Thread: October 5th-6th, 2018 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI!

October 5th-6th, 2018 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI!

Today's Talk will honor portions of Master Dogen's "Instructions for the Cook," a celebration of 'Samu' Work Practice and all our duties in life (text below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/octob...leaf-zazenkai/

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-07-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today's Talk will reflect on portions of the 'Tenzo Kyokun' (典座教訓) or "Instructions for the Cook," Master Dogen's celebration of work (作務) and all our responsibilities in life, as we continue our Jukai and Ango Season for this year.

(I will be using primarily the translations by Anzan Hoshin Roshi and Yasuda Joshu Dainen Roshi
    https://wwzc.org/dharma-text/tenzo-k...ructions-tenzo
    or Prof. Griffith Foulk
    https://terebess.hu/zen/dogen/Tenzo1.html)

---

Since ancient times this office has been held by realized monks who have the mind of the Way or by senior disciples who have roused the Way-seeking mind. This work requires exerting the Way. Those entrusted with this work but who lack the Way-seeking mind will only cause and endure hardship despite all their efforts. The Zen Monastic Standards states, "Putting the mind of the Way to work, serve carefully varied meals appropriate to each occasion and thus allow everyone to practice without hindrance."

The cycle of one day and night begins following the noon meal. At this time the tenzo should go to the administrator and assistant administrator and procure the rice, vegetables, and other ingredients for the next day's morning and noon meals. Having received these things, you must care for them as you would the pupils of your own eyes. Thus Zen Master Baoning Renyong said, "Care for the monastery's materials as if they were your eyes." The tenzo handles all food with respect, as if it were for the emperor; both cooked and uncooked food should be cared for in this way.

Do not just leave washing the rice or preparing the vegetables to others but use your own hands, your own eyes, your own sincerity. Do not fragment your attention but see what each moment calls for; if you take care of just one thing then you will be careless of the other. Do not miss the opportunity of offering even a single drop into the ocean of merit or a grain atop the mountain of the roots of beneficial activity.

Be careful of sand when you wash the rice, be careful of the rice when you throw out the sand. ...

Xuefeng once practiced as tenzo under Zen Master Dongshan [in the 9th Century]. Once when he was washing rice, Dongshan said, "Do you wash the sand away from the rice, or the rice away from the sand?"

Xuefeng said, "I wash them both away together."

Dongshan said, "Then what will the community eat?"

Xuefeng overturned the washing bowl.

Dongshan said, "You should go and study with someone else. Soon."

Keep the white water with which you have washed the rice; do not wastefully discard it. In ancient times they used a cloth bag to strain the white water and used it to boil the rice when making gruel.

After cooking the vegetables for the morning meal and before preparing rice and soup for the noon meal bring together the rice pots and other utensils and make sure that everything is well-ordered and clean. Put whatever goes to a high place in a high place and whatever goes to a low place in a low place so that, high and low, everything settles in the place appropriate for it. Chopsticks for vegetables, ladles, and all other tools should be chosen with great care, cleaned thoroughly, and placed well.

When preparing the vegetables or ingredients for the soup which have been received from the [wares] office do not disparage the quantity or quality but instead handle everything with great care. Do not despair or complain about the quantity of the materials. Throughout the day and night, practice the coming and going of things as arising in the mind, the mind turning and displaying itself as things.

The tenzo should always be present at the sink when the rice is being soaked and the water measured. Watching with clear eyes, ensure that not a single grain is wasted. Washing it well, place it in the pots, make a fire, and boil it. An old teacher said, "Regard the cooking pot as your own head, the water your own life-blood."

In preparing food never view it from the perspective of usual mind or on the basis of feeling-tones. Taking up a blade of grass erect magnificent monasteries, turn the Wheel of Reality within a grain of dust. If you only have wild grasses with which to make a broth, do not disdain them. If you have ingredients for a creamy soup do not be delighted. Where there is no attachment, there can be no aversion. Do not be careless with poor ingredients and do not depend on fine ingredients to do your work for you but work with everything with the same sincerity. If you do not do so then it is like changing your behaviour according to the status of the person you meet; this is not how a student of the Way is.

That you still do not grasp the certainty of this principle is because your thinking scatters, like wild horses, and your emotions run wild, like monkeys in a forest. If you can make those monkeys and horses, just once, take the backward step that turns the light and shines it inward, then naturally you will be completely integrated. This is the means by which we, who are [ordinarily] set into motion by things, become able to set things into motion.

Harmonizing and purifying yourself in this manner, do not lose either the one eye [of transcendent wisdom] or the two eyes [of discriminating consciousness]. Lifting a single piece of vegetable, make [yourself into] a six-foot body [i.e. a buddha] and ask that six-foot body to prepare a single piece of vegetable.

When I was staying at Tiantong-jingde-si [temple], a monk named Lu from Qingyuan fu held the post of tenzo. Once, following the noon meal I was walking along the eastern covered walkway ... when I came upon him in front of the Buddha Hall drying mushrooms in the sun. He had a bamboo stick in his hand and no hat covering his head. The heat of the sun was blazing on the paving stones. It looked very painful; his back was bent like a bow and his eyebrows were as white as the feathers of a crane. I went up to the tenzo and asked, "How long have you been a monk?"

"Sixty-eight years," he said.

"Why don't you have an assistant do this for you?"

"Other people are not me."

"Venerable sir, I can see how you follow the Way through your work. But still, why do this now when the sun is so hot?"

"If not now, when?"

There was nothing else to say

(to be continued)
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-05-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way with instruments ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    On Demand as usual but we have friends over from England for a long weekend, arriving tomorrow, so unlikely to sit until later next week.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I'll be bending space-time to join on Monday.
    Gassho
    Nick
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'll be there, not one way, not two way.
    Shinzan
    stlah

Thank you, Jundo and Shingen and everyone. I plan to join, tech allowing.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Will try to join tonight, but may have to cut off midway through as it will be 2 here.

Hopefully not though.

Gassho

Neilio

Sat Today/ LAH

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event link for today's monthly zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_GB&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Joining late one-way.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l

Enjoyed talk. Things seem to move around my kitchen (and house) too. I think I am getting better at going with the flow.

Doshin
    stlah

Thank you everyone, yes wonderful talk! We all tend to rush through our lives and past the things we share our space with every day, including our food. Thankful for it all.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, everyone. Alas, mr. video camera had only one grain of bandwidth this time. May he be at ease in all his ills.
    Have a restful weekend.

Shinzan
    _/\_

Thank you, everyone. A wonderful talk, lesson on high things in high places and low things on low places. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone, lovely sit and talk Jundo. =)

Have a great weekend everyone.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Jundo's talk is now available as a podcast episode: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/octob...leaf-zazenkai/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Thank you Sekishi. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi Jundo,

Thanks for all, especially for the Dharma Talk. It was just in time to remind me that, at a very stressful phase in my work life, THIS IS my life. It is as it is. Thankfully, I also have an amazing Ango partner in Kotei who keeps me on track.

Gassho
    Christian

Satlah

Have sat zazenkai now and I really enjoyed it.

The dharma talk was a real doozy. All thorugh my zen practice days I seem to have been surrounded with teachers who obsess around the cooking process and its realtionship to the zen life and as such it is one of my anchors to zen practice as a whole. It's great to be reminded that this is, has been and probably always will be a favoured analogy.

It's just nice to here it out loud evrey now and again.

Many thanks Jundo,

Gassho,

Neilio

Sat/ LAH

Thank you everyone!
    Thank you Christian, I enjoy angoing together.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all!
    Thank you for the talk, Jundo

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Wonderful talk, Jundo. Thank you for your thoughts as well, Kyonin.

It was good to finally join in the monthly zazenkai.

Maitri

St
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Thank you Jundo and everyone, lovely talk and a most excellent hokey cokey.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    ... a most excellent hokey cokey.
    Hokey Cokey is the Pali pronunciation. In Sanskrit, we say "Hokey Pokey."

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hokey Cokey is the Pali pronunciation. In Sanskrit, we say "Hokey Pokey."

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you Jundo, I stand corrected
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Finally caught up and finished this morning. Wonderful Dharma talk, thank you Jundo.

As I am always self conscious (yes I need to lose that self) even with just me and our dog Sophie alone in our study/zendo, I'm too embarrassed to join in the Hokey Cokey (Pali speaking Brit natrually). Strange that I found myself drawn into the Chant style yesterday morning and let myself go, if just a bit. Be interesting to see what happens next month, might even join the Pokey Freestyle club

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, all.

I do love the Tenzo Kyōkun.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you Jundo
    Thank you all
    Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou