Thread: [Engaged] Video Game Community Stepping Up

[Engaged] Video Game Community Stepping Up

Hi all,

Feel good story here. Video games have had a huge part in my life. I know they can be seem by some as a waste of time but lately the gaming community has done some wonderful things.

Just yesterday a popular streamer on twitch raised $611,000 for Saint Jude Cancer research during a 24 hour straight stream. This was not his first this year, he ended up raising a total of $1.3 million this year alone!

There is also an event each year where the community of speed runners hold a week long marathon which typically raises $1-$2 million for a charity each year.

Some truly wonderful people doing what they love and helping others.

James F
    SAT lah

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is wonderful, James.

I am going to link to this in our "My Favorite Charities" thread (and keep a link in "All of Life" too) because someone reading about it in the future might get inspired to do something like it!

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...RITE-CHARITIES

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-24-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    Hi all,

Feel good story here. Video games have had a huge part in my life. I know they can be seem by some as a waste of time but lately the gaming community has done some wonderful things.

Just yesterday a popular streamer on twitch raised $611,000 for Saint Jude Cancer research during a 24 hour straight stream. This was not his first this year, he ended up raising a total of $1.3 million this year alone!

There is also an event each year where the community of speed runners hold a week long marathon which typically raises $1-$2 million for a charity each year.

Some truly wonderful people doing what they love and helping others.

James F
    SAT lah

Thank you for sharing this, James. I have two boys who are obsessed with video games. I don't set a huge amount of limits, as I view it as any other hobby, and if it's something that someone enjoys that's perfectly ok. I will have to take a look and see if I can use it as a teaching tool for them to give back...thank you.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Thanks James, that really is cool.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Hi James,

I have been a gamer since Pong! back in the 70's. It's amazing when gamers unite to do stuff for charity. I don't talk about this much, but I often participate on these kinds of projects and it's amazing the amount of funds we can collect as a community.

Thank you for posting this.

Game on and Gassho!

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    (currently playing Witcher 3 and Battle Chasers... yes, I love RPGs)
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'm a long-time gamer both tabletop and computer.
    This post reminds me of the possibility of converting a leisure activity into something more meaningful.

Kevin
    #sat #today
    (just started Neverwinter Nights 2 ... like to wait until the games are old and cheap)

I was planning on streaming myself during Twitch's charity drive, unfortunately, I was unable to make the time with family visiting. I am so glad that it was as successful as it was.

If anyone is interested in being friends on Twitch, my screen name is ameliageika. A word of caution if anyone is to view my streams: my brand of humor is a little dark and often contains strong language.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, honestly much different then I expected. It really is amazing what the community can do, I am excited for the events in 2019. I watch more then play now. Mostly Counter Strike professional matches but also some people on twitch in the background while doing other tasks. Geika I will have to keep an eye out for you on twitch. My partner loves the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series however so I get to see those storylines.

James F
    Sat

This is awesome James, thanks for sharing. Video games are such fun, I used to love to play with my kids when they were younger, the sound of Mario Kart brings me right back to happy times LOL. How uplifting to hear that they can be used for charity in such a way! I had no idea!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH