wonder how that is not included. The physical aspect of sitting is very helpful, but this is not a complete instruction in Shikantaza.

I would also add that one should sit in one's chair as the throne of Buddha, the one place to be and act needed in the whole universe in that moment ... absolutely nothing lacking, and no "distraction" ever possible ... but I (inspired by Dogen) am prone to say such things that could scare away newcomers.

It is my feeling that some of the Japanese priests are pushing a kind of watered down relaxation mindfulness these days, but it is just my suspicion.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-05-2019 at 06:16 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo

I saw it as a set of instructions for the physical nature of zazen rather than a complete guide, more of an addition to Fukanzazengi than a replacement for it.

The pamphlet could have been more explicit about that or included a part about watching thoughts pass.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi Jundo

I saw it as a set of instructions for the physical nature of zazen rather than a complete guide, more of an addition to Fukanzazengi than a replacement for it.

The pamphlet could have been more explicit about that or included a part about watching thoughts pass.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Hmmm, I don't think so since they included very specific instructions on more than just chair use, such as about preparing the room, the breath and eyes, so I think it could have been better.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

My last time on a seiza bench, alas, was about a year ago, and I never did manage a cushion. So now I am inspired by the memorial statue of Mugai Nyodai in her abbot's chair. No more moon in the water. _()_

gassho, doyu, sat today

I saved the PDF pamphlet for later reference. It includes things to consider that I never thought of. Some things, I am unable to do because of structural problems, but I am so used to modifying and adapting, I just work around things now. I actually "gave up" on traditional zazen a while ago when I realized that it always causes me pain and to fall asleep as a result. But this article has some interesting suggestions that I can modify, and noted on the reminder to letting thoughts pass while not judging.

gassho
    kim
    st/lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.