Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2018 -- MAIN PAGE

Thank you all. Much metta to all sentient beings suffering

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all who joined in and those who will sit later.
    Happy Rohatsu to you all. May we go forth in the Dharma together.

gassho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo, and everyone who made this Rohatsu possible. I learned from each of the talks, and it was wonderful to practice with everyone who practiced with this and who will practice with this.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thanks to all. It was good to see and hear the Priets in training these past two days.

Doshin
    Stlah

Thank you all for your practice!

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello,
    every single talk has been an eye-opener for me.
    Thank you all for your effort and for sitting this together.
    It's late night over here and the stars came out.
    Will take a short walk before sleeping.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Endless bows and gratitude to all. Metta and love.

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Thanks to all. It was good to see and hear the Priets in training these past two days.

Doshin
    Stlah
    Ditto!
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Thank you to everyone for your sincere and dedicated practice. It's such a privilege to be here.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you Jundo, all our priests, and everyone for a wonderful Rohatsu.

I had a slow start due to a technicality today. It appears my iPad had insufficient memory to log into Hangouts. Once i figured that out, and just switched to my iPhone...smooth sailing!

Thank you for providing the links before each session. That was very helpful.

Onto...Jukai!

Gassho
    Frank (Kunzang)
    Satoday...joyously!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Deep bows and so much appreciation for everyone who sat and will sit. Rohatsu is always such a wonderful time with everyone coming together.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    sattoday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thank you so much to all the priests and everyone who sat/is sitting/will sit in the ten directions. It was a lovely weekend with you all.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to sit live due to work and family duties! I will use the recorded video to sit throughout the week though!

Thanks to all involved with facilitating the retreat!

Gassho,

Rob

SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

My congratulations again to all of you who have sat or are sitting this Retreat, as well as our priests who guided sitting with such care.

For those who could not see the Han (Wooden Block) that I was striking in our opening on the first day as the camera blurred, here are some photos. It hangs outside the front door of our Treeleaf Zendo in Tsukuba.

It calls all sitters to Zazen. Inscribed is the traditional verse ...

"Life and death are the great matter.
    To waste time is a pity.
    All is impermanent and passes swiftly away.
    Time waits for no one."

The other plaque over the door contains calligraphy by Nishijima Roshi, and reads "Ko no Ha Zendo" ... Treeleaf Zendo.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

han 1.jpg

han 2.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

So sad that I had to abandon Rohatsu half way through unit 3 on day 2, my cat started having seizures and I couldn't leave my husband to deal with it all alone, I knew also that I wouldn't be fully present. However I am so grateful that I got to sit so much of the weekend live, it was wonderful. I'll be catching up with the rest of the units this week.
    Heartfelt thanks to all of you!
    Off to the vets now

Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    So sad that I had to abandon Rohatsu half way through unit 3 on day 2, my cat started having seizures and I couldn't leave my husband to deal with it all alone, I knew also that I wouldn't be fully present. However I am so grateful that I got to sit so much of the weekend live, it was wonderful. I'll be catching up with the rest of the units this week.
    Off to the vets now

Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    Oh Meitou I hope the kitty is ok! May s/he be at ease. Sending Metta and hope for the best.

Sounds to me like you were fully present and didn't abandon anything. Deep bows.

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Also want to give thanks to Jundo for, well, everything of course... but especially this year, the reading of the Differently-Abled Ancestors. Such a beautiful moment, and really exemplifies what we're all about here.

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Hello all,

Happy Rohatsu! I'm beginning my retreat today and hoping to finish on Wednesday. I will have to stretch it out due to some back issues and more home repairs but so happy to be able to participate for another year.

Meitou - I hope you and kitty are doing okay!

Thank you to all of you!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    onretreat

Thank you to everyone who participated or will participate in the future.

I wasn't able to do the full retreat but I did sit with you each morning and evening. I will do some catch-up later. I am particularly keen to hear the dharma talks from our priests.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Wow! Rohatsu was amazing. I was totally exhausted by the end of it. My hips hurt, my back ached. I don't think I could have sat zazen for a single minute longer. But I also found that after being with everyone for so long and sitting all the way through to the end, I wished we could all go out for pizza and beer to celebrate.

Instead, I took two ibuprofen and had a long nap.

Today, I'm feeling love and deep gratitude to this sangha.

Gassho,
    Kate

sattoday
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Wasn't able to sit live on day 2. Will be catching up here and there over the next week or so.

James F
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Wow! Rohatsu was amazing. I was totally exhausted by the end of it. My hips hurt, my back ached. I don't think I could have sat zazen for a single minute longer. But I also found that after being with everyone for so long and sitting all the way through to the end, I wished we could all go out for pizza and beer to celebrate.

Gassho,
    Kate

sattoday
    Hi Kate!

I was exhausted too! I had a nice dinner here at home, but in my heart I wanted to be with you all. I'm happy it was a good experience for you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I kinda felt the same way! Excited, fulfilled, etc, but achey back and hips. If it was a brick and mortar Zendo, is been up for a pizza, or coffee or something, just to share experiences!

It was Definately..."ALL GOOD" !

FRANK

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I was totally exhausted by the end of it. My hips hurt, my back ached. I don't think I could have sat zazen for a single minute longer.
    I felt the same. This was my first time with repeated, extended zazen. I wasn't prepared for feeling so beat when I woke up on day 2! But it gave me a renewed appreciation for kinhin

Thank you all for your preparation, facilitation, and participation. I was able to join live for about 1/2 the sessions, including the opening and closing. A wonderful introductory experience.

Sat today. Gassho.

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

The other plaque over the door contains calligraphy by Nishijima Roshi, and reads "Ko no Ha Zendo" ... Treeleaf Zendo.
    At first I didn't realize you'd included the translation. A quick trip to Google turned "Ko no Ha Zendo" into "this is a fact". Oddly accurate, if wrong.

Sat today.

Gassho

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Todd;
    you were lucky,at World Lingo Translation Services you get "wooden leaf"

And if you are really not careful which kanji to use zendo can translate to peristalsis or crawling like a worm.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    Last edited by Shokai; 12-10-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Still in the middle of it, but thank you all for a wonderful Rohatsu.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Off to the vets now

Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    When I was on my first week of unemployment, my cat Penny caught a bad case of conjuctivitis. This is when Zen training kicked in, I had to have faith things will work out. They will for you and your cat. Hopefully, the seizures will get under control.
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post

Gassho,
    Kate

sattoday
    I slept in today, I needed a heated microwavable pack for my legs when I when done! Oi veis! Feeling connection with all you beautiful people.

> But it gave me a renewed appreciation for kinhin <

Kinhin! Ha! Ha! Ha! I thought the same thing! Somebody knew what he was doing when he invented that. -Kate

Sat today. Sat a LONG time yesterday. LAH/Gassho/etc.
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

I'm getting ready to start day2. Yes, I'm feeling day 1 of retreat...in my bones. My knee swelled and I couldn't sit seiza anymore, so I found sitting at the top of my stairs with my feet on the third step going down to be a nice solution. This way, I can also use the handrail to help get up if/when needed .

Especially through the aches and pains, it has been wonderful thus far. Once again, many thanks and bows to you Jundo and all Unsui for making this possible.

These are my retreat companions.
    retreatbuddies.jpg

Let's begin...
    Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    onretreat

Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    I'm getting ready to start day2. Yes, I'm feeling day 1 of retreat...in my bones. My knee swelled and I couldn't sit seiza anymore, so I found sitting at the top of my stairs with my feet on the third step going down to be a nice solution. This way, I can also use the handrail to help get up if/when needed .

Especially through the aches and pains, it has been wonderful thus far. Once again, many thanks and bows to you Jundo and all Unsui for making this possible.

retreatbuddies.jpg

Let's begin...
    Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    onretreat
    Don't overdo. Recline, sit in a chair, do what you need. Young monks can push themselves like marines in boot camp, old monks need to watch the arthritic knees.

for example, our special Zazenkai a few years ago with the great Rev. Tonen O'Connor who came for a visit, and had to sit Zazen in a chair ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-11-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Hi All,-
    I am pleased to report that I was able to sit with Tonen O' Conner for a full 30 min for the first time in a while, 30 min with Treeleaf, and there was no time, 30 min was as ten minutes. With my new medicine (injection, non-narcotic) a biological, after 5 months of medicine every 4 wk.s it's finally working, no pain while sitting with honored Tonen O' Conner, This is years in coming. Thank you.

Tai Shi
    sat today/lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 12-11-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Hi All,-
    I am pleased to report that I was able to sit with Tonen O' Conner for a full 30 min for the first time in a while, 30 min with Treeleaf, and there was no time, 30 min was as ten minutes. With my new medicine (injection, non-narcotic) a biological, after 5 months of medicine every 4 wk.s it's finally working, no pain while sitting with honored Tonen O' Conner, This is years in coming. Thank you.

Tai Shi
    sat today/lah
    Gassho
    Wonderful news!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

... it's finally working, no pain while sitting with honored Tonen O' Conner, This is years in coming. Thank you.

Tai Shi
    sat today/lah
    Gassho
    So happy to hear this, Tai Shi!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Hi All,-

Tai Shi
    sat today/lah
    Gassho
    What a good news, Tai Shi!

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

retreatbuddies.jpg

Let's begin...
    Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    onretreat
    That's funny, my cats didn't come investigate at all. Must have overheard that cat story.

Gassho

Jen

ST

retreatbuddies.jpg

Let's begin...
    Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    onretreat
    Kelly,

Awe such cute companions!

I'm sure we have many 4 legged treeleaf retreater, Terra sat all of the retreat with me.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sattoday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Marshmallow also joined in right after Jakuden's session.

James F
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone who participated. It was a great experience for me. I enjoyed the talks by the Unsui it was interesting to hear their takes on things. I liked the discussion on Nanchuan's cat. I have often wondered if this was a sort of King Solomon's case with the baby. Perhaps both groups were arguing that they desired the cat and so the solution was to cut it in half. Perhaps a teaching on desire and attachment. I can never really get a handle on that story. I find it interesting that Nanchuan's cat is kind of a Schrodinger's cat in that whether it lives or dies kind of depends on the listener's (or reader's) perspective.

Anyway, I thought all the talks were great and I really appreciated being with everyone.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I am just getting over a stubborn chest/upper respiratory virus that knocked me out for the past week, so unfortunately I missed Rohatsu. I have just now found this thread and the recording, and I greatly look forward to sitting and enjoying the broadcast with you all in the "eternal now" of zazen.

Thank you all for sharing your practice.

Gassho
    kim
    st/lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    I am just getting over a stubborn chest/upper respiratory virus that knocked me out for the past week, so unfortunately I missed Rohatsu. I have just now found this thread and the recording, and I greatly look forward to sitting and enjoying the broadcast with you all in the "eternal now" of zazen.

Thank you all for sharing your practice.

Gassho
    kim
    st/lh
    Be well, and do only what the body will allow.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Finally finished Rohatsu On Demand late last night. Thank you to all who made this possible and thank you for the valuable words of wisdom of each Dharma talk. Deep bows to all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

How marvelous and wonderful. Reading all the posts by the many people joined together worldwide to just sit!
    "May all be free from self-clinging" is both an invitation and a benediction.
    Jundo and all the priests and all we sitters really basked in this way of life.

With deep gratitude.
    Shinzan

Thank you all for sitting this year's Rohatsu

Gassho
    Souchi

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    Kokuu's Samu talk was especially meaningful to me. Wish there was a transcript of it for us hearing challenged folk.

Sat/ LAH
    Kyousui, I don't know if you'll see this, but I've got that transcript for you. The problem is I can't send it because your PM inbox is full! Is there anything you could delete to make some room? If not, no problem, if you can let me have your email, I'll mail it to you,
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday lah
    UPDATE; I've sent you an email via your profile
    Last edited by Meitou; 02-19-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123