Thread: Bernie Glassman, 1939 - 2018

Bernie Glassman, 1939 - 2018

I've just seen on the San Fran Zen Center Facebook page that Bernie Glassman has passed away. Trying to find independent confirmation and information.

EDIT: confirmation from Zen Peacemakers

"Instructions to the Cook" was one of the earliest Zen books I read.

Sat today. Gassho.
    Last edited by Ryushi; 11-04-2018 at 06:39 PM.

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

Thank you for the information, Todd.

I am sad to hear of the passing of Bernie and send much metta to his friends, family and sangha members.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Let us continue what he began.

Nine Bows, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Aw. I knew he was having some health issues lately. Thank you for letting us know. I will send Metta to his Sangha and all who knew him.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this Todd, I will sit for Bernie, his family and his Sangha.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Mp
    Thank you Todd ... as Jundo said, "let's continue what he started". May he be at peace ...

Deep bows,
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thanks Todd.
    That’s really sad news, although I knew his health was faltering.
    I found Bernie Glassman’s take on Buddhism and social activism inspirational. His voice is needed now more than ever and so Jundo’s invocation to continue what he started is the best tribute and honour we can give to his work and life.

Deep bows, Bernie, you’ll be missed.

Martyn.

Sat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doshin
    St

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Todd, sad news indeed. Metta to his family and Sangha.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Let us be sad and Joyous for the old clown, all at once. Perhaps no teacher revolutionized Zen Buddhism in the west more than Bernie Roshi.

For one of many things, his street retreats, his attempts to make Sangha into work places for the homeless and others with no place to go ... "Bearing Witness" Sesshin at battlefields and concentration camps. I had the good experience of sitting one Zazen retreat with him years ago.

Many people will have much to say this week about his life. All our sitting and all activities in our Sangha this week is dedicated to Glassman Roshi. Our Lend A Hand project has been always very much inspired by his example.

Some Bernie quotes that show his many sides ...

When we bear witness, when we become the situation - homelessness, poverty, illness, violence, death - the right action arises by itself. We don't have to worry about what to do. We don't have to figure out solutions ahead of time. Peacemaking is the functioning of bearing witness. Once we listen with our entire body and mind, loving action arises.

I always have this red nose in my pocket, and if it looks like I'm taking things too seriously, or the person I'm talking to is taking them too seriously, I put the nose on. It doesn't matter what we're doing or talking about, it doesn't matter if we agree or disagree, the nose changes everything.

The pursuit of enlightenment is for the purpose of the world, not merely for the purpose of the individual. Practices for enlightenment must lead to action in the world.

The basic problem, actually, is how to get rid of the idea that we're going to get rid of our problems. Only then can we relate directly with the real issues of our life.

Each of is an arm of Kannon, enabling Kannon to do her work. Like her, we're also overwhelmed, but when we reallize that the millions of pieces are all operating as one, then there's no problem. The reason we get overwhelmed is that we're attached to a certain result or taht we want to achieve a certain result or that we to achieve a certain goal. If we weren't attached we wouldn't be overwhelmed. It's endless. And we just take one step after the next.

Nine Bows, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-05-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Deep Bows,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

"I always have this red nose in my pocket, and if it looks like I'm taking things too seriously, or the person I'm talking to is taking them too seriously, I put the nose on. It doesn't matter what we're doing or talking about, it doesn't matter if we agree or disagree, the nose changes everything"

What a great idea! From now on, I shall keep a metaphorical red nose in my pocket at all times. Thank you Bernie Glassman.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    Last edited by Meitou; 11-05-2018 at 06:01 AM.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you.
    Deep bows,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Deep bows

Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Lex
    I'm sorry to hear this but grateful for his work.

Gassho

Sat today

Memory eternal,
    A visionary and creative teacher and leader.
    gassho,
    sjl
    sat, lah

I started reading Instructions to the Cook in February last year when my husband bought it for me while away on his bachelor's trip in Portland, Oregon. His writing was so helpful as I went through the final stress, planning and action of our wedding. My memory of his words is tied up with the joyous and often terrified feelings leading up to marriage, and it was a great comfort. I have read it many times since, and watched a lot of YouTube talks with him. He really was such a great teacher. His words are as indispensable as Jundo's and Suzuki's in the way I have shaped my practice.

A big thank you for his spirit. He helped SO many people help themselves. I wish I knew how to do what he could do: Greyston Bakery is a shining example of good work and insight.

Sad to see him go, but happy to know how much good he left.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I read about Glassman Roshi's death last night. I have to admit I felt sad, but at the same time I felt joy because he guided and was there for so many people.

In silence I bow to him and his legacy.

I am wearing my red clown nose for him today.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you for this information.

Deep bows,
    Souchi

SatToday

Hi guys,

Would anyone (Jundo cough cough ) be able to recommend a book by Glassman Roshi?

Thanks,

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hi guys,

Would anyone (Jundo cough cough ) be able to recommend a book by Glassman Roshi?

Thanks,

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday
    I have read Infinite Circle by Bernie Roshi and found it to be lovely. =)

https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Circ.../dp/1590300793

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Eishuu
    I read Infinite Circle last Ango and would also recommend it. He was such an inspiration. Very sad to hear of his death.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Thanks guys!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

Thanks guys!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday
    Well, I have just been inspired to read Infinite Circle, which I did not know.

Gassho, J

STLah

Would anyone... be able to recommend a book by Glassman Roshi?
    Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters

I second this. Had not heard of the other one yet. Maybe I will get it.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Just saw this tweet from Joan Halifax and thought i would pass it along.

At 5:30PM, today, Wednesday, if you cannot join us in Upaya's temple for Roshi Bernie's memorial, please join us online. The service will be livestreamed on Upaya's Facebook page. Roshi Joan and Frank Ostaseski will lead the memorial.

Here is a link to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/upaya/

The time is 5:30 Mountain Time.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    Just saw this tweet from Joan Halifax and thought i would pass it along.

At 5:30PM, today, Wednesday, if you cannot join us in Upaya's temple for Roshi Bernie's memorial, please join us online. The service will be livestreamed on Upaya's Facebook page. Roshi Joan and Frank Ostaseski will lead the memorial.

Here is a link to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/upaya/

The time is 5:30 Mountain Time.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Looks like the Treeleaf style is catching on! Wish I was able to join in. I was working at the time.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Nindo
    It seems to be available as a recording at the link posted.
    Gassho
    Nindo
    s.t.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    It seems to be available as a recording at the link posted.
    Gassho
    Nindo
    s.t.
    Thank you for letting me know, I didn't try!

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

CNN has a beautiful article on Bernie Glassman ...

An American Zen Master has died: An oral history of Roshi Bernie Glassman
    By Daniel Burke, CNN Religion Editor

Glassman, who died November 4 at age 79, was a Brooklyn-born Jew, a recognized Zen master, a Buddhist trailblazer, a restless mensch and a serial plunger.
    Glassman plunged into aeronautical engineering, into Zen, into leading a Buddhist community, into running a bakery, into growing that bakery into a constellation of social services, into holding spiritual retreats among the homeless and at Holocaust-haunted concentration camps, into writing a book of koans with a Hollywood star, into mourning when his second wife died and into learning to walk and talk again two years ago after a stroke.

The plunges, as Glassman called them, served a spiritual purpose: to uproot preconditioned ideas, bear witness to what's going on and serve those most in need. At a time when many American Buddhists preferred self-development to social engagement, Glassman dismissed "mannequin meditation" and carried his Zen practice from clean-aired monasteries to chaotic city streets, where he led weeklong retreats on sidewalks and in crowded parks.

"Bernie was very clear that meditation was not a refuge from life," said Roshi Eve Myonen Marko, Glassman's third wife. "For him, meditation was total engagement."

https://us.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/ber...ter/index.html
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-01-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Lovely, thank you for sharing. He was a master.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Great article! Thank you for sharing

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Mp
    Lovely writeup, thank you for sharing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I was up last night, couldn't sleep, watching YouTube. One video was Jeff Bridges going through all his roles. When it came to The Big Lebowski, he said this:

A friend of mine, Bernie Glassman, who happened to be a Zen master said, 'You realize in many circles The Dude is considered a Zen master.'

I said, 'What are you talking about? We never talked spirituality, Buddhism, or none of that.'

He said, 'Oh, yeah. Who wrote and directed the film? THE KOAN BROTHERS.'

A koan are these zen questions like what's the sound of one hand clapping, these sort of things. He said, 'That movie, The Big Lebowski, is filled with modern day koans.'

I say, 'Really?'

He says, 'Sure. Like, "the Dude abides", that's a very Buddhist kind of thought. Or, 'That's just like your opinion, man'
    Sat today. Gassho.