Thread: WHAT IS ZEN? - Chap 7 - Teachings

WHAT IS ZEN? - Chap 7 - Teachings

Hey Guys,

Did I mention that Norman Fischer said he will be coming here to Treeleaf to offer a Zazenkai? We need to set a date at this busy time of year, maybe about the time we get toward the end of this book.

For today. room to see things various ways here and there.

Is Zen a religion? A philosophy? A school of psychology? A lifestyle?

I believe that a little study, right from the start, helps give Zazen and all our Practice some direction and shape. Otherwise things may be a bit too aimless and formless. In the old days, most of the ancestors read the books before they burned them. Dogen, for example, was an extremely well studied man. Of course, we don't want to merely be armchair Buddhists or prisoners of words.

I am not sure about Norman's explanation that the Chinese language is the reason that Zen became Zenny. That was certainly part, but also were Taoist and other existing Chinese cultural and philosophical influences which blended into the Chinese encounter with Indian Buddhism.

Finally, I think that Zen Buddhism is very logical, although not only our ordinary, day to day logic. After all, you may see a mountain in the distance, and it is not you. However, you are the mountain, the mountain is in your mind as your thoughts assign color and name and poetic meaning. The mountains flows into you as you flow into the mountain etc. etc.

Enjoy.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    After all, you may see a mountain in the distance, and it is not you. However, you are the mountain, the mountain is in your mind as your thoughts assign color and name and poetic meaning. The mountains flows into you as you flow into the mountain etc. etc.

Enjoy.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I believe that a little study, right from the start, helps give Zazen and all our Practice some direction and shape. Otherwise things may be a bit too aimless and formless.

Did I mention that Norman Fischer said he will be coming here to Treeleaf to offer a Zazenkai? We need to set a date at this busy time of year, maybe about the time we get toward the end of this book.
    Thank you, Jundo.
    I do enjoy reading the book and looking forward to the Zazenkai with Norman Fischer.

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... and thank you for bringing Norman Fischer to Treeleaf. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I'm very happy that he is coming! Almost done reading through the book for a second time.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you, Jundo, for leading this discussion and for bringing Norman Fischer in for a zazenakai.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Thank you, Jundo for making this possible; looking forward to having Norman Fisher here.

I think, we human beings have different ways of learning and experiencing.
    The emotional way of understanding things through sitting and ritual
    and the intellectual, rational way, that is triggered by engaging with the teachings.
    One without the other feels somehow incomplete to me.

Regarding your question about 'Is Zen a religion? A philosophy? A school of psychology? A lifestyle?'...
    For me, it is all of that. It depends on what aspect I am looking at.
    My personal, fussy definition of a religion has to do with how much of this thing is about directly experiencing it in my day to day life (philosophy/psychology/lifestyle) and how much is in the realm of 'believing' (religion).
    Where do I come from? Where will I go after death? Is there a death? Is there an independent existence?
    I welcome, that there are no hard borders in Zen. There are no hard borders inside myself, too.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hello, everyone,

I've been following along with the sangha if quiet. But I feel I need to jump in now and again if for no other reason than to let everyone know I'm not dead! Lol.

Of course, if I HAVE died and someone is now reading this than am I really dead? Of course, I'd be dead in the practical sense but not for the person reading THIS because my words would be appearing in their mind.

So even though I was dead I would still be "appearing in the world" in the form of a thought. While this isn't "logical" in the ordinary sense it's still perfectly logical. Zen practice includes thoroughly investigating THIS.

Gassho,
    Hōkō
    #SatToday
    LAH

PS I am very much looking forward to seeing Norman Fischer attend a Treeleaf Zazenkai and thank you, Jundo, for working to bring him.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Hoko View Post
    Hello, everyone,

I've been following along with the sangha if quiet. But I feel I need to jump in now and again if for no other reason than to let everyone know I'm not dead! Lol.

Of course, if I HAVE died and someone is now reading this than am I really dead? Of course, I'd be dead in the practical sense but not for the person reading THIS because my words would be appearing in their mind.

So even though I was dead I would still be "appearing in the world" in the form of a thought. While this isn't "logical" in the ordinary sense it's still perfectly logical. Zen practice includes thoroughly investigating THIS.

Gassho,
    Hōkō
    #SatToday
    LAH

PS I am very much looking forward to seeing Norman Fischer attend a Treeleaf Zazenkai and thank you, Jundo, for working to bring him.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    LOL Hoko! I know you are not dead because I sit with what looks like you on Insight Timer sometimes. Although it could be an impostor.

But yes, there are some who have left this visible world whose voices are still present here at Treeleaf, and all the Buddhas and Ancestors. It is a joy and a comfort to have them with us, and very logical IMHO.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    No real comments to add for this chapter but I found it very informative and easy to digest. Very helpful.
    Thank you.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart