Hey Guys,

Did I mention that Norman Fischer said he will be coming here to Treeleaf to offer a Zazenkai? We need to set a date at this busy time of year, maybe about the time we get toward the end of this book.

For today. room to see things various ways here and there.

Is Zen a religion? A philosophy? A school of psychology? A lifestyle?

I believe that a little study, right from the start, helps give Zazen and all our Practice some direction and shape. Otherwise things may be a bit too aimless and formless. In the old days, most of the ancestors read the books before they burned them. Dogen, for example, was an extremely well studied man. Of course, we don't want to merely be armchair Buddhists or prisoners of words.

I am not sure about Norman's explanation that the Chinese language is the reason that Zen became Zenny. That was certainly part, but also were Taoist and other existing Chinese cultural and philosophical influences which blended into the Chinese encounter with Indian Buddhism.

Finally, I think that Zen Buddhism is very logical, although not only our ordinary, day to day logic. After all, you may see a mountain in the distance, and it is not you. However, you are the mountain, the mountain is in your mind as your thoughts assign color and name and poetic meaning. The mountains flows into you as you flow into the mountain etc. etc.

Enjoy.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH