Thread: Week Days Zazen with Shingen

Mp

Week Days Zazen with Shingen

Hey folks,

I just want to let you all know that to access my daily sits throughout the week will be via the Scheduled Sitting Room on Treeleaf's NOW page. I will be keeping an eye out, but please note from tonight onward.

Here is the link to the Treeleaf NOW Page: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?...d-sitting-room

If you are looking to see if it falls within your time zone, then check that out here: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/#calendar

Hope to see you there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Yes, Google+ is no more!

Let us remember and offer a dedication for all the fine service it provided our Sangha for so many years.

Perhaps it is soon time to offer another small memorial service for all the hardware, peripherals, software, platforms, versions and the like that has supported this place for so long, and are now no longer with us. We did that a few years ago.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, Google+ is no more!

Let us remember and offer a dedication for all the fine service it provided our Sangha for so many years.

Perhaps it is soon time to offer another small memorial service for all the hardware, peripherals, software, platforms, versions and the like that has supported this place for so long, and are now no longer with us. We did that a few years ago.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Oh yes so true ... Google+ plus has been a wonderful and valuable part of us coming together to practice, I am very much grateful for that.

Deep bows to our Google+ and many thanks. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Just took a look at the calandar. Far more Zazen sits than expected. I was thinking I'd need to wait until I take a Monday to Friday job in a few months to take part in the weekend Zazenkais. Looks like there are several group sits I can fit around my current schedule here in Beijing.

Great news!

I'm not so familiar with this video technology. Do I need to download any software to join a sit, or can it be done through my browser?

Gassho,

Sat Today,

Chris

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMa View Post
    Just took a look at the calandar. Far more Zazen sits than expected. I was thinking I'd need to wait until I take a Monday to Friday job in a few months to take part in the weekend Zazenkais. Looks like there are several group sits I can fit around my current schedule here in Beijing.

Great news!

I'm not so familiar with this video technology. Do I need to download any software to join a sit, or can it be done through my browser?

Gassho,

Sat Today,

Chris
    Hey Chris,

Excellent, will be great to have you come sit with us. =)

Nope, you don't need anything special ... it uses Google Hangouts, so just follow the links and you are good to go. Let me know if you do run into anything and we can sort it out.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thanks. I'm be using a Macbook computer and Google Chrome browser, if that makes any difference. It's late now and I'm typing on my phone but I'll test it out tomorrow to see if I can access it.

Gassho,

SatToday,

Chris

Mp
    Thanks. I'm be using a Macbook computer and Google Chrome browser, if that makes any difference. It's late now and I'm typing on my phone but I'll test it out tomorrow to see if I can access it.

Gassho,

SatToday,

Chris
    That is what I use .... so you will be good to go. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Great news!

Gassho,

Sat Today,

Chris
    If you are in the PRC, be prepared that they sometimes censor youtube. It may or not be an issue.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    If you are in the PRC, be prepared that they sometimes censor youtube. It may or not be an issue.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Oh yes, good point ... China and Google are not the best of friends.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

The Great Firewall isn't too much of an issue as I have a good and reliable VPN. I tried the Hangouts link through Chrome and I just get a blank, black page. I tried on Safari browser too but apparently I need to update the browser to use Hangouts. Chrome was installed very recently so it should be okay.

Anyway, I'll keep tinkering with it and figure it out.

Gassho,

Will be sitting very soon,

Chris

Still working on the browser issues. I'll be sitting with you now (minus the tech) and hopefully I'll get the Hangouts stuff sorted within a day or two.

Will be sitting in a moment,

I hope everyone has a great day, whatever time zone you may be in, and wherever you are at!

Gassho,

Will put the laptop away and sit now,

Chris

Mp
    The Great Firewall isn't too much of an issue as I have a good and reliable VPN. I tried the Hangouts link through Chrome and I just get a blank, black page. I tried on Safari browser too but apparently I need to update the browser to use Hangouts. Chrome was installed very recently so it should be okay.

Anyway, I'll keep tinkering with it and figure it out.

Gassho,

Will be sitting very soon,

Chris
    Hey Chris,

You may need to download the plugin, which you can do here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangoutplugin

Also, you might have to give access to your camera and mic, which you can do here ...

To allow Google Hangouts and/or Google Talk to use the camera and/or microphone:
    1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Select Chrome-->Preferences.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the window and select Show Advanced Settings...
    4. In the Privacy section, click on the Content Settings...button.
    5. To enable the Microphone: Scroll down to the Microphone section and select the radio button next to
    Ask when a site requires access to your microphone (recommended).*
    6. To enable the Camera: Scroll down to the Camera section and select the radio button next to Ask
    when a site requires access to your camera (recommended).*
    7. Close the Chrome Preferences tab. When a website or app needs access to the camera or
    microphone, a pop up message will appear to choose to allow or deny access to the resource.
    * For some versions of Chrome, the section may be named Media. The radio buttons in the Media section to
    enable the microphone and/or camera will be the same as described above.

Let me know how you get along. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Chris,

You may need to download the plugin, which you can do here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangoutplugin

Also, you might have to give access to your camera and mic, which you can do here ...

To allow Google Hangouts and/or Google Talk to use the camera and/or microphone:
    1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Select Chrome-->Preferences.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the window and select Show Advanced Settings...
    4. In the Privacy section, click on the Content Settings...button.
    5. To enable the Microphone: Scroll down to the Microphone section and select the radio button next to
    Ask when a site requires access to your microphone (recommended).*
    6. To enable the Camera: Scroll down to the Camera section and select the radio button next to Ask
    when a site requires access to your camera (recommended).*
    7. Close the Chrome Preferences tab. When a website or app needs access to the camera or
    microphone, a pop up message will appear to choose to allow or deny access to the resource.
    * For some versions of Chrome, the section may be named Media. The radio buttons in the Media section to
    enable the microphone and/or camera will be the same as described above.

Let me know how you get along. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    I installed the plugin and allowed mic and camera access. Still getting the same black screen.

I tried to access the Google Hangouts website and I could get into it fine with my gmail account. I haven't used it to make a video call but the main page loaded perfectly well. For some reason the link at the top of this thread just doesn't want to open in my browser.

I'll try some other browsers and see what happens.

Gassho,

Sat Today/LAH,

Chris

Mp
    I installed the plugin and allowed mic and camera access. Still getting the same black screen.

I tried to access the Google Hangouts website and I could get into it fine with my gmail account. I haven't used it to make a video call but the main page loaded perfectly well. For some reason the link at the top of this thread just doesn't want to open in my browser.

I'll try some other browsers and see what happens.

Gassho,

Sat Today/LAH,

Chris
    Give it a go Chris and if we need, we can do a test run together to get it sorted out. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thanks for your help. I'll try to figure it out in the next couple of days and get back to you.

Much appreciated,

Gassho,

Sat Today,

Chris

Mp
    Thanks for your help. I'll try to figure it out in the next couple of days and get back to you.

Much appreciated,

Gassho,

Sat Today,

Chris
    Excellent.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

We should go with Zoom!

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    We should go with Zoom!
    Zoom?

Is that like Zoom to the moon? =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Zoom?

Is that like Zoom to the moon? =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH
    Haha, I think he means: https://zoom.us
    This one is slightly more like SkypeVideo/GotoMeeting than Jackie Gleason.
    It's fairly popular in Europe, as far as I know.

Gassho,
    Chris

Sat/LAH

Joyo
    I'm be there as much as I can, Shingen. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Archpoet View Post
    Haha, I think he means: https://zoom.us
    This one is slightly more like SkypeVideo/GotoMeeting than Jackie Gleason.
    It's fairly popular in Europe, as far as I know.

Gassho,
    Chris

Sat/LAH
    We use it at work. It is actually really good software. It have been very reliable for us with good video quality.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

We should go with Zoom!
    We used Zoom in my previous Sangha, it was excellent. As I recall, for something like zazenkai there was no limit on how many could attend, but I believe the host pays a small monthly charge?
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Finally figured out a way to join the Zazen hangout.

Looking forward to joining you all soon.

Gassho,

Sat Today,

Chris

Saturday 8pm Scheduled Sit

Going to sesshin at Nebraska Zen Center this weekend so I won't be able to make the normal sitting.
    SAT/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Mp
    Going to sesshin at Nebraska Zen Center this weekend so I won't be able to make the normal sitting.
    SAT/LAH
    Sounds good .. have a great time! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH