Thread: March 22nd-23rd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Remember Daylight Savings!

March 22nd-23rd Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Remember Daylight Savings!

REMEMBER- Daylight Savings in US and Canada! Check Start Times Below.

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Good morning, Tree Leafers,

I will not be attending tonight's ceremony. I am volunteering for Theatre Projects Manitoba in their concession tonight. See you all next week.

Gassho,

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Hi Jundo!

I'll be there hopefully 2 ways, if Internet allows

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I thought I try to go to Tsukuba.
    But maybe difficult.

I will try to sit on one or two way

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Hi Folks,

I will definitely be doing the time warp again. See you all this weekend!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Will be there with bells

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link for today's zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_GB&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
    BONG!!! Thank you Jundo, Jakuden, and everyone ... have a great weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, Jundo, Jakuden, and everyone. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Thank you everyone. Nice weekend to all!

Gassho,
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you,Jundo and Jakuden.

I sat with Nori-Chan,new partner

Have a good weekend!

We are at Nori-Chan ‘s home and go to Tokyo,and will go to beach house.

Blooming season comes.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Thank you everyone Gee I thought maybe the gong meant we got to end Zazen early Yeah life is quite the Gong Show isn’t it!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you for the zazenkai erveyone, have a wonderful weekend

Gassho
    Anant
    SaT

This is the kind of research I mentioned regarding sudden noises and like unexpected stimuli ...

A further example is the classification of meditation. A common categorization is to divide meditation into focused attention (FA) and open monitoring (OM) [11, 56]. Generally, beginners will be introduced and establish a practice using FA techniques, where there is a particular object to focus attention on (e.g., the breath), whereas OM meditation does not require an object of focus, but an aware and nonreactive acknowledgment of moment to moment awareness. In the case of FA there is an effortful commitment to sustain attention that helps to still the active mind. Once a student has established this in their practice they are then better able to practice OM. Lutz et al. describe a development in practice where “the ‘effortful’ selection or ‘grasping’ of an object as primary focus is generally replaced by the ‘effortless’ sustaining of an awareness without explicit selection” [11]. Differences have been found between FA and OM practices; for example, OM practitioners have been shown to have superior responses to unexpected stimuli compared to FA practitioners, reflecting a more distributed attentional focus.

E. R. Valentine and P. L. Sweet, “Meditation and attention: a
    comparison of the effects of concentrative and mindfulness
    meditation on sustained attention,” Mental Health, Religion &
    Culture, vol. 2, pp. 59–70, 1999.
    Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you. I sat with all of you this morning.

Wonderful talk today Jundo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you all for this Zazenkai.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat

Thank you everyone. Lovely sitting with you today.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you everyone, I sat with you all this morning - my first Treeleaf Zazenkai.

Given I listened through earphones, my zazen was indeed disturbed!

Gassho,

Neil

SatToday

This was my first Treeleaf Zazenkai and it was a whole new experience. I felt how my attention shifted to the here and now, even more than in my daily 30-minute sitting sessions. Especially during kinhin I felt a deep awareness of every step. Thank you for your talk Roshi . I regularly read about comparable studies, and the one you mentioned reminded me of a seven-year-follow-up study conducted last year: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0405093257.htm. Thank you all for this experience. From now on I will attend weekly Zazenkais more often.

Gassho
    Jack
    Satwithyouall

Thank you all who sat and whom will sit

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you for this Zazenkai with the gong and all. Surely woke up both my dog and our cats!

Gassho

Gero (sat today)
    Last edited by Gero; 03-25-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: clumsy fingers

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.