Thread: Eiheiji Inside Dogen's Zen Monastery

Eiheiji Inside Dogen's Zen Monastery

NOTE: I have locked the thread because, alas, the video is now not available. Buddha was right about impermanence. However, maybe it will return sometime.

A new film from Japanese Public TV (NHK), in English, on daily life in Eiheiji Head Temple, Master Dogen's monastery.

It is interesting that the NHK seems to remake almost this same documentary every 10 years or so, since the lifestyle of the monks shown has not really changed that much for 800 years! (However, the camera images in this one are nice, and it contains many interesting glimpses not usually seen. Most of the older versions are available on Youtube too).

It is only available to watch for a this weekend however!!

Eiheiji is a world-famous Zen monastery located in the mountains 200 kilometers northeast of Kyoto. As the temple's founder Dogen prescribed, the core practice is zazen: simply sitting to calm the mind and examine one's self. Most of the 150 monks are in their 20's. They live at the temple, devoting themselves to uninterrupted Zen practice. With unprecedented access inside this remarkable temple, where Dogen's teachings have been practiced unchanged for over 770 years, the program follows the monks' lives over the course of 6 months.

Available until January 13, 2019
    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/v...JbFyv0SjoqJgRk

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I watched this a little earlier today and found it very interesting.

I especially liked the cook!

Gassho
    Frank
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bookmarked! Hope I can get to it while it is still up.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

It is say it is not available anymore, I must now sit with this sadness.

Love and bows,
    Chishou.
    Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

No longer available for me too. I'll look forward to the next possibility some day

Gassho,
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I have locked the thread because, alas, the video is now not available. Buddha was right about impermanence. However, maybe it will return sometime.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I have locked the thread because, alas, the video is now now available. Buddha was right about impermanence. However, maybe it will return sometime.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Hey Jundo,

Is this the video that was removed? This is a Japanese version, but a lovely showing of monks at Eiheiji.=)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

No, Shingen, different video. I mean, same monks doing what they have done for 800 years, but rather different from the NHK one which used very nice new cameras.

I hope they bring it back. It will probably reappear one of these days.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    No, Shingen, different video. I mean, same monks doing what they have done for 800 years, but rather different from the NHK one which used very nice new cameras.

I hope they bring it back. It will probably reappear one of these days.
    Thanks Jundo ... Hopefully that will be back up and running. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH