Thread: visited of mara

visited of mara

dear sangha, dear roshi,
    While sitting today, once again there was arising some ecstatic bliss. i remember when i started sitting that i was very attracted to these kind of states and felt like this must be kinda goal, also i labeled it these times as satori-like experiences.
    Somewhere i was reading about makyo, ma refers to mara, the temptation and kyo as realm, cave or condition.

Now, i know its nothing but just a state of mind like a cloud in the sky. I dont get sucked into it, like i did earlier, because when i become entangled in it i stop zazen - its getting lost into perceptions and thats not real samadhi.
    by and by I stopped to label any state, also i stopped to give any meaning into it. All is just what is: thoughts arising, no-thought, sensations, emotions... whatever. if we can speak about a goal in my opinion its that we are aware of what arises and not become entangled. So everything that distract us can be mara, makyo. If we start dealing with thoughts, emotions or even encounter blissful, beautiful states.

Gassho,
    Ben

Stlah
    Last edited by Horin; 03-22-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hishiryo View Post
    dear sangha, dear roshi,
    While sitting today, once again there was arising some ecstatic bliss. i remember when i started sitting that i was very attracted to these kind of states and felt like this must be kinda goal, also i labeled it these times as satori-like experiences.
    Somewhere i was reading about makyo, ma refers to mara, the temptation and kyo as realm, cave or condition.

Now, i know its nothing but just state of mind like a cloud in the sky. I dont get sucked into it, like i did earlier, because when i become entangled in it i stop zazen - its getting lost into perceptions it and thats not real samadhi.
    by and by I stopped to label any state, also i stopped to give any meaning into it. All is just what is: thoughts arising, no-thought, sensations, emotions... whatever. if we can speak about a goal in my opinion its that we are aware of what arises and not become entangled. So everything that distract us can be mara, makyo. If we start dealing with thoughts, emotions or even encounter blissful, beautiful states.

Gassho,
    Ben

Stlah

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Lovely. If bliss happens, let there be bliss. I bliss does not happen, let there be no bliss. Yes, do not become entangled in or chase such states, and neither run away.

No need to break off Zazen, and just disentangle.

It may sound strange, but I sometimes describe Shikantaza as a kind of unfelt "Bliss" that does not even require feeling bliss or not feeling bliss. It is a Bliss to be blissful, a Bliss to be not blissful, a Bliss to be young, a Bliss to be old, a Bliss to be green, a Bliss to be blue, a Bliss to be sad or bored, a Bliss to be not sad or bored. Like that. The reason is that it allows all that is this universe, dancing with and allowing what is, seeing through all of it, not entangled nor running toward nor running away.

Times of bliss are wonderful! Times of no bliss are wonderful!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-23-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely. If bliss happens, let there be bliss. I bliss does not happen, let there be no bliss. Yes, do not become entangled in or chase such states, and neither run away.

No need to break off Zazen, and just disentangle.

It may sound strange, but I sometimes describe Shikantaza as a kind of unfelt "Bliss" that does not even require feeling bliss or not feeling bliss. It is a Bliss to be blissful, a Bliss to be not blissful, a Bliss to be young, a Bliss to be old, a Bliss to be green, a Bliss to be blue, a Bliss to be sad or bored, a Bliss to be not sad or bored. Like that. The reason is that it allows all that is this universe, dancing with and allowing what is, seeing through all of it, not entangled nor running toward nor running away.

Times of bliss are wonderful! Times of no bliss are wonderful!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Yes, beautiful.
    If theres no discrimination, no clinging nor aversion to any perception, a vast acceptance towards this isness is possible. So even pain and bad feelings find their place within this great embracing where nothing is lacking or has to be changed.
    Gassho,
    Ben

Stlah

Hi Ben,

Mara sometimes comes, sometimes goes away. Bliss comes sometimes, but goes away too.

What is it that we look for in zazen? Nothing. We just sit and let the mind play countless stories only to witness how they fade away too.

Thus we simply sit. Mara or no mara, bliss or non-bliss.

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi Ben,

Mara sometimes comes, sometimes goes away. Bliss comes sometimes, but goes away too.

What is it that we look for in zazen? Nothing. We just sit and let the mind play countless stories only to witness how they fade away too.

Thus we simply sit. Mara or no mara, bliss or non-bliss.

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Gassho and deep bows

Stlah,
    Ben

Hi Ben!

The ancient mythological stories can be instructive here. The Buddha was temped too by various things. By suffering as well as bliss to give up on his sitting. Even demons came to try to disturb him. He sat on rain or shine. Nothing lacking. I wager he'd be proud of your steadfastness. Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho
    Meikyo, ST.
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Quote Originally Posted by Meikyo View Post
    Hi Ben!

The ancient mythological stories can be instructive here. The Buddha was temped too by various things. By suffering as well as bliss to give up on his sitting. Even demons came to try to disturb him. He sat on rain or shine. Nothing lacking. I wager he'd be proud of your steadfastness. Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho
    Meikyo, ST.
    There are some wonderful pictures of that around, including this where he is tested by demons, threatening soldiers, ever beautiful dancing girls ... all in his mind ...

The dancing princessess are the ones who seem a little annoyed.

Gassho, J

STLah

This is a bit off topic (although not really), it was posted at facebook and I laughed ...

Gassho, J

SaTOodayLah

advanced Zazen.png

Ya gotta love it

gassho Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/