Thread: The oldest depiction of the Buddha in human form?

The oldest depiction of the Buddha in human form?

Hello all

Yesterday I watched this video from The British Museum in which a curator for the South Asia section gives us a look at the beautiful Bimaran Casket from Gandhara which is the oldest dateable depiction of the Buddha in human form.

I thought others might to be interested to see it. It doesn't have much to do with our practice but I found it fascinating in its own right as part of our Buddhist history.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday

Thank you, Kokuu. Lovely.

Of course, even then we are looking at something created 500 years or more after the probable lifetime of the historical Buddha, so not exactly a "selfie" ("non-selfie"??)

When I was in India two years ago, I was very moved to see some of the original Buddhist depictions of Buddha ... which refused to depict the Buddha, apart from an empty space, a tree, a pair of footprints, a Wheel of the Dharma ... Very Zen ...

By the way, in the Ghandaran art, which influenced the Chinese and Japanese statues which we know and cherish like this Japanese Amida Buddha ...

... people may be surprised when it is pointed out that there is a very strong Greek influence. It is true. Ghandara was on the Silk Road, the meeting point of East and West. Do you see that the Kesa Robe he wears, with its straight liines, is a toga, and the idealized body and hair of the Buddha and other elements are influenced by Greco-Roman statuary? It is true.

More on Greco-Buddhist art here ...

http://www.hellenicaworld.com/Greece...ddhistArt.html

Gassho, J

STTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks, Jundo. That is really interesting about the Greek and Gandharan influences. It is definitely noticeable the robes look more toga-ish than Buddhist.

In Christian imagery, statues and pictures of their god were based on Greek depictions of Zeus so there is a wide influence of classical religious iconography.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

thank you for sharing this Kokuu

_()_
    sosen
    st/lah

Very interesting, thank you Kokuu and Jundo! The British Museum is incredible, I hope to go back and maybe see this up close someday!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The British Museum is indeed incredible although I do have quite some issues with a large amount of the material that is in there.

Although it is wonderful that it is on display for people to see, even this week the Rapa Nui people of Easter Island have been petitioning for the return of one of their ancestral statues: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rn-moai-statue

On the other hand, I do hope you make a trip to the UK!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

The Asian Art Museum in San Francisco has a great collection and some of it specifically shows Greek influences... like "Standing Buddha":

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.