Thread: Ryaku Fusatsu

Ryaku Fusatsu

Dear sangha

In many Buddhist traditions there is a monthly practice of Uposatha on days of the full moon (some traditions also observe uposatha on the new moon and even first and last quarters). For lay practitioners, it was a day when they could live in a similar way to monastics, observing all of the precepts and deepening their practice.

In Japanese Zen this tradition takes form as Ryaku Fusatsu which focusses on re-affirming the precepts. We have previously had a discussion about this (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ce-at-Treeleaf) and Jundo is of the opinion it is not essential for Treeleaf members but that it would also be fine for any members who wish to observe it, on full moon days like today (it may have been yesterday for those of you east of India) as a way of reminding ourselves of the precepts we have taken and recommitting to observing them. This may be particularly good for those who have just taken Jukai, although they are probably more aware of the precepts through their study than the rest of us!

Anyway, we devised a short ceremony of 5-10 minutes for anyone who did wish to start their full moon day with this. Personally I find it very valuable but, as I said, Jundo believes we recommit to the precepts every day in our heart and undertaking a ceremony such as this is completely optional. He also recommends the 'ultra-short Ryaku Fusatsu ceremony' of reciting the Verse of Atonement.

For those who wish to acknowledge this occasion, here is our brief yet completely whole Treeleaf version of the ceremony:

RYAKU FUSATSU
    full moon precepts ceremony

On The Precepts

The Great Precepts of Gautama Buddha were kept by all Buddhas; they were transmitted from Buddha to Buddha, and they were received by Ancestor after Ancestor. Our great Master, Gautama Buddha, transmitted the Precepts to Master Maha-kasyapa; Master Maha-kasyapa transmitted the Precepts to Master Ananda, and the Transmission of the Precepts has continued in this way, passing from orthodox successor to orthodox successor in one line.
    Now, we/I reaffirm our/my commitment to the Precepts to return the profound benevolence of Gautama Buddha. We/I trust this to be the true reception of Gautama Buddha's wisdom and life. Respectfully following the approval of Gautama Buddha, we/I would like to devote ourselves/myself to the Precepts and confess.

Verse of Atonement

All harmful words, thoughts and acts ever committed by me since of old
    On account of beginingless greed, anger and ignorance
    Born of my body mouth and mind
    Now I atone for them all.

Four Vows (x3)

To save all sentient beings, though beings numberless
    To transform all delusions, though delusions inexhaustible
    To perceive Reality, though Reality is boundless
    To attain the Enlightened Way, a Way non-attainable

The Three Refuges

Respectful devotion to Buddha, Respectful devotion to Dharma, Respectful devotion to Sangha.
    Devotion to Buddha, the Supreme One; Devotion to Dharma, the Supreme Purity & Teaching; Devotion to Sangha, the Supreme Community.
    Perfect devotion to Buddha, Perfect devotion to Dharma, Perfect devotion to Sangha.

The Three Pure Precepts

Today I reaffirm my commitment
    To seek as I can, in this body and life, to avoid doing harm
    To seek as I can, in this body and life, to live in a healthful and helping way, doing good
    To seek as I can, in this body and life, to live for the benefit of all sentient beings.

The Ten Fundamental Precepts

Today I reaffirm my commitment
    I. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from the killing of life
    II. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to live in generosity and refrain from taking that which is not given
    III. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from misusing sexuality and all desire
    IV. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from false and malicious speech
    V. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from intoxication in its many forms
    VI. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from unconstructively criticizing the errors and faults of others
    VII. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from praising oneself and judging others
    VIII. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from stinginess in bestowing the Buddhist Teachings and all precious things
    IX. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from all anger
    X. To seek as I can, in this body and life, to refrain from disparaging the Three Treasure, Buddha, Dharma, Sangha

Dedication

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here - now:

In reaffirming our/my commitments to the precepts we/I dedicate our/my sincere efforts to:
    • Shakyamuni Buddha Honored One; the Historical Buddha and Teacher …
    • To the all-pervading and everlasting Three Treasures:
    • To all Arhats and Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas and their relations throughout the dharma worlds

May our/my sincere vows to accomplish and live the Enlightened way be realized together.

ø All Buddhas throughout space and time
    ø All Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas
    ø Maha • Prajna • Paramita

With all good wishes to you!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Mp
    Thank you Kokuu. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, Kokuu. A monthly, formal recommitment to the precepts would benefit me as well as all members who have the ability and desire to participate.

Gassho,

Hobun/Michael

STLAH

Thank you, Kokuu.

It is a lovely Ceremony of renewal for all who may be so inspired, with a long tradition stretching back to India. If recitation of the Precepts and Vows resonate in your heart, you may wish to join in with Kokuu at these events. It is a beautiful refresher.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-22-2019 at 02:07 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ryaku Fusatsu

Thank you Kokuu

I do Fusatsu before start Sesshin,everytime.

I like to do Fusatsu.I feel I can check our Zen life.

And I am grad to go Sesshin at 28th at this month.
    I can sit with teacher who teach Eiheiji Genzo-e.
    He is great,and I can sit beside him.

But I also I can sit here in Treeleaf and you.
    That is great I feel

Thank you for reminding,I miss Fusatsu.

Nine bows
    Kakunen
    Sat today
    Last edited by Kakunen; 01-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Thank you, Kokuu.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.
    Last edited by Nengei; 01-25-2019 at 03:19 AM.

Thank you for posting this, Kokuu.

I started doing Ryaku Fusatsu when I committed to Jukai (thank you for the old threads too!). I understand Jundo's point that doing the ceremony is not necessary - to be fair Jukai or any other ceremonies aren't exactly required either - but it has been helpful for me, especially as a part of preparing to formally receive the precepts. It's a lovely tradition.

I have used several different versions of the ceremony, particularly using different wordings of the precepts. I like this Treeleaf version, because it mirrors our Jukai ceremony.

Southern Forest (Nanrin)

St
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Thank you Kokuu,

_()_
    sosen
    st/lah

Thank you Kokuu.

I just saved the text for doing this often

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

What is the significance of doing this on the full moon? Or is that Jundo's point?

Thanks to all in advance for their insights.

Gassho,
    Kate

SAT/lah
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you Kokuu. I used to observe Uposatha / Ryaku Fusatsu. A few years ago life got in the way and I fell out of the habit. It is a good one though. Thank you for the reminder.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    What is the significance of doing this on the full moon? Or is that Jundo's point?

Thanks to all in advance for their insights.

Gassho,
    Kate

SAT/lah
    A quick search of some commentaries (not definitive history) shows that the early Buddhists wished to space the ceremonies a bit, perhaps because it included some fasting ... perhaps because one needed some time to stumble so that, in fact, one had something to repent!

However, in some interpretations, yes, the light and freshness of the new moons represents illumination of the heart and new beginnings too.

Gassho, J

STLah

Hi folks,

Would you recommend anything else for the practice? Lighting incense or candles that kind of thing?

Thanks,

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hi folks,

Would you recommend anything else for the practice? Lighting incense or candles that kind of thing?

Thanks,

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday
    Hey Hoseki,

Yes lighting both a candle and incense is always a great idea before practice. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Kokuu! What a great reminder to celebrate living by the Precepts.
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much Kokuu.

Gassho

Kenshou

Sat today/ LAH

Sent from my 5056I using Tapatalk

I have added Ryaku Fusatsu to our Treeleaf recommended 'AT HOME' Liturgy here.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...t-Home-Liturgy

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you.

Gassho
    SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

Thank you so much Kokuu

and everyone for bumping this thread.
    I find it quite helpful and refreshing, and if not directly, then indirectly since our thoughts tend to become rigid and "yeah, I already know this stuff" attitude is easy to creep up.
    Thank you for friendly reminder to look with fresh eyes

Gassho, eva
    sattoday and also LAH