Thread: Following on ...

Following on ...

Hi - following on from David L. McMahan's book 'The Making of Buddhist Modernism' (2008) which was discussed in several threads here,

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...=David+McMahan

I've just started to read a new book by Ann Gleig 'America Dharma' - which takes off where McMahan's book signed off (the transition from Modernism to Post-Modernism in Western Buddhism).

I decided to read the book after listening to the following link,

https://soundcloud.com/post-traditio...yond-modernity

I really enjoyed the above as, although an academic, Gleig is very accessible.

Anyway, might be of interest to some.

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

Oh yeah, right to the top of the reading list!

By the way, "Imperfect Buddha" podcast fanboy here (although recommended only for real Buddhist modernism geeks and wonks).

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jinyo and Jundo ... will have a listen this morning. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thanks, Jinyo! That sounds interesting!

Is pretty costly for a Kindle book just now but hopefully there will be a paperback version available sometime in the future.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Oh that's an interesting sounding podcast, thank you I shall have a listen.

Gassho,

Neil

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thanks, Jinyo! That sounds interesting!

Is pretty costly for a Kindle book just now but hopefully there will be a paperback version available sometime in the future.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Hi Kokuu,

it is costly - it did make me wince that the book was 'labelled' as very reasonably priced - but I think (because it's academically backed) in relative terms it's reasonably priced because publishers really seem to hike up the price of university sponsored material.

To be honest - I think the podcast gives a good flavour of the contents.

I've only just stumbled on the 'Imperfect Buddha' podcast Jundo - so far really impressed

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyo View Post
    Hi Kokuu,

it is costly - it did make me wince that the book was 'labelled' as very reasonably priced - but I think (because it's academically backed) in relative terms it's reasonably priced because publishers really seem to hike up the price of university sponsored material.

To be honest - I think the podcast gives a good flavour of the contents.

I've only just stumbled on the 'Imperfect Buddha' podcast Jundo - so far really impressed

Gassho

Jinyo

ST
    The podcast is hit and miss, I feel, and sometimes gets into its own post-modernist "wheel spinning" that we have discussed here from time to time. There is also some tendency to focus too much on Tibetan Buddhism and their issues/problems as representative of all "Buddhism." Otherwise, it is a podcast that really touches on some issues, and deals with some matters, that are not often discussed. I very much enjoy it but, then again, I am kinda wonky.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'm kinda wonky too

no doubt there are worse things to be

Jinyo

ST