Thread: "All the Peaceful Holidays" Short Zazenkai (welcoming Stewart) - December 25th

"All the Peaceful Holidays" Short Zazenkai (welcoming Stewart) - December 25th

We will have an abbreviated Zazenkai on Tuesday night (North America Time), early Wednesday morning (Europe and Japan Time), as part of our "Celebrate All the Peaceful Holidays" philosophy here at Treeleaf (SEE BELOW), and to welcome a visit from Stewart, a Zen Friend who lives here in Japan (I want to show him how we do things at Treeleaf). Please join us if you can.

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' for about an hour from 11am Japan time on Wednesday in Japan (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Tuesday night 12/25, Christmas Day), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Wednesday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:00 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-24-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I would like to wish each and all a Peaceful Rohatsu, Merry Christmas, Good Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah and many more ...

... as well as simply a Very Tranquil and Content 'Just This Very Moment,' ever new and changing ...

.... whether it is your personal belief or not, celebrating All the Happy Holidays of Peace and Goodwill, whenever and whatever they are.

This also leads to a related topic ...

Heading home to see family and friends always presents a few special "opportunities for Practice" at this time of year ...

Meeting family and old friends ... how do you explain to them about "being a Buddhist"?

You may even start to feel a little guilty for not being part of the religion you were raised in.

How should we celebrate the holidays with friends and family?

My answer: Sing all the songs, be with the ones we love ... Celebrate Peace & Joy!

Nothing to prove or convince others about, and simply be a good son or daughter, brother or sister and friend. That is enough. Join in all the family doings, sing the Christmas songs, go to church services if it makes your poor mom or dad happy ... just nod and say "maybe so" if someone is not so open minded ... .

A Shingon Buddhist priest here in Japan made this ceremony a few years ago, so good hearted and funny, a Dedication to Santa Bodhisattva, the spirit of Giving ... don't miss the first three minutes, and the ending ...

Gassho ho ho, Jundo Santa
    SatToday

Last edited by Jundo; 12-25-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Peace and Joy to you Jundo and the rest of the Sangha.

I am headed to friends and most likely will not have internet. I will sit with all of you no matter where I am.

Gassho
    Doshin
    Stlah

Santa Jundo! Gassho!

A timely teaching! I've run into this a few times, and enjoy the teachable moments!

My son in law, recently questioned my wife regarding Buddhism...her response.."Good questions..you should ask Frank!"

I'll be looking forward to our family gatherings, and sharing the Dharma with friends and family.

Enjoy the moments....

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang) Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mp
    Peace and joy to you all ... may we all be safe and happy this season and the coming year! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Nothing to prove or convince others about, and simply be a good son or daughter, brother or sister and friend. That is enough. Join in all the family doings, sing the Christmas songs, go to church services if it makes your poor mom or dad happy ... just nod and say "maybe so" if someone is not so open minded ... .
    I’m negotiating this family relationship now. My father has been surprisingly open minded about Zen, but my mother feels she’s failed as a parent to have son turn his back on the religion I was raised in. But what about my own mind? Can I be open to my parents religion practice despite having rejected it? I will try!

Sat today.
    Gassho

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I’m negotiating this family relationship now. My father has been surprisingly open minded about Zen, but my mother feels she’s failed as a parent to have son turn his back on the religion I was raised in. But what about my own mind? Can I be open to my parents religion practice despite having rejected it? I will try!

Sat today.
    Gassho
    Todd,

I am in a similar situation as you. My sister and cousins know about my practice but my parents don't. My father likely wouldn't care but my mother is a born again evangelical, honestly life is simpler without her knowing. The practice has allowed me to be more accepting of her practices however which is good.

At the same time dealing with a blowout between my sister and father. Thus is family and holidays. Great opportunity for practice.

James F
    SAT lah

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    I'll be there Wednesday am via ZOD, 3am is a little too early/late even at Xmas.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,

Michael

Satlah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sing all the songs, be with the ones we love ... Celebrate Peace & Joy!
    Absolutely!!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you. I will sit along. Peace.

Gassho

ST/LAH
    James

Thank you Jundo, and everyone. I hope everyone is having a merry Christmas and that the new year will be good. I will join the abbreviated zazenkai tonight, tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

very good,
    gassho
    sean
    sat,lah

Thank you, Jundo, Stewart, and everyone. It was nice to finish the day of celebrating with an abbreviated zazenkai. Merry Christmas to everyone, peace, and a happy new year!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

A fine Christmas was had, joining with my Episcopalian Sangha, singing all the old carols, visiting with my sister, sharing about the sameness of prayer and meditation and the unkowingness of a soul vs allness.

Merry Gassho!
    Sat/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Thank you, Jundo, for offering this Christmas zazenkai. I was able to trade my parents me attending Christmas Eve church service for them witnessing zazen for the first time. Hopefully, creating some common understanding.

Gassho

Sat today

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Todd...thats great to hear!

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday

I'm very glad teo finally participate in a zazenkai two-way. Sorry for bumbling around with my microphone.

I agree with celebrating all peaceful holidays. This year I celebrated Rohatsu with you fine folks, and Christmas and solstice with my family. Missed out on Chanukah this year.

Sit zazen, go to church, fry up latkes, drink some wassail, and bang pots and pans to welcome in the new year! Celebrate them all! Celebrate none of them! Mix and match or make your own! Be joyful and spread peace!

Samantabhadra giving gifts!

Avalokitesvara listening to family members argue!

Manjushri seeing the emptiness of it all!

Gassho,

Maitri

st, about to go lah
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Thank you everyone,
    have a nice day!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Jundo!
    Unfortunately this is not the best of holiday seasons for my family. My brother-in-law was diagnosed with a brain tumor on Sunday and is awaiting surgery tomorrow morning. Then my 93 year old mother stumbled and fell today and broke her tigh bone. She will be in surgery tonight. My 90 year old father is completely devastated. This is especially hard on my sister who now not only has to worry about her husband but also about her mother.
    Dear sangha would you please do some metta for my brother-in-law, my mother, my sister and my father?
    And if you have any suggestions what I can do to help ease their pain except being there for them, please let me know.
    Gassho
    Christian
    Sat/Lah
    Teiro

Just sat the short zazenkai along with Jundo, and Stewart the Elf.
    Sending metta to Severus and all our Sangha.

Wishing all our brothers and sisters a happy and peaceful "now"

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday.....a few times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Severus View Post
    Thank you Jundo!
    Unfortunately this is not the best of holiday seasons for my family. My brother-in-law was diagnosed with a brain tumor on Sunday and is awaiting surgery tomorrow morning. Then my 93 year old mother stumbled and fell today and broke her tigh bone. She will be in surgery tonight. My 90 year old father is completely devastated. This is especially hard on my sister who now not only has to worry about her husband but also about her mother.
    Dear sangha would you please do some metta for my brother-in-law, my mother, my sister and my father?
    And if you have any suggestions what I can do to help ease their pain except being there for them, please let me know.
    Gassho
    Christian
    Sat/Lah
    Dear Christian,

All Metta, and dedicating our sittings to your brother-in-law, mother, father and all your family.

It is a terrible and difficult time. There is so much fear and sadness.

And yet ... and yet ... we must somehow sit knowing a Light which shines through sickness and health, birth and death. This moment also shines. There is this Flowing which sweeps away all fear, a Wholeness which holds all times to smile and times for tears. Please sit and live with such in one's heart even as we share the pain of this time. I know you already know how, Christian.

To be with those whom we love when they are sick is the hardest practice, the true monastery.

Peace to you and yours.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you so much Jundo and Frank,
    I‘m very glad to be part of this wonderful sangha.

Gassho
    Christian

Sat/Lah
    Teiro

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo. Thanks to your teachings through the years, as well as others here, I was able to have the first peaceful holiday with my in-laws in 6 years! They are both very conservative, judgemental, fundamental Christians and pastor a church in my home town. I was able to have the confidence to be comfortable with who I am as a person, and laugh and have a wonderful time with them, looking past our differences.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Thank you, Jundo. Thanks to your teachings through the years, as well as others here, I was able to have the first peaceful holiday with my in-laws in 6 years! They are both very conservative, judgemental, fundamental Christians and pastor a church in my home town. I was able to have the confidence to be comfortable with who I am as a person, and laugh and have a wonderful time with them, looking past our differences.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Severus, I have your family on my Metta list.

Sat/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Joyo
    Christian, thinking of you and your family.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Thank you Jundo!
    Gassho
    Christian
    Sat/Lah
    Oh my goodness. When it rains it pours. I will sit for your family and send Metta, I'm sure that being there for them to lean on is more important and helpful than you realize.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah
    Wonderful Joyo, the way it should be. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you all so much for doing metta for my family!

I have some good news. My mother‘s surgery went well and she already could get up and walk some steps with assistance.

What happened those last days is a very good lesson on the impermanence of life. One moment things are all right and in the next instance your world seems to completely fall apart.
    I will sit with this.

Gassho

Christian
    Sat/Lah
    Teiro

Great news Sevrus! Continued Metra your way for continued progress!

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday/LAH

Thank you Frank!

Gassho
    Christian-Severus

Satlah
    Teiro

Joyo

I have some good news. My mother‘s surgery went well and she already could get up and walk some steps with assistance.

What happened those last days is a very good lesson on the impermanence of life. One moment things are all right and in the next instance your world seems to completely fall apart.
    I will sit with this.

Gassho

Christian
    Sat/Lah
    Happy to hear the good news!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp

I will sit with this.

Gassho

Christian
    Sat/Lah
    This is great news, thank you letting us know. All the best. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I will sit with this.

Gassho

Christian
    Sat/Lah
    I'm happy to hear this good news, Christian. I will continue to offer metta to you and your family.

Gassho,

Michael

Stlah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo and everyone. Peaceful joy to all

Christian, I'm sitting for your father and sending Metta to you and family.
    It's also good to hear your mother is doing better.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.