Thread: I was asked who/what I bow to when I have to interrupt a sitting

I was asked who/what I bow to when I have to interrupt a sitting

Hi guys,

One of my kids asked me why I bow when I had to interrupt a sitting. I didn't have a good answer. I wanted to say the cosmos but I'm not quite sure if that's right. It's also a little abstract for a 5 year old. What do you folks think?

Thanks,

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

I would say we bow when ending our sitting from a place of gratitude. Gratitude for all beings who sat with us, gratitude for the conditions that allowed us to sit, and gratitude for the interruptions too! We of course also bow out of gratitude and respect to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha as well.

I think at 5 years old most kinds understand gratitude at some level and it is a good age to begin to develop a mind of gratitude.

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Hoseki,
    In the martial Arts, we bow to each other as a sign of respect.
    In the military, we salute as a sign of respect for the rank, or office that's held.
    I believe we bow as a sign of respect to Buddha, Dharma and Sangha..in respect for the teaching, etc.

For a 5 year old, perhaps you could explain our bowing, as a way of saying thank you...the same way they thank Dad for teaching them about their favorite sport, or letting them watch their favorite cartoon.

As they grow older, you can expand on the idea with other things they can relate to and comprehend.

Hope that helps a little.

Gassho
    Koki
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

In the Catholic Church, there are many statues, icons, etc. It can be confusing to people, who ask, why do they pray to statues, etc.
    It is just a image, which represents who they believe is behind the statue..God, Mary, etc...similiarly, we bow to those who have lead the way, the teaching, in gratitude.
    Native Americans look to nature, for the Great Spirit.
    Wiccan, look to nature and the elements, air, earth, fire, water.
    The Asatru (Norse), look to Odin, the All Father.

I think, we, in the big picture, look to all the universe, in gratitude, as we are all,connected, to all things.
    They are all GIFTS.

You may wish to use the idea of GIFTS, to your child.
    You recieve a gift, you say thank you.
    Our bowing, is a way of SHOWING thanks, without words.

Sorry to ramble, LOL

Koki

Mp
    Hey Hoseki,

Bowing has many meanings and it really does come from what your heart and intention is. We bow for gratitude, respect, recognizing the Buddha Nature in each and everyone of us.

If it was me and I was explaining it to a 5 year old, I would tell them it is a sign of being nice, friendly, and accepting people as they are. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi Hoseki,

We bow for respect to our center practice: zazen itself! Also, we bow in respect for the other people sitting with you whether they are in the same room or not.

Finally, we bow to life, the Buddha, Master Dogen and all teachers in all places and times.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks folks. I'm going to try to explain it to my little one when we get home. I'm not quite sure which one I will use. I think I might show her insight timer to let her know these are people who sat with me.

Gassho

Hoseki
    sattoday

Bowing is humbleness. Since we don’t know anything we have to follow the way , the dharma

Sat /lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

I believe he's looking for help on how to best explain and make sense of why he bows...to a 5 year old.

Gassho
    Koki

i have a small sandalwood buddha to which i do prostrations.

LAH / SatToday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

5 year olds and Sandal wood Buddhas all Matter

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I was asked who/what I bow to when I have to interrupt a sitting

Hi,

I am very playful with children so my first answer would a playful one. Maybe something like “for Johnny, my invisible friend that sits with me.” If asked again I may add on to the answer. “Johnny does not like it if I don’t do it. It’s a sign of respect.” If asked one more time then I may confess. If you want to teach a child then play with them. They are more likely to remember. Same approach applies to adults sometimes. Answers that involve emotion are more likely to be remembered than answers that do not. If you ask me the meaning of emptiness and I whack you, then you will remember. If I give you an abstract answer then you are less likely to remember. Both correct but one is clearly better in my view. Think back to your former teachers. The ones that evoked emotion are the ones you and I remember. Their teachings are memorable. I had a professor who was double boarded in neurology and psychiatry (somewhat of a brain connoisseur) and extremely narcissistic and annoying. His teaching style was a painful one but I remember his lessons well and apply them today more than lessons learned from other teachers that were less engaging in their approach. Everyone remembers 911 and the lessons from that day many years ago but can’t remember a lesson from one week ago. Don’t be afraid to tell white lies to children (or adults) if it helps.

My 2 cents.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Last edited by Jishin; 03-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Jishin, my husband would agree with you. He works with children, and when there are children of family visiting in the house they are usually near him somewhere listening to him ramble on about history or video games, simply because he plays around with them while he does it. Whenever they see me, they ask, "Where's Randy?" I don't even think they know my name, haha.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Well, Koki, for my part, I like to hear you ramble.... It usually makes a lot of sense to me.
    Teiro