Thread: The Fifth Precept in the Age of Facebook and Trump

The Fifth Precept in the Age of Facebook and Trump

Good article on Tricycle related to the topic of Fifth Precept https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/fifth-precept-trump/

SAT/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Thanks for sharing that Kyousui. Personally I find Facebook more irritating that intoxicating.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Really needed this. Thank you. For me, the outrage social media generates is a sure path to heedlessness.

Gassho

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

I deleted Facebook about a year and half ago and tend to use primarily message boards now. I didn't find social media pages like Facebook or Twitter conducive to authentic conversations. People just seem to not respect conversations or honesty in those forums and tend to propagate chaos as entertainment. Just my experience, it wasn't for me.

Gassho

Cj

Sat today, LAH

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Interesting, thank you. The sixth precept is also very important concerning social media.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

The internet is a tool, like a hammer. It can be used constructively to build a house or bridge, or as a weapon of violence.

The internet is like water. In moderation, it quenches thirst and makes a river flow, in excess it floods or drowns.

All things in moderation, and to good use.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi,

The author of the article gets his dopamine kick from writing criticisms. A little hypocritical (just like me).

I don’t like to read but like to look at pictures. Give up Facebook and do Instagram instead!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I have left FB for now as it feels like it causes me nothing but stress. I agree with Jundo Roshi’s comments, but I struggle at this time in my life to hang ten when surfing the net.

I sometimes want to withdrawn entirely from mobile technology and stick with a home PC. Monastic life seems more appealing everyday.

With love and bows to you all,
    Chishou.
    今日は座禅が座りました。

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi,

The author of the article gets his dopamine kick from writing criticisms. A little hypocritical (just like me).

I don’t like to read but like to look at pictures. Give up Facebook and do Instagram instead!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    I love Instagram, it has inspired me in so many ways.
    Social media can be awful but used with discernment and clarity about what you would like get out of it - and give back, because that's important too - it can be a wonderful thing. After 16 years of social media in one form or another, my advice would be to avoid Twitter, stay away from FB groups if possible, don't mistake it for reality, try not to take it all too seriously and don't whatever you do feed those trolls.
    Treeleaf though, that's the real deal.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I like your Instagram, Meitou, and also Jishin's.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you, Kyousui. It is definitely good to be aware of when we are using social media as an intoxicant or in otherwise harmful or even wasteful ways.

As Jundo says, though, it is a tool to be used wisely or not so wisely. I find my best interactions on Facebook come from groups with a specific focus. One such group gives me support and advice on my illness, others have helped me improve my haiku writing and connect me with poets around the world. Even the general Fb feed puts me in touch with what is happening to friends who I might not physically see for a time, and events in different parts of the world.

Of course, like most people I am prone to mindless scrolling through the news feed and that is something to be avoided but, for the moment, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you for sharing this article.

I've been abusing social media for years, and that is one of the causes why I dropped practice.
    I was so engaged in arguing about politics and so thirsty of amusement that I got "drunk" everyday with the news and the arguments.
    I have the extremely bad habit of grabbing my smartphone as soon as I wake up in the morning and going even to the restroom with it.

Maybe I'll have to focus on positive and moderated use of the internet, like reading forums or articles on teachings.

I need to somehow recover all the time I've wasted, but I don't know how long it will be until I catch myself again distracted from what I must do.

(For example, I'm supposed to be working now...)

Gassho, Daiyo

ST/Lah
    Gassho,Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Daiyo View Post
    Thank you for sharing this article.

I've been abusing social media for years, and that is one of the causes why I dropped practice.
    I was so engaged in arguing about politics and so thirsty of amusement that I got "drunk" everyday with the news and the arguments.
    I have the extremely bad habit of grabbing my smartphone as soon as I wake up in the morning and going even to the restroom with it.

Maybe I'll have to focus on positive and moderated use of the internet, like reading forums or articles on teachings.

I need to somehow recover all the time I've wasted, but I don't know how long it will be until I catch myself again distracted from what I must do.

(For example, I'm supposed to be working now...)

Gassho, Daiyo

ST/Lah
    I also have the habit of diving into my phone constantly... driven by the unwillingness to be idle even for a moment, needing to distract my mind from the "stressful" things I really should be thinking about, or more often just from the discomfort of having to wait a few minutes to get something done, such as when a client is late, or I am standing in line. After years of daily practice I still have trouble with this, and I do it sometimes even when I am completely aware of what I am doing. So you are not alone in your practice with this!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

The disconnected connectedness of the internet. It is so easy now to dump the world's pain, suffering, and injustice on our shoulders. Doing this can make us blind to the issues close to home.

At the same time though it allows for communities like this to exist. This forum is a social media that I think we can agree develops more good than bad.

I have to admit USA politics is the best reality tv show at the moment....which is unfortunate.

James F
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    The disconnected connectedness of the internet. It is so easy now to dump the world's pain, suffering, and injustice on our shoulders. Doing this can make us blind to the issues close to home.
    I've caught myself many times ignoring an issue raised by one of my kids because I was submerged in problems occuring many kilometers away.

With all the assorted amusement we have at reach today it's certainly hard to be present.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

ST
    Gassho,Walter