Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: Special New Year Zazenkai SATURDAY 1/5 with Zoketsu Norman Fischer

ATTENTION: Special New Year Zazenkai SATURDAY 1/5 with Zoketsu Norman Fischer

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Zen teacher, former Co-Abbot of the San Francisco Zen Center and author Zoketsu Norman Fischer will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk to welcome the New Year, SATURDAY JANUARY 5th, LIVE from California and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Norman Fischer ...

Zoketsu Norman Fischer is an American poet, writer, and Soto Zen priest, teaching and practicing in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki. He is a Dharma heir of Sojun Mel Weitsman, from whom he received Dharma transmission in 1988. Fischer served as co-abbot of the San Francisco Zen Center from 1995–2000, after which he founded the Everyday Zen Foundation in 2000, a network of Buddhist practice group and related projects in Canada, the United States and Mexico. Fischer has published more than twenty-five books of poetry and non-fiction, as well as numerous poems, essays and articles in Buddhist magazines and poetry journals.

From 1970 through 1976, Fischer trained at the Berkeley Zen Center under the guidance of Sojun Mel Weitsman. In 1976, he and his wife moved to Tassajara, a training monastery near Big Sur, where they lived as residential monastics for five years. In 1980, they were both ordained as Zen priests by Zentatsu Richard Baker, from whom Fischer received the dharma name Zoketsu Rinsho. In 1981, they moved to Green Gulch Farm Zen Center in Marin County, California, where Fischer served in various monastic positions including Director, Tanto (Head of Practice), and Co-Abbot from 1981 to 2000. During that time, in 1988, he received Dharma transmission from his longtime teacher, Sojun Mel Weitsman.

From 1995 to 2000, Fischer served as co-abbot of the San Francisco Zen Center (SFZC), first with Sojun Mel Weitsman, and then with Zenkei Blanche Hartman. During his abbacy, Fischer supported the research, drafting and formal institution of a women's lineage chant, alongside the traditional men's lineage chant, during services. Later, with poet and translator Peter Levitt, he supported the drafting of an official women's lineage paper—the first female lineage document in the history of any major world religion—which traces the line of female practitioners from the Buddha's time to the present and recognizes the important historical role of the Zen women ancestors. In 1987, Fischer founded (among others) the Zen Hospice Project at the San Francisco Zen Center, for which he served as board chair for over 20 years.

Fischer is a proponent of interreligious dialogue between the worlds' religions, stating:

"I feel that in our period it is the challenge of religious traditions to do something more than simply reassert and reinterpret their faiths, hoping for loyal adherents to what they perceive to be the true doctrine. Looking back at the last century, with its devastating wars and holocausts and the shock of ecological vulnerability, I have the sense that religious traditions must now have a wider mission, and it is in the recognition of this mission, I believe, that interreligious dialogue becomes something not only polite and interesting, but also essential."

Fischer has written about the concept of God being integral to Judaism and many other religions. In his book Opening to You: Zen-Inspired Translations of the Psalms (Viking, 2002), Fischer replaced the words "God", "King", and "Lord" with the word "You." He explains:

"For many of the religious seekers I encounter, the word God has been all but emptied of its spiritual power. The relationship to God that is charted out in the Psalms is a stormy one, co-dependent, passionate, confusing, loyal, petulant, sometimes even manipulative. I wanted to find a way to approach these poems so as to emphasize the relational aspect, while avoiding the major distancing pitfalls that words like God, King, Lord and so on create."

Fischer has written nine books on Zen, over fifteen books of poetry, and numerous essays and books on writing, poetry, and spirituality. His essays have been published in magazines such as Buddhadharma, Tricycle and Shambhala Sun, and in collections such as Radical Poetics and Secular Jewish Culture (University of Alabama Press, 2010) and The Best Buddhist Writing (Shambhala Sun).
    The festivities will begin at 9:30 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SATURDAY 1/5 (that is 12:30pm in New York, London 5:30pm and Paris 6:30pm, all SATURDAY JANUARY, 5th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 25 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Norman for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes.

Susan is the author of several wonderful books, which include ...

• What Is Zen?: Plain Talk for a Beginner's Mind, which we are reading in our "No Words" Book Club (LINK)

This unique introduction to Zen teaching and practice takes the remarkably accessible form of question-and-answer—making it a most useful reference for looking things up. But whether you're a neophyte or a seasoned practitioner, you'll want to read the whole thing. The questioner (Susan Moon) and the answerer (Norman Fischer) are old friends, each with a unique gift for articulation, and their friendly conversation covers not only the basics but a range of issues.
    • The World Could Be Otherwise: Imagination and the Bodhisattva Path, to be released in 2019 (LINK)

An imaginative approach to spiritual practice in difficult times, through the Buddhist teaching of the six paramitas or "perfections"--qualities that lead to kindness, wisdom, and an awakened life. In frightening times, we wish the world could be otherwise. With a touch of imagination, it can be. Imagination helps us see what’s hidden, and it shape-shifts reality’s roiling twisting waves. In this inspiring reframe of a classic Buddhist teaching, Zen teacher Norman Fischer writes that the paramitas, or “six perfections”—generosity, ethical conduct, patience, joyful effort, meditation, and understanding—can help us reconfigure the world we live in. Ranging from our everyday concerns about relationships, ethics, and consumption to our artistic inspirations and broadest human yearnings, Fischer depicts imaginative spiritual practice as a necessary resource for our troubled times.
    • Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on the Practice of Lojong (LINK)

Lojong is the Tibetan Buddhist practice that involves working with short phrases (called "slogans") as a way of generating bodhichitta, the heart and mind of enlightened compassion. Though the practice is more than a millennium old, it has become popular in the West only in the last twenty years or so—and it has become very popular indeed, because it's a practice that one can fit very well into an ordinary life, and because it works. It's in this spirit that Norman Fischer offers his commentary on the lojong slogans. He applies Zen wisdom to them, showing how well they fit in that related tradition, but he also sets the slogans in the context of resonant practices throughout the spiritual traditions. He shows lojong to be a wonderful method for everyone, including those who aren't otherwise interested in Buddhism, who don't have the time or inclination to meditate, or who'd just like to morph into the kind of person who's focused rather than scattered, generous rather than stingy, and kind rather than thoughtless.
    • Taking Our Places: The Buddhist Path to Truly Growing Up (LINK)

This engaging contemplation of maturity addresses the long neglected topic of what it means to grow up, and provides a hands–on guide for skilfully navigating the demands of our adult lives.... Fischer began to investigate our preconceptions about what it means to be "an adult" and shows how crucial true maturity is to leading an engaged, fulfilled life. Taking Our Places details the marks of a mature person and shows how these attributes can help alleviate our suffering and enrich our relationships. Discussing such qualities as awareness, responsibility, humour, acceptance, and humility, Fischer brings a fresh and at times surprising new perspective that can turn old ideas on their heads and reinvigorate our understanding of what it means to be mature.
      ... and many more.

I would like to fill our hangout and show Norman a big turnout. If there is a large number of folks, I may try to open a second hangout that day as well. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com). It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome Zoketsu! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

REQUESTED DONATION

PS - It would be polite for those participating, and anyone watching and benefiting even at a later time, to offer a little donation to the teacher, for even a great Zen Teacher must eat and pay the rent. I will leave it to what you can afford, but I might suggest $20 per person ... more or less than that depending on your means and ability. This is a bargain, compared to one dinner out, a movie, let alone seats at an Elton John concert. Also, do not forget his books, which are treasures.

His paypal account is the best place to make a donation:

Insert the following email address: zoketsu[a]gmail.com

Last edited by Jundo; 01-02-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com). Folks who wish to "be there live," to confirm by email TWO WAY (Hangout) or ONE WAY (just viewing). Please be clear on that. Thank you.

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout If there is additional demand, some people will be on STANDBY WAITING LIST for this event.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT, AND SHINGEN WILL SEND OUT INVITATIONS AND POST A LINK TO JOIN IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure the Norman has gotten there). I draw names out of the hat.

The people for the MAIN HANGOUT GROUP are (as of now):

1- Washin
    2- Amelia
    3- Kunzang (Frank)
    4- Kotei (Ralph)
    5- Meitou
    6- Anka (James)
    7- Shingen
    8- Shokai
    9- Norman Fischer
    10-Jundo

Waiting list for Main Hangout: - WAITING LIST PEOPLE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COME IN IF THERE ARE OPEN SPACES AFTER THE NETCAST BEGINS.

1- Bokusei (Sam)
    2- Kyonin

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen posted above in this thread.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Norman from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Norman, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Beautiful!

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mp
    Wonderful Jundo, thank you for making this possible. I will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'm really pleased about this, thank you Jundo for organising. I'll email to confirm, but count me in.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I would like to confirm that I will be there live. If that perhaps changes, I will give immediate notice, but as of now, I will most likely have that day off.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you Jundo! I'm planning to be there live.

Gassho
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Emailing to confirm, count me in. Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Thank you, Jundo,
    sending email...
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat /lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you for organising this Jundo. I’ll make every effort to be there live.
    Gassho
    Libby (ST)

Sorry, I should have said to the folks who wish to "be there live," to confirm by email TWO WAY (Hangout) or ONE WAY (just viewing). Please be clear on that. Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you. I am available to be present two way.

Doshin
    St

Email sent, looking forward to it.

James F
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mp
    Email sent. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Email sent

Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent the email.

Sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Email sent.

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching

I am already committed to helping out at my son’s school at that time. I’ll take part with the recording later.

Thank you for arranging all these guests to Treeleaf

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live, but I'm willing to give my seat to someone who really wants it

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be there. Probably one way but I'll confirm as we get closer. Or if you just want to assign me to be one-way that is fine too.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Email sent. Looking forward to it.

Gassho
    Bokusei

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear All Participants in this Saturday's Zazenkai with Norman Fischer ...

I have made seat assignments based on folks' expressions of availability and wishes. Please note your name below if you said you wished to participate.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT, AND SHINGEN WILL SEND OUT INVITATIONS AND POST A LINK TO JOIN IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure the Norman has gotten there).

The people for the MAIN HANGOUT GROUP are (as of now):

1- Washin
    2- Amelia
    3- Kunzang (Frank)
    4- Kotei (Ralph)
    5- Meitou
    6- Anka (James)
    7- Shingen
    8- Shokai
    9- Norman Fischer
    10-Jundo

Waiting list for Main Hangout: - WAITING LIST PEOPLE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COME IN IF THERE ARE OPEN SPACES AFTER THE NETCAST BEGINS. I WILL CALL FOR WAITING LIST FOLKS TO JOIN, FIRST COME FIRST SEATED, IF THERE ARE OPEN SEATS AT THE START OF THE NETCAST.

1- Bokusei (Sam)
    2- Kyonin

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen posted above in this thread. One-Way viewing screen is here, at the top of this thread:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post234450

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Norman from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Norman, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

Gassho, Jundo

STLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Thank you Jundo, I'll be there.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I'm there Jundo.

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday

Thank you Jundo, I'll be there as well.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I'm there too. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Looking forward to it.
    James F
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Will be there live one-way.
    Looking forward to it, thank you Jundo.

_()_
    sosen
    st/lah

Hi,

agh, I have to work and will likely only catch the end of the Norm-zenkai, if at all. So I'm giving up my seat in the Hangout. Jundo may reassign it, or it will just be vacant for others to fill when he calls for people on the waiting list to come in.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Hi,

Am having some IT issues. I appreciate in principle it's first come first served, but in case good manners get the better of us: rather than risk leaving a blank space, Kyonin please take precedence in the waiting list. .... Will join one way for sure, but two-way might not be possible.

Gassho
    Bokusei

Dear All,

I will be posting the link in this thread in about 20 minutes (about 15 minutes after the hour) once our main guest is inside. People with reserved places, please look for the link then.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Here is the link for folks listed in the two-way hangout ...

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...06458&hl=en_GB

Thank you, Jundo.

I'm connected and ready for one way participation. Will join if a seat opens.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Made it home from work in time for one-way participation, yay! Excited!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I am here for either one way or two way. ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I am here one way as well.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you Norman, thank you Jundo and everyone
    for the inspiring talk and the Q and A.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Wow, that was just a fantastic talk, Thanks to all for the great questions and thanks to Norman Fisher for his great answers. I think this will be a video I come back to again and again.

Thank you for making this happen Jundo!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

Gassho Zoketsu Norman Fischer
    Gassho Jundo
    Gassho Sangha

A lot of the discussion was very timely for me. Wonderful questions and answers. Thank you all.

James F
    Sat

Deep bows to Zoketsu Norman Fischer and all who participated, that was just wonderful. Such helpful and informative questions and answers.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Wonderful, it s great that we are able to hear the wisdom of one who has devoted a lifetime to Zen. Thank you Norman for sharing; and Jundo for arranging this opportunity.

gassho, Shokai
    stlahi
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you to all.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Amazing!!! Wonderful talk!
    The part about Joshu's yes/no and gender was liberating. Then the part about the three attitudes of a priest was so helpful. Then the part about practice with/of/because of/for others was inspiring. Then the part about "love is political, is the program" was so needed now.

With many bows.
    Shinzan
    stlah

Thank you Jundo and Norman Fischer for making this happen and to everyone who participated, that was a wonderful and insightful talk!

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

It was a great and insightul discussion! Huge thank you to Jundo, Norman Fischer and all
    who participated in the event.

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Last edited by Washin; 01-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

Ditto, again!
    Great time sitting across the miles, and THANK YOU to Norman Roshi, and Jundo for this opportunity.

Have to figure out my microphone issue before next week

Gassho ALL!

Frank (Kunzang)

Thank you Jundo for arranging and to all for the stimulating questions. Inspiring.
    Gassho
    saTToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, thank you Norman for a lovely talk. I am sorry I could not be live with you, as I am on the road in North Dakota, but I was live in spirit. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

It was an excellent talk. It was so informative that I will probably watch the lecture and questions again to make sure it sinks in. Thank you so much to Norman Fischer, Jundo and everyone.

It was especially nice to join live after a long time. Hopefully soon I will stop working evenings on Fridays and I can join zazenkai live more often.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Thank you, Jundo, Norman Fischer, and everyone who participated. The talk and the Q&A were eye-opening. I was glad to be able to sit with the recording.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast