Thread: January 25th-26th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Do Robots Have Buddha Nature?

January 25th-26th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Do Robots Have Buddha Nature?

Our Heart Sutra Today will be recited by PEPPER the ROBOT! (Details Below)

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Heart Sutra today, in Japanese, will be recited by Pepper the Robot ...

Pepper is a semi-humanoid robot manufactured by SoftBank Robotics (formerly Aldebaran Robotics), which is owned by SoftBank, designed with the ability to read emotions. ... Pepper's ability to detect emotion comes from the ability to analyze expressions and voice tones. ... Pepper is available as a research and educational robot for schools, colleges and universities to teach programming and conduct research into human-robot interactions.

In 2017, an international team began research into using Pepper as versatile robot to help look after older people in care homes or sheltered accommodation. The project received funding worth two million pound, with donors including the European Union and the Japanese government.

... Pepper is not a functional robot for domestic use. Instead, Pepper is intended "to make people happy", enhance people's lives, facilitate relationships, have fun with people and connect people with the outside world. ... The robot's head has four microphones, two HD cameras (in the mouth and forehead), and a 3-D depth sensor (behind the eyes). There is a gyroscope in the torso and touch sensors in the head and hands. The mobile base has two sonars, six lasers, three bumper sensors, and a gyroscope
    For today, our recital will be with this recording, but I will contact SoftBank and see if there is any possibility of having Pepper over to Treeleaf Tsukuba for a live recitation sometime in the near future.

This is not Pepper's only Buddhist ceremony ...

The custom-coded Pepper robots can perform multiple functions such as chanting sutras, and even tapping a drum the same way a human Buddhist priest would. Another interesting function of the robot priest is that it also provides live-streaming of the ceremony for people who are unable to attend.

This artificial priest might just be a suitable alternative for those hoping to conduct a funeral ceremony merely for the sake of formality, but some may be seeking something more spiritual. Buddhist monk Tetsugi Matsuo questions the robot priest’s “heart” because he believes that this is where the foundation of religion lies.

In doing so, we celebrate the town of Tsukuba, Science City and home to our Zendo, more notably the home to some of Japan's most advanced robot research ...

More here:

Of Buddhabots and Dharmadroids ...
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...d-Dharmadroids

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-25-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... I will be there live two way, instruments ready if our Jakuden is not able to be there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Jundo ... I will be there live two way, instruments ready if our Jakuden is not able to be there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Thank you, Shingen and Jakuden.

Soon, we won't need any human priests at all around this place, and we can just completely automate Treeleaf.

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo! How cool...Pepper!
    Definitely stepping up the 21st century technology!

Gassho
    Koki
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks Shingen, I have an appointment in my schedule about 4 hours before the Zazenkai with a college student whose cat ate string and is now trying to get it out both ends So we’ll see what happens! I couldn’t get her to bring it in any earlier. Can the robot do a string-ectomy?
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you, Shingen and Jakuden.

Soon, we won't need any human priests at all around this place, and we can just completely automate Treeleaf.

Gassho, J

STLah
    LOL ... I knew it was a matter of time, now I can go sit zazen in the halls of the Smithsonian! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Thanks Shingen, I have an appointment in my schedule about 4 hours before the Zazenkai with a college student whose cat ate string and is now trying to get it out both ends So we’ll see what happens! I couldn’t get her to bring it in any earlier. Can the robot do a string-ectomy?
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Well, we will just string it along and see how it comes out. =) Sorry, couldn't resist. Got yah covered either way.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Well, we will just string it along and see how it comes out. =) Sorry, couldn't resist. Got yah covered either way.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

....but then a curious twist occurs....

https://kotaku.com/the-robot-dog-fro...567516744?IR=T

chimp and robot are inseparable as entities - can one have buddhanature and not the other? Is there no chimp and no robot, only buddhanature? Or is there chimp and robot because of buddhanature? Is there buddhanature? Have you had enough of question marks yet?

More seriously though, or not, would it be the human reciting the heart sutra that moves me, or the words of the heart sutra regardless of who recites it...

Hope to see you all tomorrow two-way,

Tokan - sattoday and LAH

Jakuden

I had to drive several hundred miles a week or so ago to remove a foxtail from my dog’s nose. Is that a rhino ectonomy? Funny thing is the vetenarian in Texas knew who I was because of our common history in reptile propagation. The reason he had the speciality scope needed was because he uses it to determine sex of tortoises! While his staff preped everything he gave me a tour of his reptiles then took me to lunch after procedure. Now that is service

Doshin
    st

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Last edited by Doshin; 01-25-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Hello all!

I'll have to sit this one on Saturday morning.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link for todays zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_US&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hello everyone!

Like Kyonin, I'll have to sit tomorrow morning. I haven't slept well for a couple days and I really need some rest. I feel kind of guilty, but I know that any time I sit you are right there with me.

Gassho,

Jero
    Sat today

Hi everyone,
    joining you all one way.

_()_
    sosen
    st/lah

Thank you, Jundo. The talk made me remember and feel how precious it is to be human. Thank you, Shingen, for leading, and everyone for your practice. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Pepper, and everyone for sitting ... have a great weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo, Shingen and all who sat and will sit. And, I am not a robot

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jakuden

I had to drive several hundred miles a week or so ago to remove a foxtail from my dog’s nose. Is that a rhino ectonomy? Funny thing is the vetenarian in Texas knew who I was because of our common history in reptile propagation. The reason he had the speciality scope needed was because he uses it to determine sex of tortoises! While his staff preped everything he gave me a tour of his reptiles then took me to lunch after procedure. Now that is service

Doshin
    st
    Haha that’s awesome!! I would totally take you to lunch and talk herps if you ever visit... or listen, as you surely know more than I. Too far to drive for a foxtail (we don’t have foxtails here, thank goodness!)

Thank you Shingen for ringing the bells will sit this with you all over the weekend.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you very much.

I sat on one way today.

I was at Tsukuba,Robot city with my son today.

IMG_0191.JPG

My son is Bodhisattva?

Sayonaraさよなら See you again,with calm heart.

Sat today
    Nine bows
    Kakunen

Just sat this Zazenkai with smiles and love in my heart for all beings..sentient and robots!

Gassho
    Koki
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

thanks everyone
    gassho
    sean
    sat,lah

Thank you everyone

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Lovely to be with you across time.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you all! Wonderful to sit with you across time and space.

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo, Pepper, all.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Finally catching up on this, thank you Shingen, Pepper, Jundo and everyone!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH