Thread: March 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI! - IN THE NEWS!

March 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI! - IN THE NEWS!

Today's Talk will look at a variety of STORIES and ISSUES IN THE NEWS today. Recently, there has been much discussion in the Buddhist world about "leaving politics at the door" of the Buddhist Sangha, where we encounter a way beyond opinions and debates. Generally, I very much agree. Zazen is beyond "right left and middle," and points to something beyond mere worldly concerns. However, I also believe that Buddhist teachings and values do guide us in certain directions in daily life, and toward certain outlooks and behavior, that must impact how we approach some social issues and stories in the news. In today's Talk, I would like to see if I can thread this needle, and explain the important differences (but sometime sameness) among politics and Precepts, equanimity vs. passivity or uncaring, cleaning the oceans and cleaning a temple altar, all by looking at some actual happenings and problems in the news right now. Let's see if I can succeed.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march...k-in-the-news/

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 07-16-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo.I will sit on one way

Gassho/Kakunen
    Sat today.

Thank you Jundo. I'll be there live with instruments ready

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Jundo. I will be there live, two-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link for today's monthly zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_GB&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you everyone!
    Bowing out early because I may have surgery early in the morning.

Look! I’m not afraid to show Zazen in a hospital bed. This is what it is like to be at peace with whatever life brings, with the help of Teacher and Sangha and Shikantaza.

SatToday

Jakuden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get well soon, Jakuden <3 Sitting with you.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Thank you everyone!

Look! I’m not afraid to show Zazen in a hospital bed. This is what it is like to be at peace with whatever life brings, with the help of Teacher and Sangha and Shikantaza.

SatToday

Jakuden

Mp
    Thank you everyone!

SatToday

Jakuden

Thank Jundo, Kyonin, Jakuden, and everyone ... even the AI ... lovely to just be present with you all. =)

Be well Jakuden.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you to all the hands and eyes, fake news and real news, and Buddhas and Maras.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #hokeypokey
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Jakuden, I hope you get well soon. Thank you for sharing. Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. It was a great zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you very much,Jundo Kyonin and everyone.

I sat on one way and walked long Kinhin at Tokyo.

I hope you will get well soon,Jakuden.
    I also take care my body and mind.

Nine bows
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 03-02-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Dedicated for you and all in hospital today. My Metta chant was for your health, Jakuden.

Gassho, J

STLah

Our Hokey Cokey today ... Kraftwerk be British comedian Bill Bailey ...

That was a lot of fun. Normally I am unable to make the 4-Hour Zazenkai, so this is my 2nd! I've been thinking that I need to pay more attention to TreeLeaf than mindlessly scrolling through Facebook feeds.

ADHD TESTIMONY FOR ZAZENKAI

I failed to reply to the last Zazenkai I attended two weeks ago. Last weeks was spent eating sushi for the Mrs. birthday party. I wanted to write to the sangha about how I felt during the beginning of that Zazenkai. When you sat with me, I sat with you and practiced together. My mind was in an "accelerated motor" state where I wanted to make an excuse to run around freely and burn off energy. When you sat with me, I found that I was able to slow it down and continue at a stabler pace. I am writing this to you to inspire you, and to encourage your practice no matter how hard it gets.

JOB SEEKING UPDATE

This week I was hired in Safeway for serving customers with kindness and giving them a helping hand as a cashier. In the interview, my boss Lisa said that I have a smile that can light up the entire room. I attribute that to my Buddhist practice, as I've had to accept conditions as they are and make the best out of bad situations. There is a wonderful book by Thich Nhat Hanh in my library that talks about the importance of smiling. You hear about polishing your resume, writing the perfect cover letter, and volunteering. I was unemployed or close to a year, about hm, eight months. Have you ever heard about how smiling is good for getting the job? Thank you for sitting with me during those eight months of anxiety, adventure, comfort, and excitement.

Sat/LaH

Sean

Edit: I prayed for my sister who is reluctant to call me. I was tempted to call her out on her BS, but I kept my Buddha Way. I was nice to her, even when she wasn't kind to me. She gave me a phone call this week.
    Last edited by Beakon; 03-02-2019 at 04:01 AM.
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Get well soon, Jakuden.
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Good to have you with us, Beakon. May you use that smile to bring sunshine to all your customers.

I will include you and your sister in Metta.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Jakuden, hope you will get well soon. Good luck with the surgery.

Gassho
    Souchi

SatToday

Thank you Jakuden and Sean for sharing with us, best wishes.

Anant
    SaT

Thank you everyone. Metta Jakuden. May your surgery go well

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Joyo
    Thank you everyone!

SatToday

Jakuden

I hope you are doing well. Sending you metta.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone sitting with this Zazenkai.
    The Hokey Pokey is quite a challenge for me (even lyrics in German didn't help me), but acceptance is key to equanimity, so I gave it my best shot.

All the best to Jakuden, hope you get well soon!

Gero (sat today)

Thank you all for this Zazenkai. The political news are something that always makes me worried.
    Much Metta to you, Jakuden. May you be healthy.
    Gassho,
    Mateus

Sat today/LAH

Here is an article, with links to the paper written by the Trump Administration nuclear policy adviser who is also a Zen Buddhist chaplain ...

The Zen Buddhist Nuclear Weapons Expert in Trump's White House
    A senior official in the White House tasked with advising President Donald Trump on weapons of mass destruction is an ordained Zen Buddhist chaplain.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ze...ps-white-house

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you everyone. Much Metta to our Jakuden

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    An interesting talk, thank you Jundo.

Been a while since I posted a musical response but this oldie popped into my head this morning, when thinking about the topic,

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thinking of you, Jakuden...

Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone!

SatToday

Jakuden

Missed this I jumped in at the end. Much metta Jakuden hope all went well.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thanks for everyone who wished me well, it was really comforting to sit with you all and listen to Jundo's talk on what could have been an otherwise nerve-wracking night. All went well with my surgery, and I am now home recovering. Much love to every leaf on the tree here!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thanks for everyone who wished me well, it was really comforting to sit with you all and listen to Jundo's talk on what could have been an otherwise nerve-wracking night. All went well with my surgery, and I am now home recovering. Much love to every leaf on the tree here!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Sending metta to you

Gassho
    From Tsukuba,near Treeleaf.

Sat today
    Kakunen

Lovely sit. Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Now that I have internet access again, I am working through the backlog of talks -- getting them turned into podcast episodes. My apologies for the delay. Here is Jundo's March talk:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march...k-in-the-news/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, Sekishi; you are a wizard. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt