Thread: First Recital of the LINEAGE of DIFFERENTLY-ABLED ANCESTORS

First Recital of the LINEAGE of DIFFERENTLY-ABLED ANCESTORS

I posted the following some facebook places, and submitted a version to the big Buddhist magazines ... I think our community has begun something good here ...

During our Rohatsu Retreat at Treeleaf this week, we recited for the first time a remembrance of our mentally and physically disabled Zen ancestors of the past, known or unknown, and will present the below Kechimyaku (Blood Lineage Chart) to recipients during our upcoming Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) ceremony in January.

We believe that this is the first time such a ceremony for the differently abled has been conducted by any Zen Buddhist Sangha in Asia or the west, and we would like to get out the word and have other Zen groups and teachers include something like it in their own periodic services. Please introduce the idea to any local groups you may participate in, and we are happy to provide any materials and help we can.

In fact, I am sad to say that, so far, we have not had so much luck in getting other Sangha interested in this, and the two major Buddhist magazines have refused to publicize it (I am not sure why, but I am going to try again with them this week. I will notify everyone if they change their minds). .Even the Soto Zen Buddhist Association of North America, which included a special focus on "diversity" at their most recent annual meeting (https://www.lionsroar.com/soto-zen-b...and-privilege/), has not seemed to be open to examining such a ceremony so far. Perhaps it continues to be an issue in the modern day as the disabled still face great difficulties in travel to and participation in many Zen groups, let alone having any hope of being able to Ordain and train for the priesthood.

We also recall our women ancestors with both a remembrance dedication and in this chart, another group which faced obstacles and was sometimes overlooked in this history of Buddhism, and not usually included by name among our traditional recitation of the Zen Ancestors. As with the women ancestors, the disabled were often considered in the history of Buddhism to be incapable of Buddhahood in that form, somehow lacking compared to able-bodied men, paying a Karmic debt, unsuitable to join into the mainstream Ordained Sangha. It is an idea from past ages that we can now help put aside. In truth, we had great trouble to identify even a few names to include for the list because most references to disability in the Sutras and Buddhist literature were negative references to disability. (In our research, we relied heavily on a paper called " "Buddhism and responses to disability, mental disorders and deafness in Asia" by M. Miles, available online, in which the author spent years going through translations of ancient Buddhist texts and other writings looking for any mention of the disabled or disabilities. https://www.independentliving.org/fi...iles201311.pdf) The story is mostly one of discrimination and obstacles, leading to the dedication on our Blood Lineage Chart.

=====.
    We honor and recognize those Ancestors who have brought us here, those who encountered barriers of sex and birth, those of different body and special mind so often misunderstood by the many, those who may have been met with exclusion or fear, those for whom the Path was filled with obstacles and barriers, we honor those for whom entrance was so often denied and halls once barred, the successive generations of Buddhas and Ancestors who transmitted the flame:
    =====.

The wording of our full recitation is below, and I am happy to share on request longer biographical information on each of the persons named (unfortunately, much detailed information is still lacking in traditional sources). We include those whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid. Gassho, Jundo.

DEDICATION & REMEMBRANCE of the DIFFERENTLY-ABLED ANCESTORS:

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here - now: In reciting the Heart of the Perfection of Great Wisdom Sutra we dedicate our sincere efforts to the successive generations of Buddhas and Ancestors who transmitted the flame, those of different body and special mind so often misunderstood by the many, those who may have been met with exclusion or fear, those for whom the Path was filled with obstacles and barriers, we honor those for whom entrance was so often denied and halls once barred:successive generations of buddhas and ancestors who transmitted the flame:

The Venerable Bhaddiya (Lakuntaka Bhaddiya) Dai Osho: Whose body was bent, and who met with scorn, but who persisted without resentment, and was praised by the Buddha for the highest attainment.

The Bodhisattva as Baby Prince Dai Osho: Who lived in a body without hearing, speech or free limb, in protest of injustice and cruelty in this world.

Khujjuttara Dai Osho: Bent of back, she cleansed her own heart, and was praised by the Buddha as "most learned."

Cakkhupala Dai Osho: Without sight, he saw clearly the true effects of malice and of killing which most others cannot see.

Patacara Dai Osho: At the deaths of the family she loved, left emotionally troubled and living homeless in the streets, a victim of derision from passers-by, the Buddha showed her the True Path and True Home through Impermanence.

Sanu Dai Osho: Prone to fits then little understood, seizures once thought an evil curse, he opens all our eyes.

Jianzhen (Ganjin) Dai Osho: Courageous and learned, without sight, he came from China to Japan to bring Buddhist Teachings and arts of healing.

Suppabuddha Dai Osho: Living with leprosy, he teaches not to judge by appearance or false beauty when many would turn away.

The Moso Dai Osho: Without sight, barred from Priesthood but with lutes in hand, they brought the Teachings to others in music and tales.

Arya Chudapanthaka Dai Osho: Slow to read and learn in words such that others gave up, the Buddha taught him to polish without and sweep the mind within.

Toju Reiso Dai Osho: Quick to forget, the slow student who persevered, a protector of Buddhism in difficult times, mender of sandals as his only gift, yet becoming the Abbot of great temples.

Those men and women, each and all Teachers in their way, who have struggled with addictions, confusion, depression and mental conditions often misunderstood.

And to all the many other honored ones, men and women through the generations, to whom the doors were closed, or whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid. We now seek to welcome all with doors flung open, halls unbarred.
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2022 at 01:22 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Lovely, thank you Jundo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday/LAH

Thank you Jundo,

so happy and grateful about this.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Doshin
    St

Beautiful.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank You Jundo.

Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today/LAH

This is beautiful.

Thank you Jundo....and Kokuu!

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gassho,
    Joseph
    Sat/It's early yet.

You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

Thank you Jundo!

As an individual with Aspegers (a form of autism spectrum disorder) it is wonderful to see other differently abled individuals included in the lineage.

While I am not severely effected, my autism has presented many hurdles to overcome throughout my young life. I find it very motivating to see so many ancestors that I can look to as examples in my practice.

Gassho,

Rob
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

So happy to have read this. It confirms for me, that our way is not exclusive but inclusive.

Sat2day, LAH
    Kind regards

Erik

I am also grateful to have found this lineage-recital here-

Gassho--
    Deborah

SatToday
    Last edited by Beldame; 01-02-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Thankyou Jundo and thankyou Kokuu.

This is beautiful and very moving. I hope this spreads to all Sanghas.

Gassho,
    Mark.

Sat today.

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

This is beautiful and very moving. I hope this spreads to all Sanghas.
    Jundo and I wrote several articles on this, including the chant, but sadly no Buddhist magazine seemed to be interested in the idea. Everywhere rejected it very quickly with no offer even for discussion.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Beautiful! Thank you Jundo & Kokuu

Gassho, Chris satlah

Kokuu, can we move this thread into your new "How to be Sick" group section?

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

To not have this lineage recognized as something worthy of discussion by Buddhist publications is sad news but not surprising. And so it continues. And so do we.

Gassho,
    Hensho

Satlah

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman