Thread: February 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI!

February 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI!

Today's Talk will honor portions of Master Dogen's "Shobogenzo-Gyobutsu Iigi," some of his wildest Jazz (text below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 07-14-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: No podcast episode for this month.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi All,

A little of Dogen's wildest, freest, hottest Jazz today ... out of this world ...

... and my job will be to try to bring "back to this world" and make it relevant to all of us, nursing sick kids, stuck in traffic, buying milk at the convenience store, paying taxes and getting it done.

Let's see if I succeed, or fail miserably in trying!

In this section of Shobogenzo, known as Gyobutsu-Iigi (行佛威儀 - variously titled as "The Dignified Behavior of Acting Buddha" or "Awesome Presence of Active Buddhas"), old Mad Dog Dogen picks up his horn, bends it around like a pretzel, blows in the bottom, uses it to hit us over the head ... He's the Dharmic Hendrix, playing with his teeth and setting his Fender on fire ...

... and my task is to explain why and how (it is more than just the sound, cause there is life and Buddhist Wisdom in every note) ...

... and to make space and time bend right in your own kitchen.

Is it an impossible mission?

=========

GYOBUTSU IIGI (行佛威儀)

AWESOME PRESENCE OF ACTIVE BUDDHAS

Buddhas always practice - to the full - awesome behavior; thus they are active buddhas.

Active buddhas are neither reward-body buddhas, nor incarnate-body buddhas, neither self-manifested buddhas nor buddhas manifested from others. Active buddhas are neither originally enlightened, nor enlightened at some particular time, neither naturally enlightened, nor without enlightenment. Such buddhas can never compare with active buddhas.

Know that buddhas in the buddha way do not wait for awakening. Active buddhas alone fully experience the vital process on the path of going beyond buddha. This is something that self-manifested buddhas and the like have never dreamed of.

======

This being so, [it is said in the Lotus Sutra:] "In the past I practiced the bodhisattva way, and have attained this long lifespan, still now unexhausted, covering vast numbers of years it will still be twice the past number of eons [in the future]."

You should know that it is not that the lifespan of the bodhisattva has continued without end only until now, nor that the lifespan of the Buddha has prevailed only in the past, but rather that what is called vast numbers is a total inclusive attainment. What is called still now is the total lifespan. Even if in the past I practiced is one solid piece of iron ten thousand miles long, it hurls away hundreds of years vertically and horizontally.

======

Do not take up the buddha measure to measure and analyze the great way. The buddha measure is one corner, just like an open blossom. Do not hold out the mind measure to grope for and deliberate about the awesome presence. The mind measure is a single face, like the world. The measure of a single blade of grass is clearly the measure of the buddha ancestor mind-one blade that recognizes the whereabouts of active buddhas. Even if you recognize that one mind measure encompasses innumerable buddha measures, when you try to measure the active buddhas' appearance in motion and stillness of their visage, it
    is undoubtedly beyond measure. Because their conduct is beyond measure, measuring does not hit the mark, is not useful, and cannot be gaged.

======

Throughout journeys, while taking on coming and going, or while leaving and entering by the same gate, nothing is hidden in the entire world. So the World-honored One's intimate language, intimate realization, intimate practice, and intimate entrustment are apparent.

Leaving the gate there is grass, entering the gate there is grass, but for myriad miles there is not a bit of grass. Such "enter-
    ing" and "leaving" are not necessary. This grasping by entering does not wait for the letting go of leaving ...

[R]egard this ... as taking up a mistake and settling in with the mistake. Stepping forward misses, stepping backward misses, taking one step misses, taking two steps misses, and so there are mistakes upon mistakes.

Heaven and earth are far distant [due to our mistakes], and so the ultimate way is not difficult. You should thoroughly understand that in the awesome presence, and in the presence of awe, the great way is wide open. Know that upon emerging in birth, all emerge together on the way, and that upon entering death, all enter together on the way. From the head down to the tail, the awesome presence of rolling the pearl and of turning the jewel [that is the whole of the universe, all reality] are manifested.

That which allows one corner of a buddha's awesome presence is the entire universe, the entire earth, as well as the entirety of birth and death, coming and going, of innumerable lands, and lotus blossoms. Each of these innumerable lands and lotus blossoms is one corner. Many students think that "the entire universe" refers to this ... Continent or all the Four Continents. Some may think of it as China or Japan. Regarding "the entire earth," there are those who think it is one billion worlds, or simply a single province or prefecture~ When you examine "the entire earth" or "the entire universe," you should investigate them three or five times without stopping, even though you already see them as vast.

Understanding these words [about the entire universe] is going beyond buddhas and ancestors by seeing the extremely large as small and the extremely small as large. Although this seems like denying that there is any such thing as large or small, this [understanding] is the awesome presence of active buddhas.

Understand that the awesome presence of the entire universe, the awesome presence of the entire earth, as revealed by buddhas and ancestors, is the unhidden inclusive world. This is not only the unhidden inclusive world, but also the awesome presence within a single active buddha.

Last edited by Jundo; 02-01-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two with instruments ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two with instruments ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Yeah, well, please hit the bell in all the right places, and don't set the Mokugyo on fire!

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yeah, well, please hit the bell in all the right places, and don't set the Mokugyo on fire!
    LOL ... well, I have been hanging out with the Foo Fighters learning some new drum roles.

Then, I tried out that meditation stuff. =)

So, I think I will be good to go for tomorrow.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAh

I will be there one way or two way.

Thank you Jundo and Shingen and Everybody.

I need to keep silence,till I will go to Eihei-ji.But I just say.

I will be there for you.

Now I start Sesshin,till Feb 12th.Sesshin is life.

Sat today
    Nine bows
    Kakunen

Mp
    Seems Jundo is having some internet issues, please just sit zazen until I post the link.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I will be sitting 1 way for as long as I can before I have to travel.

Gassho,

Junkyo

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link for today's zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_US&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Doshin
    st and hokey-pokey

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you to all who sit, sing, dance, cry, and play.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone .... that was groovy full on. I 2nd that Hokie Pokie, that too was groovy and full on! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you for a another wonderful Zazenkai, Jundo , Shingen and all the musicians. Have a great week.

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo, Shingen and everyone. A wonderful, musical zazenkai. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Thank you all Treeleafer.

Have a good weekend

Gassho/Nine bows
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I mentioned that my mother was a jazz singer in the 50s. Somebody put some of her songs up on youtube. They are from a little later, and not her hotest jazz stuff, but this is mom (stage name Joy Martell) ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-02-2019 at 03:31 AM.

Jundo,

Your mom has a wonderful voice.

Doshin
    stlah

February 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI!

Hi

Kind of my mother
    My father always with her,famous singer named Naomi Chiaki.

She get Japan record awords 1972.

English translate.

https://petitlyrics.com/lyrics/1211936

At 70s.

And my father get prize of Soen,fasshion awords 1968.

Anyway .

Just sit

Sat today
    Nine bows/Gassho
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kakunen; 02-02-2019 at 04:36 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hey, I mentioned that my mother was a jazz singer in the 50s. Somebody put some of her songs up on youtube. They are from a little later, and not her hotest jazz stuff, but this is mom (stage name Joy Martell) ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Lovely Jundo ... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

This is what happened when I asked Alexa to play something by Joy Martell on Amazon Music

Nice surprise I can remember hearing this back in the forties
    The title should read "My Momma Done Told Me" (My spell checker and I have issues )
    gassho, Shokai
    Last edited by Shokai; 02-03-2019 at 02:50 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Nice surprise I can remember hearing this back in the forties
    The title should read "My Momma Done Told Me" (My spell checker and I have issues )
    gassho, Shokai
    Thanks, Shokai! Yes, that is "my momma" singing the blues. I had not heard that in years, or realized it was online. I am not sure that I even have a copy. I used to really like that song. (I notice too that they have here as "Martel" with one "l" which I think she used sometimes).

It is actually called the "Blues in the Night," an old standard ... not totally politically correct these days ...

"Blues In The Night"

My mama done tol' me
    When I was in pigtails
    My mama done tol' me
    A man's gonna sweet-talk and give you the big eyes
    But when the sweet-talking's done
    A man is a two-face, a worrisome thing
    Who'll leave you to sing the blues in the night

Now the rain's a-fallin'
    Hear the train a-callin, "whoo-ee!"
    My mama done tol' me
    Hear that lonesome whistle blowin' 'cross the trestle, "whoo-ee!"
    My mama done tol' me
    A-whooee-ah-whooee ol' clickety-clack's
    A-echoin' back th' blues in the night

The evenin' breeze'll start the trees to cryin'
    And the moon'll hide it's light
    When you get the blues in the night
    Take my word, the mockingbird'll sing the saddest kind o' song
    He knows things are wrong, and he's right

From Natchez to mobile,
    From Memphis to St. Joe
    Wherever the four winds blow
    I been in some big towns
    An' heard me some big talk
    But there is one thing I know
    A man's a two-face, a worrisome thing
    Who'll leave you to sing the blues in the night

The evenin' breeze'll start the trees to cryin'
    And the moon'll hide it's light
    When you get the blues in the night
    Take my word, the mockingbird'll sing the saddest kind o' song
    He knows things are wrong, and he's right

From Natchez to mobile,
    From Memphis to St. Joe
    Wherever the four winds blow
    I been in some big towns
    An' heard me some big talk
    But there is one thing I know
    A man's a two-face, a worrisome thing
    Who'll leave ya to sing the blues in the night
    Yes the lonely, lonely blues in the night
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-03-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Hi all

Seems like I missed a great zazenkai - will have to join in via youtube in parts during this coming week. I have my parents over in NZ, they are from England, so it is a very special time - not that zazenkai isn't (lol) but we had a great family day out with my children, but I was with you all in my own way.

Gassho - Tokan

SattodayLAH

Thank you everyone

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I am crushing all over your momma's music, Jundo. Eons ago, I played in a big dance band and got hooked on this music and these powerhouse voices. Great stuff here.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    I am crushing all over your momma's music, Jundo. Eons ago, I played in a big dance band and got hooked on this music and these powerhouse voices. Great stuff here.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.
    Thank you. She would be so happy to know. Her kind of music went out of style long ago. She worked all over, but was never a star except in our own family. This style of music did come back a bit, with singers like the perennial Tony Bennett and such ...

Okay, since next week we will have a Ceremony at Treeleaf to remember our family and friends who are no longer with us, one more from mom. This is her brief Elvis/Patty Page period, 1959 ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-04-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Thank you everyone,
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Just sat the zazenkai (a little late, I know). My first monthly zazenkai since aí joined Treeleaf.
    I love your mother’s music, Jundo.
    Thanks to all treeleafers.
    Gassho
    Sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Just sat the zazenkai (a little late, I know).
    Never too late, Mateus. The time is always right.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you all!

I think zazenkai with jazz interludes might just catch on!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-