Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 185

Thread: Living Earth

  1. #101
    The state of our planet is very saddening. I still believe that activism is a very Bodhisattva thing to do (as long as its a good thing of course). I think we can care about our planet, politics, etc. to work for positive changes that reduce suffering while also not becoming overwhelmed, or sacrificing our peace. Leaning into the sadness instead of away from it. I wrote a short article for Elephant Journal last week talking about how we are outpacing what the planet can keep up with. If anyone wants to read it: "Exponential Growth Is Killing Us" (the original title).

    Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
    The state of our planet is very saddening. I still believe that activism is a very Bodhisattva thing to do (as long as its a good thing of course). I think we can care about our planet, politics, etc. to work for positive changes that reduce suffering while also not becoming overwhelmed, or sacrificing our peace. Leaning into the sadness instead of away from it. I wrote a short article for Elephant Journal last week talking about how we are outpacing what the planet can keep up with. If anyone wants to read it: "Exponential Growth Is Killing Us" (the original title

    Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH

    Kendrick,

    Well said. Good article and thanks for writing it.

    Doshin
    St

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Kendrick,

    Well said. Good article and thanks for writing it.

    Doshin
    St


    Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

  4. #104
    Thank you very much for your article, Kendrick.
    Your encoragment of our small actions to make a better world for the planet and it's inhabitants is just what we need in these times of environmental despair.

    Mateus
    Sat today

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Thank you very much for your article, Kendrick.
    Your encoragment of our small actions to make a better world for the planet and it's inhabitants is just what we need in these times of environmental despair.

    Mateus
    Sat today


    Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

  6. #106
    Wonderful article Kendrick. I agree with what you are saying. My wife and I have been having this same conversation as we are trying to make changes to our household consumption and hoping our seemingly small efforts make a difference.

    Thank you for sharing and reminding us that our efforts do matter.


    Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

  7. #107
    Thank you for this article Kendrick. I love how you emphasize that the action of each individual, no matter how small, helps to change things for the better.

    Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday

  8. #108
    I totally agree.

    Each one of us must do whatever possible to fix the mess we have created. Waiting on companies or politicians won't take us far. This practice is about sitting zazen as much as it is doing the best we can to save all sentient beings... ourselves included.

    Gassho,

    Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

  9. #109
    Tairin, Seibu, Kyonin.. thank you

    Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

  10. #110
    Great article, Kendrick! Thank you!

    I totally agree with the notion of perpetual growth that is baked into our economics. It is clearly unsustainable.

    In 2009 an interesting report was published by the Sustainable Development Commission called Prosperity Without Growth which looks at exactly this notion and how we can continue to live well with zero growth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_Without_Growth

    So much needs challenging in the way we look at life but you are right that the only person we have direct control over is ourselves, and that is where change needs to begin.

    Deep bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

  11. #111
    Some lovely online initiatives from Emergence Magazine are currently on offer..

    https://emergencemagazine.org/community/

    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  12. #112
    For some of us it will likely be a year or so before we can let down our guard because of this pandemic. What we await is Science to develop a vaccine so we can resume some of what we took for granted. I have set my expectations on that and will use the time to deepen my practice. Time may pass before I can be with family again.

    For this thread. which I started over my dismay for the loss of the world’s biodiversity, I hope the teaching many receive from this event is that Science has been what we were looking too/hoping for to once again further our survival. And when that time comes, maybe, just maybe, more will listen to Science when it speaks to the reality that we are changing ecosystems by our greed, ignorance and delusion that we are separate from all. Hopefully more will take action so that our descendants will inherit a world with less despair, a healthy environment and still a place we share with the wonder of other species as we travel through a known and unknown universe on this beautiful rock that is home, That is my hope.

    Be safe, be well

    Doshin
    St

  13. #113
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Sing it Comrade Doshin!
    My partner and I are expecting 12-18 months before things get back to how they were... Unfortunately.
    Unfortunately because like yourself I fear for Mother Earth and ALL of her inhabitants both living and everything else that we dismiss as having little value unless in capitalist terms.
    Aside from increased health risk this time will pass easily enough for my partner and myself. I too see it as an opportunity to deepen my practice and connect deeper with my immediate surroundings.
    Viva Science!
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    Sat today/about to potter around outside
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    Sing it Comrade Doshin!
    On the way to my little 'zendo' this morning... others are singing it, too.
    https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-357689516/tschirp

    Thank you Doshin.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-07-2020 at 07:52 AM.

    義道 冴庭 / Gidou Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

  15. #115

  16. #116
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    On the way to my little 'zendo' this morning... others are singing it, too.
    https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-357689516/tschirp

    Thank you Doshin.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Beautiful.
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  17. #117
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Thank you Doshin
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  18. #118
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Another interesting article

    https://climateandcapitalism.com/202...y-combination/

    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  19. #119
    This video is available on YouTube for free. It is a pretty sobering message.





    Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    This video is available on YouTube for free. It is a pretty sobering message.





    Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Yes very sobering Tairin.

    As exhibited at the very beginning these issues were anticipated long ago.

    I have worked on green energy issues regarding wildlife and long ago reached the conclusion that green isn’t necessarily green.

    The paradigm that infinite growth on a finite planet is not sustainable sums it all up.

    And the closing quote by Rachel Carlson from so long ago is telling “Humandkind is challenged, as it has never been challenged before to prove its maturity and its mastery-not of nature, but of its self.”

    Doshin
    St

  21. #121
    It's so sad, we've been spinning our wheels for over sixty years. We can all do some small bits but, it takes governments to do the big stuff and they can't seem to agree.

    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    It's so sad, we've been spinning our wheels for over sixty years. We can all do some small bits but, it takes governments to do the big stuff and they can't seem to agree.

    gassho, Shokai
    stlah

    Shokai your thoughts are part of my daily perspective. On the first Earth Day 50 years ago I raised my voice with hope. I was in the middle of an education to tackle those environmental problems. On Earth Day last month I acknowledge we have come a little ways but the journey ahead is still long. May Our species choose the right path.

    Doshin
    St

    Doshin
    St

  23. #123
    https://www.upaya.org/program/awaken...speak/?id=2326


    This past Sunday I participated in a day long conference put on by Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico USA about climate change. Leading female Buddhist voices and others addressed the science, social and gender implications. The above link is for your information. Many of the talks were packed with information and I plan to listen to some again to further digest the information presented.

    Gassho
    Doshin
    St
    Last edited by Doshin; 06-25-2020 at 12:22 AM.

  24. #124
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    https://www.upaya.org/program/awaken...speak/?id=2326


    This past Sunday I participated in a day long conference put on by Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico USA about climate change. Leading female Buddhist voices and others addressed the science, social and gender implications. The above link is for your information. Many of the talks were packed with information and I plan to listen to some again to further digest the information presented.

    Gassho
    Doshin
    St
    Thanks for the link Doshin. Later today I'm going to see if by registering I can listen to last weekend's talks. Some good ones coming up too I see.
    Gassho
    Onka
    St

    Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  25. #125
    Thank you, Doshin.

    This sad news today ...

    Siberian town records 100 degree F day — the hottest in Arctic history

    The new all-time high follows the world's hottest May on record.


    ... On Saturday (June 20), temperatures in the far-north town of Verkhoyansk broke 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) for the first time, according to news reports.

    If verified, that makes Saturday's high the hottest-ever temperature documented above the Arctic Circle, The Washington Post reported.

    https://www.livescience.com/hottest-...r-siberia.html
    Gassho, J

    SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  26. #126
    Thanks Doshin, I'll have a listen. Sounds like an interesting day.

    Gassho

    Heiso
    StLah

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  27. #127
    For those who may be interested

    https://oneearthsangha.org/

    Be Safe, Be Well

    Doshin
    St

  28. #128
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    For those who may be interested

    https://oneearthsangha.org/

    Be Safe, Be Well

    Doshin
    St
    Nice one. Cheers comrade.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

    Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  29. #129
    Thank you, Doshin!

    The name reminds me of this Gary Snyder poem:

    O Waters

    O waters
    wash us, me,
    under the wrinkled granite
    straight-up slab,

    and sitting by camp in the pine shade
    Nanao sleeping,
    mountains humming and crumbling
    snowfields melting
    soil
    building on tiny ledges
    for wild onions and the flowers
    Blue
    Polemonium

    great
    earth
    sangha



    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

  30. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    For those who may be interested

    https://oneearthsangha.org/

    Be Safe, Be Well

    Doshin
    St
    Doshin, would you look around, see if that organization or other Buddhists organizations are something that Treelaf could "officially" join in?

    I would like very much to see Treeleaf of some larger groups pulling together on these issues.

    Would you check out what is available for us to join in, and report to us (much obliged)?

    Gassho, Jundo

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  31. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Doshin, would you look around, see if that organization or other Buddhists organizations are something that Treelaf could "officially" join in?

    I would like very much to see Treeleaf of some larger groups pulling together on these issues.

    Would you check out what is available for us to join in, and report to us (much obliged)?

    Gassho, Jundo

    STLah

    Yes I will.

    Doshin
    St

  32. #132
    https://oneearthsangha.org/join/ecosanghas/

    Jundo,

    There is individual membership which puts folks on email list.

    There is also a group Sangha membership (see link above)

    Doshin
    St

  33. #133
    Member Onka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    rural queensland australia.
    Jundo, could we please have a separate section/archive of Sangha's who have an online presence in this current and probably post-Covid-19 world who align with Treeleaf's engaged Buddhism ethos? Maybe like a "Sister Sangha" kinda thing?
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed.
    Pronouns She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods No Masters.

  34. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    Jundo, could we please have a separate section/archive of Sangha's who have an online presence in this current and probably post-Covid-19 world who align with Treeleaf's engaged Buddhism ethos? Maybe like a "Sister Sangha" kinda thing?
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    Oh, gee, I would say that about every Soto Zen group has some online happenings these days. I would just have to list them all. I don't know enough about the atmosphere at various places, and it is a matter of what resonates. And I would guess that almost every teacher these days is environmentally and socially concerned in one way or another.

    Sorry, this list is mostly weighted to North America, but with some international places listed ...

    http://szba.org/affiliated-temples-centers/

    (Treeleaf is a member, though they insist on listing us only in "Japan" for some reason.)

    Gassho, Jundo

    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-23-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  35. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    Jundo, could we please have a separate section/archive of Sangha's who have an online presence in this current and probably post-Covid-19 world who align with Treeleaf's engaged Buddhism ethos? Maybe like a "Sister Sangha" kinda thing?
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    I subscribe to quite a few newsletters from other Sanghas and I can confirm that all of those I read are currently involved in lots of online activities. And all of them are aligned to engaged Buddhism, which I don't feel is personal to Treeleaf but more an expression of the Bodhisattva path. Lots of good people out there.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  36. #136
    This resonated Today...

    "This we know... the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. All things are connected, like the blood which connects one family. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life - he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."
    - Chief Seattle, 1854

    As long as I have read his quotes some say he did not write them. Whoever did (I will stay with him) captures our connection.

    Doshin
    St

  37. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself


    Heiso
    StLah

  38. #138
    I spent a life driven by hope that my actions would contribute to a healthier and biologically diverse earth.

    As Margaret Mead said “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

    Now many years later my hope survives but has been greatly tested and tattered around the edges, but survives.

    I have applied for the EcoDharma course that Jundo announced and if accepted (and with Jundo’s concurrence) I hope to summarize the sessions on this thread each week (will likely take more than three sentences but I ask for acceptance as I just did to share this plan it I will strive for brevity )

    Doshin
    St

  39. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    ...
    I have applied for the EcoDharma course that Jundo announced and if accepted (and with Jundo’s concurrence) I hope to summarize the sessions on this thread each week (will likely take more than three sentences but I ask for acceptance as I just did to share this plan it I will strive for brevity )

    Doshin
    St
    Of course. No need even to ask.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  40. #140
    Jundo,

    I learned I was accepted into The EcoDharma course today.

    Should I begin a new thread titled EcoDharma or just do a weekly summary in this existing thread?

    Course begins Thursday Sept 10th and continues into December.

    Doshin
    St

    I

  41. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

    I learned I was accepted into The EcoDharma course today.

    Should I begin a new thread titled EcoDharma or just do a weekly summary in this existing thread?

    Course begins Thursday Sept 10th and continues into December.

    Doshin
    St

    I
    Lovely.

    Either way, as you think best. Thank you for being our ambassador there.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  42. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

    I learned I was accepted into The EcoDharma course today.

    Should I begin a new thread titled EcoDharma or just do a weekly summary in this existing thread?

    Course begins Thursday Sept 10th and continues into December.

    Doshin
    St

    I
    That's great news for you, and all of us, and I really look forward to reading your feedback. Thank you Doshin.
    Deep bows to you.
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  43. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

    I learned I was accepted into The EcoDharma course today.

    Should I begin a new thread titled EcoDharma or just do a weekly summary in this existing thread?

    Course begins Thursday Sept 10th and continues into December.

    Doshin
    St

    I
    Great news, Doshin. I look forward to your summary!

    Gassho,

    Heiso

    StLah

  44. #144
    I thought there was something beautiful about this short film. Shades of Cold Mountain:



    Gassho

    Heiso
    StLah

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  45. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    I thought there was something beautiful about this short film. Shades of Cold Mountain:



    Gassho

    Heiso
    StLah

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    So lovely, another world, place, time.
    Thank you Heiso
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  46. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    I spent a life driven by hope that my actions would contribute to a healthier and biologically diverse earth.

    As Margaret Mead said “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

    Now many years later my hope survives but has been greatly tested and tattered around the edges, but survives.

    I have applied for the EcoDharma course that Jundo announced and if accepted (and with Jundo’s concurrence) I hope to summarize the sessions on this thread each week (will likely take more than three sentences but I ask for acceptance as I just did to share this plan it I will strive for brevity )

    Doshin
    St
    Congratulation Doshin,

    Margaret Mead ...So true. In the 90's I joined with a small group (3 of us) to save a very important 200 acres of historical farmland from development. No one thought we'd succeed (including us), but we did!

    Gassho
    Anne

    ~lahst~

  47. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    I thought there was something beautiful about this short film. Shades of Cold Mountain:



    Gassho

    Heiso
    StLah

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Beautiful film, Heiso, thank you.
    And congrats Doshin, looking forward to your reports.

    Bows
    Anne

    ~lahst~

  48. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

    I learned I was accepted into The EcoDharma course today.

    Should I begin a new thread titled EcoDharma or just do a weekly summary in this existing thread?

    Course begins Thursday Sept 10th and continues into December.

    Doshin
    St

    I
    I almost did not recognize you today at Zazenkai with all your hair chopped away. Did you do that to prevent a forest fire up there?

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  49. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I almost did not recognize you today at Zazenkai with all your hair chopped away. Did you do that to prevent a forest fire up there?

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Haha, same, I almost forgot what I was there for!
    Suits you sir.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  50. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I almost did not recognize you today at Zazenkai with all your hair chopped away. Did you do that to prevent a forest fire up there?

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Isolation haircut by my wife (she used to shear sheep) Much easier to care for, can I count it towards Ango?.

    Doshin
    St

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •