Thread: Lion's Roar review of Glenn Wallis's new book.

Lion's Roar review of Glenn Wallis's new book.

Hi - apologies for not adding this to a recent thread that gave the link to Tricycle's review of Glen Wallis's new book
    but I couldn't trace the post.

I think the Lion's Roar review is much more comprehensive and Wallis's reply interesting. Have added the link
    for that too. I've read the book once now and need to read again to get the full measure. Totally understand it won't be everyone's
    cup of tea - but I did get something out of it that has clarified my practice. I have some thoughts/criticisms that I'll be gradually adding to his blog where he's very open to discussion and I do feel it's important that the voice of the ordinary sangha member gets heard because I feel there's some very simplistic stereotyping being put forward.

https://www.lionsroar.com/a-clarion-call-for-buddhism/

https://speculativenonbuddhism.com/2...itkins-review/

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

The earlier thread is here.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ghlight=wallis

I will look at the review and response, but my earlier comment ...

I have heard several long interviews with Mr. Wallace and read some of his stuff.

In my opinion, he is one of those intellectuals whose tangled post-modern ideas, often provocative for provocations sake, are offered primarily so that the author can amuse himself and others with the sound of the wheels spinning in his own head.

... He is also quite contradictory, seemingly against the modernization of Buddhism which often entails abandoning many traditional ideas (such as literal "rebirth"), but also is critical of traditional ideas such as the insistence of rebirth. Which one is it?
    That said, I am sure that many of his comments are worth reflection, as I noted:

Some criticisms of Buddhisms may be justified.

Wallis is not the only fellow to point out that modern, western Buddhism is "enabling" capitalism, or allowing practitioners to be good consumers and cogs in the machine by allowing us to "accept what is" (i.e., the present state of society and our middle class lifestyles). Another fellow who has offered this criticism is a philosopher named Slavoj Zizek:
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-17-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Slavoj Zizek is a rare breed of philosopher in that he's also entertaining!

Recently watched a film he made with Sophie Fiennes called 'The Pervert's Guide to Ideology'. It's a novel introduction to his work and great
    for film buffs. Seeing Zizek transposed into the set of The Sound of Music is priceless.

Gassho

Jinyo

ST

I was actually lectured by Zizek while at university, he's certainly entertaining although difficult to follow - I do think he either misunderstands Buddhism or deliberately misconstrues it.

Gassho,

Neil

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by EnlistedHipster View Post
    I was actually lectured by Zizek while at university, he's certainly entertaining although difficult to follow - I do think he either misunderstands Buddhism or deliberately misconstrues it.

Gassho,

Neil

SatToday
    That's interesting - to be honest I'm not familiar with his views on Buddhism specifically. Still working my way round the whole playing field of ideas concerning a particular critique of Buddhism (or x buddhism as Wallis frames it) - still haven't found any cogent argument/solution to what they perceive
    as the problem and not at all sure that a problem exists in the way they argue for because of the generalisations made.

Gassho

Jinyo

ST
    Last edited by Jinyo; 02-19-2019 at 05:29 PM.