Thread: ARTS: How to Haiku

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ARTS: How to Haiku

Dear Treeleafers

As some of you may know, I write and publish haiku poetry. As a result, it has long been on my mind to offer a brief introduction to the art and hopefully dispel some common misconceptions on what a haiku is and how to write one.

This is, however, written from a perspective of English Language Haiku (ELH). There is much in common with the traditional Japanese form but traditional haiku contain a great deal of cultural history that cannot always transfer to English and other western languages. For example, Japanese season words are quite fixed and there are reference books explaining which season words (kigo) fit with each season. In the west season words are rather more free, given the differences in the natural environment and climate where the poem is being written. Spring in Scotland is very different to spring in California! Capturing the essence of the time and place is seen as more important.

In addition, Japanese work often draws on earlier poems and literature from China and Japan. Few of us in the west are sufficiently versed in classical eastern literature to do this.

That all said, much of the ideas of haiku can still be produced in western languages, so it is not a wasted effort to do so. We can draw on the traditional approaches and use them to inspire our work as we reflect our own life and relationship with the natural world.

As with most forms of art, do not expert to write perfect haiku from the word go. It took me ten years of writing before I began to publish anything of note and I am still merely competent rather than expert. However, I feel qualified to offer an introduction to haiku writing here.

There will be space to leave your own poems for feedback. I cannot respond to dozens of pieces of work, though, so write and write than post your best two or three.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-24-2021 at 02:39 AM.