Thread: Someone asked me about Zazen ...

Someone asked me about Zazen ...

Someone asked my opinion on whether Shikantaza Zazen can be sat wrong.

No, it is impossible to sit wrong. This Zazen is beyond all "right and wrong" and the core of sitting is to sit with the mere act of sitting itself being the great Right which holds all worldly right and wrong, goals and stages. Sitting itself is the Act of Acts of simply crossing the legs (or "sitting" as the body allows if not physically able to do that, even on one's back in a hospital bed) which transcends anything more to attain beyond sitting itself. Shikantaza is fulfilled with nothing lacking just by accomplishing the simple act of sitting. Nothing lacks when sitting, there is no other place to better be, nothing else to do, during the time of sitting. So, it is IMPOSSIBLE to sit Zazen wrong. Even on those days when the mind may be a bit cloudy or disturbed, Even on those days when you fall asleep or get hit by a train while sitting Zazen, Zazen is Right from the startless start! .

That being said ...

Zazen can be sat wrong When one sits judging one's sitting or the world as right or wrong, or that something lacks and is not up to par, when one is clinging to goals, measuring stages and hoping for some promised land elsewhere to attain, when one is sitting merely like a bump on a log, twiddling one's thumbs, thinking of some other place to be or thing one wants or would rather do, lost in thought clouds or runaway emotions, rather than vibrantly just sitting for sitting's sake letting thoughts and emotions pass without grabbing on and wallowing in them. Best not to fall asleep, and best to avoid sitting on train tracks!

Yes, Shikantaza is a Koan. .

The "goal" of Shikantaza is to sit Shikantaza free of goals. Sitting Zazen "right" is to sit as the sitting which is Right beyond Right merely by sitting itself, free of all other judgments of right vs. wrong.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is an old post, an expanded riff on this same theme, here ...

Right Zazen and Wrong Zazen
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nd-Wrong-Zazen

PPS - If you ask me, it is particularly our western, capitalist, consumer driven syndrome to always measure things as right or wrong, and to chase after shiny things to attain. Shikantaza is thus excellent medicine for that dis-ease.
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-06-2018 at 02:25 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thankyou Jundo, exactly what I needed to hear, everytime.

Gassho.

SatToday (and again).

LaH.

-Geoff.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Thank you, Jundo. Always a good and timely reminder.
    This medicine keeps me going on..

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat morning sit
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, a lovely reminder. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you Jundo, I can't hear this too often.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you Jundo. This was a timely reminder for me.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you-- saw this on Facebook earlier as well. It took me a few years to get over the idea of what "wrong" zazen is.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Someone also asked how sitting Zazen is different from sitting down, to watch TV or at work?

They are completely different. Sitting at a desk at work, there are projects to do, In watching television, we wish to be entertained or watch the news with judgments about the events of the world. In Zazen, there is no work undone, no projects outstanding, no gap to fill, a certain Good that holds all the good and bad, happiness and sadness, life and death of the world, no doer nor done, no watcher and no watched.

Yet, they are just the same. In Zazen, the whole universe is included. Nothing is left out.

Then, rising from the cushion, all is just the same yet completely different. One heads to work, with projects to do although nothing in need of doing. One laughs and cries, sees the comedy and tragedy, life and death simultaneously knowing the illumination which shines through and as all that.

Thus Zazen is the sitting which is precisely the same, yet totally different, from any other sitting in the world. Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Doshin
    St

Joyo
    Many thanks, Jundo. Always a good reminder.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Thanks you Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you Jundo...

Thank you, Jundo.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.