Thread: Going to a physical zendo

Going to a physical zendo

Hello.

I've come back to practice after an extended period off. Coming back is great and I'm not really sure why I dropped it in the first place.

To supplement my practice I'm also thinking of visiting a physical zendo occasionally. There is one nearby affiliated with the order of Buddhist contemplatives. I was wondering if anyone had experience of visiting a zendo run by them and if their practice is similar to the practice here? Is this a place someone would recommend going to?

Gassho,
    Jakugan
    Lah/sat today

Hi Jakugan,

It is a good thing to go, whenever you can.

My personal experience is limited from my brief visits to my family in the UK, but the major superficial difference you may find is that some of their ritual seeks to combine Soto ways with Christian, and specifically, Anglican music and style. Here is their Heart Sutra, for example, as evensong or a type of Gregorian Chant ...

http://www.shastaabbey.org/audio/musicGreatwisdom.mp3

I think it very pretty. You might find other differences, and a certain religiosity like that. I leave it to others here with more experience than me.

Gassho, jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jakugan

I know that Chishou has been to a fair few OBC centres and even retreats and am sure would be happy to share his experiences.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Hi,

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Don’t fix it till it’s broke. What gets you well keeps you well. Do not change horses in mid stream. Keep the one that got you to the dance.

Why mess up a good thing?

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi jishin.

Thanks for your reply

I still intend to stay at treeleaf and was only intending to visit occasionally as I rarely visit a physical zendo. Do you think that this would be a potential hinderance/confusion to my main practice here?

Gassho

Jakugan

Sat today/lah

Dear Jakugan,

I have practised with the OBC in a local sitting group, a sort of near prior and their monastery U'north. The sitting groups are a nice place to start, they pretty much do just the evening service after sitting for about an hour (30/5/30).

The abbey is a wonderfull place to visit. I would recommend going for their introductory weekend so get a feel for how they work (and also the food is really nice on these weekends). I have been there a far few times, it is well worth the 5/6 hours drive.

As Jundo Roshi has hinted at, the OBC has (IMHO) forced Soto Zen into a very western/chrisitianised flavour I can see the appeal, but it is not to my taste. Singing the Heart Sutra (or scripture of Great Wisdom as they call it), is beautiful as is their other chants, but I personally can't beat the traditional Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo which does make me feel very emotion and transends language.

There are also a few sitting groups in London, Liverpool and Wales. Let me know what area you are in and if I can help.

Deepest bows,
    Chishou (of Cambridge)
    Sat
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakugan View Post
    Hi jishin.

Thanks for your reply

I still intend to stay at treeleaf and was only intending to visit occasionally as I rarely visit a physical zendo. Do you think that this would be a potential hinderance/confusion to my main practice here?

Gassho

Jakugan

Sat today/lah
    What does not kill you makes you stronger. :-)

Try it out if you want. I have a busy mind and like to try lots of things. In the end I find that I could avoided the pain of not sitting still by just having sat still. Life is short. I am 51. I don't have time to mess around and experiment with lots of other things anymore. Been there, done that. If it works then don't break it. This is dukka. Just want to break stuff because things are never just quite right. The other side of the fence is always a little better, a little greener, even when I am on the other side of the fence.

Just my senile thoughts.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Quote Originally Posted by Jakugan View Post
    Hi jishin.

Thanks for your reply

Gassho

Jakugan

Sat today/lah
    I don't think so at all. Give it a try. Just be open to a somewhat different flavor and emphasis in some ways. No way to tell which will suit you better, like trying the chicken soup from two different kitchens.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I don't think so at all. Give it a try. Just be open to a somewhat different flavor and emphasis in some ways. No way to tell which will suit you better, like trying the chicken soup from two different kitchens.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Reverse psychology.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Sitting with others can be motivating. Dont know if motivating is a zen place but it feels good . If their perspective is different than mine, I just sit along.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St

Hi Jakugan

Not sure what country you're based in, but I went to a retreat at their monastery here in the UK, Throssel Hole. They're really sound and I think you will find the approach very compatible with everything here. There's a decency and an earnestness to it. It's unmistakably Soto Zen but with a different flavour to Treeleaf. I found the Anglicised chanting quite beautiful although I'm perhaps more drawn to the Treeleaf forms. I don't have a group near to me, but did once pop along to a small Priory they have in Norwich. The Prior was very kind, helpful and certainly knew her stuff.

Gassho

Sat today
    Last edited by Sean; 10-30-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

There's a zendo in Norwich (UK) where I live so I'll give it some thought.

Gassho,

Jakugan,

Sat today

Hi Jakugen,

Rev. Leoma is lovely, she is the priest in Norwich. She did use to lead Zazenkai in Cambridge.

I now travel to Wales to meet with a teacher there, so I haven’t been to any OBC centre recently.

With a bow,
    Chishou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ask not what the Sangha can do for you, but what you can do for your Sangha.