Thread: [Engaged] LAH, Jobs & Callings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[Engaged] LAH, Jobs & Callings

Hi Workers of the World!

I have never been one to feel that "Lend A Hand" or other charitable and caring actions only have meaning if the doer doesn't "get something" out of it, some pleasure, satisfaction or sense of self worth in the giving. Why not? It should not be the primary or exclusive motive for being a "do gooder," but one can also partake in some positive sense or feeling for having done some good. I do not feel that it cheapens things or lessens the value, and it can be a great energizer for further action.

I think this even includes feeling good in our jobs, and reaping some benefits there. Why not? Would that not inspire us to do even more good?

This came to mind when I heard the following podcast today from the American public radio, on turning one's job (sometimes even a tedious or unpleasant job) into a "calling" that inspires one, gives satisfaction and pleasure. I'll be darned if a lot of the actions and attitudes recommended by the expert interviewed don't sound a lot like "LAH-ish" acts and attitudes. Oh, it won't turn a lot of truly bad jobs into dream careers, and it won't excuse a "mafia hit man" or dangerous drug pusher from the negatives of that, but it can be something to help many of us ... and make the world a bit more pleasant too.

Give a listen if the topic is of interest ...

Why do you work? Popular wisdom says your answer depends on what your job is. But psychologist Amy Wrzesniewski at Yale University finds it may have more to do with how we think about our work.

Across a diverse array of jobs — from secretaries to custodians to computer programmers — Wrzesniewski finds people are about equally split in whether they say they have a "job," a "career," or a "calling." This week on Hidden Brain, Shankar Vedantam talks with Wrzesniewski about how we find meaning and purpose at work.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/07/30/63404...2-0-dream-jobs

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE