Thread: Why Is Zen Not More Popular?

Why Is Zen Not More Popular?

LONGISH POST

A fellow posted this on facebook, and I thought it worthwhile to post here too. Very interesting, and I feel that he is right on with most of his reasons (I quibble with a couple below). I also post below some additional comments by other experienced Zennies. He is speaking about the "US," but I think that much of it applies in Europe too (am I wrong?), and even in Japan where the average Japanese person has little interest in the actual practice of Zen.

I sometimes wonder why Zen Buddhism isn't more popular in the US. Granted, I know that the majority of people in America identify as Christian and that Zen has only been a "thing" here in America only since the 1950's but I still puzzle over why there aren't more of us.

Statistics tell us that about 1% of Americans identify as Buddhists. That comes out to about 3.2 million people. Out of that number two-thirds are Buddhist Asian immigrants or children of immigrants. The remaining third--a bit over one million people---are non-Asian converts like myself. And of that group I have no idea how many consider themselves followers of the Zen, Tibetan, Theravada or some other Buddhist sect. But it really doesn't matter.

Needless to say most Sangha's are small. The one I go to has about 8 regulars who attend. We are a friendly group and we often have visitors attend. But the vast majority of them don't stick around. They come to one or two meetings then we never see them again and I wonder why that is. (I joke that if every visitor who attended our Sangha became a member we would be a mega-church.)

So why don't people stick around? I have my theories. First of all there is nothing "exciting" about Zazen. You just sit in silence. I am surprised at how many visitors are shocked to find that we don't do guided meditation. (FYI--we do tell first timers the proper way to do Zazen so it is not like they are just left to figure it out on their own.) But I think it freaks them out to have to be alone with their thoughts for 20 to 30 minutes. Plus, like I said, Zazen can be really boring and people like excitement. In churches people sing hymns, pray out loud, etc. It is very interactive. We offer Zazen and a Dharma talk. Nothing glamorous about that.

I also think that our society expects instant results. We want instant enlightenment and "Wow!" experiences. Zen isn't like that. I always encourage new-comers to not let the apparent "dullness" of Zazen put them off. I tell them how it can change their lives. I myself have greatly benefited from this practice. I am much more focused, calmer, insightful and patient than I used to be. But this came over time. I compare it working out to get in shape. You wouldn't quit going to the gym just because you don't have a chiseled body after only two weeks of exercising. So why quit doing Zazen because you don't become a Buddha overnight?

Another reason may be that Buddhist concepts---non-duality,no-self, interdependence, etc---are foreign concepts to most westerners and it goes against their grain of thinking. I too was originally puzzled by a lot of these ideas but as time went by I came to understand them. But I believe that a lot of people think, "I don't get this" and just don't come back. It takes time and effort to grasp some of this stuff.
    The last reason is that many people like the idea of an all powerful, all knowing God who will help them out. With Zen it is up to us and us alone. I think that scares a lot of people. Some people come to the Sangha thinking that we worship Buddha and he is our God. They seem puzzled when we tell them he was just a regular human being like us.

OK, I know I have written a novel but I just wanted to get that off my chest and ask what your opinions are about it. So why isn't Zen wildly popular?
    I just note that, even in Japan, the average Zazen group is just the same, rarely more than 20 people, mostly older, and people tend to come once or twice or so before dropping away. I also quibble by noting that some people can practice Zen together with another religion such as Christianity (no need, and I personally do not).

In any case, some other good comments from facebook ...

I think many of the forms and customs of Zen seem strange and off-putting (though for some they are alluring). ...

There might be a parallel with Quakers - the UK version only meet to sit in silent meditation without guidance, liturgy, hymns etc. They also tend to be a fairly self disciplined bunch prone to commitment. That seems to have kept their numbers at about 20,000 (out of a population of 65 million) for a very long time.

Another big issue of lack of sanghas attendance is many think they can buy a book and do it on their own. Also, the why isn't everything free generation does not support anything.

Same reason relatively few people have black belts in a martial art despite the only real requirement at most schools being that you have to continue to pay and train for a number of years. Only a few people have what it takes to go for the top. Religion to many people is just a social thing. They want to meet up once week, gossip about people, have a play group for their children, and check a religion on their census.

I think the bowing and chanting scare most visitors off. Seriously, ...

I think one of the reasons that people don't stick with zen is that when it actually starts working its the opposite of what we had hopped to get out of it when we first stated.... We came into to practice to feel good but to realize that the lust for feeling good *is* the problem can be shocking. I think everyone's spiritual path is different and not everyone necessarily experiences this to the same degree but I think alot of people do and I think its at this juncture that some people just stop sitting. Its like the bad guy in the matrix who decides he would rather go back to matrix and forget he ever knew it wasnt real. We get into practice to make the self feel less pain but to find out that isn't what we really need can be disillusioning.

Its just the way it is at this point in time and history.I practice and enjoy the practice,helping a few friends along the way and paying forward my teacher's kindness and guidance.That's good enough for me.

I can say in Brazil is the same. I would also add that some people have this Hollywood zen view, thinking that they would find a Master Miagi kind of guy, who would walk with him in a Japanese garden saying some koan like bullshit and them wisdom all the way! Them they come and we say, sit, now drink tea, now wash your cup, see you next time! No Yoda, no puzzles, no garden!

Because Zen involves facing things people don’t want to face. People come because they want to see reality or feel better. But depending on the person after a few hours or weeks or months or years something will come up they don’t want to deal with. Maybe it’s just zazen starts making them a bit scared or angry instead of making them feel better. Or it starts making them realise they are a jerk, or their partner is abusive, and they don’t want to know. Or the existential stuff gets a bit too intense. That’s on top of the knee pain! ... Most things that make us feel better in the West are escapism. Shopping. Cinema. Spas. Nightclub. Alcohol.

If people want a benevolent god and a guaranteed happy ending, there are Buddhisms for them too.

have experienced an attitude of elitism. The majority of attendees at one group were well educated psychologist and therapist, very few technically trained or labor class. There was a predominance of, white people and very few black, brown or for that matter, Asian. There is also a Cheshire cat manifesting grin, "I know something you don't know", which does very little to manifest an open inquisitive mind. ... And you begin to wonder, how many of these people have actually experienced what they speak of. And then you go silent, no need to engage, no need to justify, and occasionally you will run into someone who can meet their suffering with the grace of presence, and to manifest that space for others with compassion. And then you begin to relax about the arrogance, both your own and those around you. That then is Sangha. But it is not an easy arrival, so to speak.

Self-identifying followers of ALL organized religions, including Christianity, have been steadily decreasing for decades in the West (Europe, the United States, Canada, etc.), but also self-identifying Zen Buddhists have been steadily declining in Japan during the exact same time, with the result that many Zen Buddhist monasteries and temples have been closing there as well. I think there’s in general a deep societal/cultural shift away from ALL kinds of formality, tradition, officiality, and organized institutions, not only religious ones. With the advance of science, technology has come to pervade nearly every aspect of our busy daily lives, vying for our precious attention, energy, and time. (Perhaps ironically I type this on my cell phone.) As the world seems to have shrunk and in many ways become more homogenous, maybe many people find themselves naturally drawn to the more secular by default. Of course Zen Buddhism can be radically non-traditional and radically secular, but often it’s not, which is how it probably often comes across to many very bright and intuitive people who might otherwise be more naturally drawn to it.

I honestly believe that if you want to make zen popular, you have to churchify it. Can I get an “amen”?

Although Zen is relatively simple & straightforward, it is also HIGHLY intellectual. It’s not coincidence that Zen in America spread through the college educated, Beatnik/ hippie crowd. Simply to be aware of Zen & what it is, requires a level of education that’s not common. To then engage in & practice Zen requires a level of philosophical introspection that is very rare. A therapist once [told] me that only about 5% of the population actually have any internal dialogue, or thought about themselves, life, meaning, or actions. Pretty much 95% of people are automatons just flowing along with whatever society tells them.

I never said Zen Practice is intellectual- only that FINDING it requires you be introspective & somewhat intellectual. I’ve never met a Western Zen Student who is not a reader, or deep thinker... & most are college educated.

People often join a religious group for the communal fellowship aspect. I think this is a primary motivator for most people. In a culture that subverts community, churches offer a strong sense of connection with other people. Very few Zen groups offer this because their focus is almost exclusively on meditation which isn't very conducive to communal interaction.

I think zen practice is not always about that 'feel good' factor. In fact, I think zen practice makes a habit, a vital one, of taking people out of their comfort zones - mental, physical and even spiritual.
    If you're looking for one thing to hail as truth - the closest zen will likely give you is "not always so" - ... 'what's the most important thing?' someone once asked Shunryu Suzuki - "the most important thing.. is to find out what is the most important thing" . ... In some religious practices, pastors and clerics are very keen to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it and what exactly is right and what exactly is wrong. And if you believe in this one thing, in this one way, you are right, and good and saved. It FEELS SO GOOD TO KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT - to KNOW you're among the righteous . We won't give you any such shallow reassurances in zen.

[Z]azen can be a high barrier for people. I'd say there's some truth to that. There's work to be done in zen, and nobody can do it for you. In some religious practices in the world - an Other Power will save you - In Buddhism, “other power” is called TARIKI” – and we see other power redemption particularly in the Pure Land school of Buddhism. The opposite of Tariki is Joriki – or ‘self power’ – this is applicable to zen. - nobody can let your thoughts pass for you- nobody can engage in 'just this' for YOU, other people are not you.

Zen had a particular cultural moment that corresponded with Asian teachers arriving and meeting disaffected Westerners with a practice that seemed particularly astonishing in its depth and breadth. It seemed to them, something that went beyond restrictive or outdated elements in Western religion and society. Today, it seems to me, the Buddhist world, like the rest of the world, is far more globalized and diversified, such that anyone is faced with more variety, more choices. ...

My opinion... people are interested in “ending suffering” and being happy. Sort of. What they really really want to know is how to get what they want. And there are many many resources to feed it. Hard to compete with that!

The difference in generations is telling, when this old one was in Christian circles 15 +years ago (for a short interlude) if you put a call out for volunteers you got them, in Zen no one comes. To our sat 9 am Tai Chi class a young lady emailed that she would love to come if we moved the class to 11am-for her. sadly Buddhism and Zen seems to be attractive to those who have left the "moral demands" of Christianity and want something to rubber stamp their desires (innate narcissistic tendency?), since it takes no effort, one can then just stay home and practice as little or as much as one wants.

Buddhism has always gone 'against the stream'. It's strong medicine for desperate people who realize they can't go on like this. Many are called, few are chosen.
    I think that there is much truth (at least for someone, sometimes) in about everything written above. I have found over the years that many of these issues apply just as much to a Zen Sangha like Treeleaf as much as any Zen community in a building, East or West.

I also note that Zen has always been limited to a small corner of society in China and Japan too. Most Japanese Zen folks only became so, not for the Zazen, but because the government assigned them to local temples in Samurai times under legal penalty if they refused, which temples they then turned to for funeral and memorial services for the ancestors. In China, Zen/Chan was mostly limited to the intellectual class who had the literacy and philosophical bent. It has always been a relatively small group of people who keep the flame burning, passed down from generation to generation.

But the flame is passed down and is still alight.

What do you feel?

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-14-2019 at 04:22 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Looking for reasons why not is one approach. Does Zen promote itself? Does Zen seek to expand our numbers? What are people looking for--what do they expect--when they happen across Zen? Should Zen change to meet the expectations of seekers? Zen is work. If you try to pay someone to do it for you, or you try to give it lip service, you get nothing. And if you do it and work your heiny off, you still get nothing.

Here's another way to look at it: why are WE here? Not why is Zen here, but you and I, why are we in this thing?

What do I want from Zen? What do I expect? And is Zen going to give it to me?

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

I grew up being totally against religion. And when I encountered buddhism I had to absolutely make sure that there was nothing religious about it, even though the philosophy of it made sense. Having been around it a while and realizing how flawed my thinking at the time was, I am a bit more comfortable with the bowing and chanting and all that. All my experiences were based from a rejection of christianity and I thought all religions were the same. I also agree that a lot of people want a quick fix to their problems. Hell, even I still get that way after practicing Soto zen for a few years, even though we don't emphasize that kinda stuff at all.

So, I can see where some people go wrong in their view of zen, I had many of the same misconceptions (and probably still do). There is nothing we can really do, I'd people don't want what zen offers than so be it. And it might be better off that way, who knows?
    Gassho
    Sat Today
    John

Hi Jundo,

I wrote a paper on this exact topic when I did my JSCC course through the Institute for buddhist studies.

I find that here in the west Buddhism just doesn't stick for most westerners who are often looking for the quick fix or following the latest trend or fad.

My research also found that many cultural Buddhists (2nd, 3rd, 4th generation etc.) feel less of a commitment to their practice and as the generations go by it becomes more of a cultural artifact of their ancestors.

I also found that there is a tenancy for individuals to return to their sanghas once they have children as there is a wish for their children to learn about their religion, however they often leave again once the children move away from home. Often to return once again when they reach an elderly age and death takes on a larger part in their lives.

This was of course focused on the Jodo Shinshu tradition, but I found parallels in other traditions as well.

When speaking to individuals from other religions I have found that they see a similar pattern in their churches, synagogues, and mosques as well.

I am not sure if this trend holds up in Asia.

I will dog through my files and see if I can find the essay I wrote as I listed a few other reasons as well.

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this Jundo. After a quick scan it looks very interesting and something I will come back to another night because I just Ran past my bedtime by about an hour because I was reading some other interesting stuff. Which all means I've spent too much time at this computer today. Why do we do what we do, eh?? Let's sit (say goodnight Dick)

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Another reason why people won't stick is because mindful meditation offers the quick fix people are looking for without the bowing, chanting and other weird rituals. Why go through all that if you can pay and follow an eight-week mindfulness course that offers peace of mind?

Gassho,
    Kakedashi
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Kakedashi View Post
    Another reason why people won't stick is because mindful meditation offers the quick fix people are looking for without the bowing, chanting and other weird rituals. Why go through all that if you can pay and follow an eight-week mindfulness course that offers peace of mind?

Gassho,
    Kakedashi
    SatToday
    A "quick fix" strikes me as something like a patch on a bald tire, or a band-aid when one needs a heart transplant.

I suspect Zen is something you really have to want to practice. Zazen is hard and offers no quick fix. An hour service once a week is much more palatable to many than staring at the wall every day in a tradition that offers no guarantee of salvation. Then there's the literature, you really have to want to understand it. This is no criticism, it is what it is.

I liked the comparison to Quakers in the UK, I've visited a couple of their meetings and thought them fairly similar to sanghas I've sat with.

Gassho,

Neil

SatToday

I had the same question when I was a bit younger - not that I'm very old. If Buddhism / Zen offers the truth, then why not more people follow this path? Life is full of suffering but why don't people recognise this fact? As I'm getting older, I feel Buddhism, more specifically Zen Buddhism, answers a lot of life questions for me. Desire and attachment are the root causes of suffering. As to why it is not more popular, I think following this path requires a strong belief in your marrow that it is the correct path, and sitting in silence is simple to learn but not easy to do. I think it requires discipline, dedication, and commitment - qualities that not all people have but can cultivate. I'm still cultivating mine! We thrive on stimulation and sitting in silence is going against our basic desire. Hence, sitting and enlightenment are the same. Ultimately, Buddha's teaching resonates with me, and I know in my marrow that it's the correct path.

Gassho
    Van

satToday

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    A "quick fix" strikes me as something like a patch on a bald tire, or a band-aid when one needs a heart transplant.
    This isn't answering your original question, but this comment made me want to chime in. I grew up with a religion of quick fixes. "Say this prayer and you will be saved from hell" "you can leave this church service a different person tonight if you repent and commit to following Jesus" "take your anger problems to Jesus and you will be a changed man/woman"

None of it worked, ever. This is the main reason I was attracted to Zen and why I'll continue to practice for the rest of my life. I see more and more that people want a band-aid, in many areas of life, and are not wanting to commit. I don't know if it's due to fear, or lack of self-discipline, or the tv is just calling their names after a long day of work day after day, but it seems to be what a lot of people do. (and I'm not perfect either, there's some evenings that I'll admit, I watch tv instead of sitting too, but I'll never give up following this practice)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Most westerners don't even know what zen is. They've never been exposed to it. I go to the supermarket and see zen shampoo, zen soft drinks, zen soap. Yeah, OK. Try explaining it to people and you come off as a babbling, pretentious, hippie weirdo or an evil, demon worshipper who has abandoned Jesus. People don't want to spend hours per week facing themselves hardcore. They want to spend an hour per week at a church/social club, and then go back to business as usual. I know people even those who can do an hour of yoga say they could never do 15minutes of zazen. They say they cant "control their mind." Also: drugs. Not judging but it is amazing how many people I know are constantly on some pill or using weed. Every day, all day. Something not right in your life? Take this. Much easier.
    Gassho
    STlah
    James

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Most westerners don't even know what zen is. They've never been exposed to it. I go to the supermarket and see zen shampoo, zen soft drinks, zen soap. Yeah, OK. Try explaining it to people and you come off as a babbling, pretentious, hippie weirdo or an evil, demon worshipper who has abandoned Jesus. People don't want to spend hours per week facing themselves hardcore. They want to spend an hour per week at a church/social club, and then go back to business as usual. I know people even those who can do an hour of yoga say they could never do 15minutes of zazen. They say they cant "control their mind." Also: drugs. Not judging but it is amazing how many people I know are constantly on some pill or using weed. Every day, all day. Something not right in your life? Take this. Much easier.
    Gassho
    STlah
    James

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

... a babbling, pretentious, hippie weirdo or an evil, demon worshipper ... .
    But that's about accurate!

(just kidding)

Gassho, J

STLah

Hahahaha very true I do think that people like to work toward concrete goals. I did not want to portray those following a mindfulness course as lazy people, it's just that a mindfulness course is a clear-cut course with a particular outcome. Zen doesn't offer an eight-week-solution to your problem. Once it becomes too vague or abstract people might feel put off because there is no clear result that can be visualized. This is not just something that applies to zazen but also to a martial art I have been practicing for years: Iaido. My Iaido sensei always says that you got to be a bit crazy to practice this martial art. There are no colored belts, you have to repeat the same kata(forms) for years, there's almost zero freestyling, and there is no real sense of progress. Martial arts like Karate-do have more clear-cut objectives which makes them more attractive to newcomers. This doesn't mean that I look down or perceive such martial arts as being lazy people's arts. I practiced Karate-do myself for about 10 years. I do wonder what the effects are of taking shikantaza from its proper context and start selling it as meditation.

Ah, Iado!

Jundo;
    I'm not sure if I will ever decide if you are the Demon Worshipper or Hippie weirdo. Is there some way of knowing that I'm not aware of . I'm guessing what we are discussing is something that applies to all forms of religion. Unless attending is deeply ingrained in your DNA, why would you work at something that doesn't and can't give you a guaranty? (Like a one way ticket to eternity) Until recently, folks in agriculture lived a simple life and meeitng up with neighbors on Sunday morning was a treat but, I'm not sure if even that holds anymore with all the alternatives dished up by streaming TV and the internet.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah

p.s. let me know about the Demon/ Weido thing if you even figure that one out.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

When the barriers of "self" and "no myself" drop, the accompanying tensions, frictions, fears and such tend to go with it (because it takes two to have friction and conflict). Desire is sated in such aspect of nothing lacking in the wholeness of it all. Even "birth and death" drops away in a sense because, while "i" might die, to the extent that i am also the Whole Enchilada, one does not die in the sense that the Whole Enchilada keeps on Enchiladaing.
    And from this, I inch closer to conceptualizing how to lose this thing called self.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

I can't speak for anyone but myself. My practice has had periods void of sitting and of...well practice. The reason this happens is something I came to terms with a while back. Zazen is not easy, it requires work and dedication. After a long day at work and chores at home it feels better to lay on the couch and read a novel. However, the fact that I always come back to Zen shows it's importance, atleast in my life.

James F
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why isn’t Zen more “popular”? Hmm…interesting question. Many Christians, here Stateside anyway, ask why isn’t Christianity (and it comes in many forms and flavors) more “popular”? I wonder if it’s even the right question. On one hand, zazen is popular. In my hospital my sitting group is doing quite well – about 8-10 on average on a Wednesday. Depends on what you consider “popular.” It’s well and good to bring up the question. But at this point in my life it does not hold my attention for long. This is simply what I do and what I try to invite others to do is pretty much straight up shikantasa – but I usually don’t call it that. I do think many people are looking to ‘do’ spirituality, not just talk about it and zazen is certainly one way of ‘doing’ spirituality. “Mindfulness” is a pretty hot ticket these days, at least where I find myself. Clinical evidence also seems to indicate that old Nishijima was on to something about the autonomic nervous system and the such. I’ve been meaning to put up an entry on zazen and clinical studies (sorry, work has kept me busier than a one-armed paper hanger the last couple of weeks!). Clinical studies, at least the ones I’ve read, have been very friendly to ‘just-sitting’ zazen as well as ‘mantra’ types of meditation. This is great! However, I do it simply for the ‘love of the game’ and if I get other goodies besides – that is extra. If a thousand others join me – that’s great. But, if I am all by myself – nothing is lacking.
    Gassho
    Sean
    Sat,lah

Many bows to all of the insight on this thread.

When I think about the popularity of Zen in the west, I can't help but reflect on the events in my life that led me to practice. When I was young I had the great fortune of living in Saudi Arabia, a non-secular country where the laws and social climate is dictated by Islam. My family could be described as agnostic, so we simply had an outsider's perspective of the culture. When we moved back to the U.S. five years later, I had a similar perspective of the secular, yet Christian dominated social institutions. I honestly don't remember much of my life before moving overseas, so in a way I got to see two societies through the eyes of an outsider.

What I learned was that both Islam and Christianity say a ton of the same stuff, albeit in very different flavors. To me, this meant that much (if not all) of it was completely arbitrary. What was true was that both societies struggled with the BIG questions, and found answers through their religion. Because the vast majority of those people grew up in and lived in societies where the major religion never changed, those answers are the status quo and so shape the reality of many minds. On the other hand, people who are atheist also have answers, that there is no God or afterlife or whatever. Still hard and fast answers.

I think that Zen is not more widespread because instead of providing answers, it challenges people to drop their questions and to see what is right in front of them. Put your money (or faith) where your mouth is and BE your faith. What would Jesus do is a fine question, but what about actually DOING it?

When one drops the separation of faith, life, self, others, etc. we find that indeed life is zazen and zazen is life. To me, that is the reason that Zen is not more popular. The separation of one's life and one's faith is much easier than bringing it out of the church into every day practice, and hard, fast answers are preferable to contentment with 'not knowing.'

I welcome any guidance on any of my comments that may be misguided or flat out incorrect

Gassho
    Randy
    s2d

Hi,

Why is zen so popular?

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi,

Why is zen so popular?

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

IMHO the abstract and intellectual veneer of Zen probably turns a lot of westerners away from it more than anything else. Any spiritual path is pretty useless to someone who doesn’t understand it. The more popular religious movements in the west are much easier to understand without having to apply oneself to mental gymnastics or long periods of difficult meditation.

But I strongly believe that Buddhism is a very nice fit for the modern western mindset and more appropriate methods are sure to be embraced. It’s still very very young in this part of the world. It still needs more time to embrace the culture in an organic and sincere way. To a degree that is already happening. Sanghas like Treeleaf are a good example.

I find Japanese Buddhism very inspiring as a western Buddhist. Much like Japan, our culture came to the Buddhadharma late in the game. Through the efforts of many great and passionate teachers the Dharma found ways to cater to a unique population with specific issues to overcome. Zen and the Jodo schools of Buddhism are good examples of how this happened in one time and place.

We shall wait see what happens in another time and place. So long as we maintain our practice.

Gassho

Sat Today

Might it be that people in traditionally non-Buddhist regions of the world turn to Buddhism because they have certain expectations?

Either wishing for something truly exotic with lots of incense, golden statues, wrinkly masters with drooping eyebrows and weird Yoda quotes?
    Or do they turn to Buddhism because they expect it to be a non-religion, just pure logic without all that 'nonsense' like prayers, rituals and whatnots?

Either way, when they come to Zen they soon find out that reality hardly ever bothers with your expectations and Zen fits neither of the above stereotypes. That's the Noble Truth of Dukkha for beginners! So the most fundamental teaching of Buddhism explains, at least in my eyes, why people are put of by Zen.

And besides, the best explanation why Zen is not more popular, is from Sawaki Kodo Roshi himself: "Zazen is good for nothing!"

Gassho

Gero
    (sat today, and it did not feel like "good for nothing", so I must be doing it wrong )

Confession Time: I try to be good at samu, like doing chores around the house and making sure the cat litter is cleaned. I'm interested in the air quality of this home, since there is an asmathic living in these quaters. There is things I see that are inter-related to zazen since it requires breathing, breathing requires clean air, I have to clean up after the animals and the dust that collects around the house. Do I have everything under control? Do I have all of my "shit" together? NO! I like Zen because it teaches me to be okay with 'what is'. So what? It takes practice to get good at cleaning. I haven't had a normal home to live in where I can practice cleaning, but I keep trying.

Sat Today-ay-ay

Sean
    Last edited by Beakon; 02-16-2019 at 03:08 AM.
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

I "non-split" the "Transcendental/Immanent" discussion from this thread (not one not two) ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nd-Neither-and

Gassho, J

STLah

I don’t know, some things just grow slowly. The western Christian culture is still very dominant. Lots of religious and political power at play. Zen is more difficult than just saying a prayer and going to church once a week. Especially for beginners. Som Mormons came by recently and they put on a good sell. It didn’t matter when I told them I was a zen Buddhist. They still wanted me to come to their church

Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Ive enjoyed reading this discussion. Thank you.

I have a natural affinity towards this practice. Even if it didn’t exist I would be living in a similar way. What I find is that Soto Zen Buddhism provides an existing framework that I can follow without having to dream up any particular approach on my own. In other words I am naturally drawn here. When I look at the people in my life, my friends, my family, I don’t see that same natural tendency. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I think it is simple as that.

Some people like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla. I’ve never cared much for plain vanilla ice cream and if vanilla is all that is available I am most likely going to take a pass on ice cream entirely.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

It only takes one...or is it all?

Master Dogen said: "If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha's posture in the three forms of conduct, while [that person] sits up straight in samadhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha's posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization."

Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It only takes one...or is it all?

Master Dogen said: "If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha's posture in the three forms of conduct, while [that person] sits up straight in samadhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha's posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization."

Sat Today