Thread: My daughter and fiance's car accident and Ango: One in the same

My daughter and fiance's car accident and Ango: One in the same

This last Monday, my daughter and fiance were involved in a roll over car accident. While at work I got the call from the crash scene and raced to them. Obviously panic and fear were flooding my mind. I have never pushed my car to the speed I had to in order to get there 25 miles away.

My 4 year old was terrified, but miraculously came out with nothing more than scrapes and bruises. My fiance got a 15cm deep laceration on the back of her head and suffered a concussion.

While in the trauma ward with her overnight, amidst my Ango, I found myself having to reassure her over and over:
    None of our possessions in that car matter
    None of our human, man-made problems bothering our daily life matter
    None of our thoughts of whose to blame or how we could have prevented this matter

It was absolute chaos that brought us here. It is love and gentle, healing care that will get us out. 2 sides, the same universal coin.

I apologize if this was the wrong section of forum to post this to, but I felt others may learn something from one of my life's worst experiences.

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH

P.S. My fiance was able to come home Tuesday evening. Over 20 stitches and many (ongoing) nauseating headaches later, she's recovering at home while I double duty as Mr. Mom

Yes. A very good accident in the end.

It seems your Ango is already blossoming.

We will all sit Zazen this Ango, and offer Metta, for your daughter and fiance and all facing accidents with harder outcomes.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    This last Monday, my daughter and fiance were involved in a roll over car accident. While at work I got the call from the crash scene and raced to them. Obviously panic and fear were flooding my mind. I have never pushed my car to the speed I had to in order to get there 25 miles away.

My 4 year old was terrified, but miraculously came out with nothing more than scrapes and bruises. My fiance got a 15cm deep laceration on the back of her head and suffered a concussion.

While in the trauma ward with her overnight, amidst my Ango, I found myself having to reassure her over and over:
    None of our thoughts of whose to blame or how we could have prevented this matter

It was absolute chaos that brought us here. It is love and gentle, healing care that will get us out. 2 sides, the same universal coin.

I apologize if this was the wrong section of forum to post this to, but I felt others may learn something from one of my life's worst experiences.

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH

P.S. My fiance was able to come home Tuesday evening. Over 20 stitches and many (ongoing) nauseating headaches later, she's recovering at home while I double duty as Mr. Mom
    I'm so glad that your practice is supporting you right now. Wishing your partner and daughter a speedy and complete recovery.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Metta to your loved ones.
    As a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, I support children and parents who have experienced single-event trauma. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat LAH
    援若

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Alexander

Sending much metta, glad this has not been as serious as it could have been. Thoughts with you and your family.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Eishuu
    I'm so glad that they are okay. I'm glad Enjaku has offered some support regarding trauma. Much metta to you all.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Metta to you and your dear ones. I'm glad they're recovering from the accident.
    May they be well soonest

Gassho
    Washin
    sat-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Alexander,

I'm thinking of you and your family and sending much Metta. May you all recover in good time and be sure to get some rest.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday/lah

Wow. Close call

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Metta to you and your family. I was in a car accident 12 years ago with my wife and then 3 year old son. I know the trauma involved. Take care and give yourselves time to recover both physically and mentally

Tairin
    Sat today
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

she's recovering at home while I double duty as Mr. Mom
    Ango clearly has plans for you to be the hands of Kannon!

More seriously, I am glad that your daughter is okay and fiancée escaped with a relatively minor injury.

Such events really do make us appreciate what is important in life.

Deep bows and much metta
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Doshin
    St

Sending Metta to you and your loved ones. Keep us posted about the situation.

Gassho

Roland

Sat/LAH

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mp
    Much metta to you your family Alexander. Ango and practice comes in many forms ... may you all be at peace.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Meta to you and your family.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

What a wonderful gatha. So glad you'r family's OK. May your mate's recovery be fast and complete.

Deep peace to all trauma victims and their families.
    Deep peace to all rescuers and their families.
    Deep peace to all, rescuers and rescued alike, who still feel the physical and emotional sequelae of trauma.
    Emmet; FF/NREMT-P

Sat today. LAH
    Last edited by Emmet; 09-06-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Emmet

By the way (having been in a couple of serious accidents myself many years ago, fortunately without injury), there can be emotional effects that pop up days after ... even for you, who was not in the accident itself. Let the effects be the effects. Remember that Zen is not to turn us into emotional robots, and it is okay to be a bit sad or scared or shook up sometimes. That is how the brain is wired. Don't feel bad about sometimes feeling bad.

Talk to a counselor if you all need too.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. I will post an update here soon.

Jundo, thank you for your advice. Going through this moment by moment, I'm doing my best to see my sadness and pain through one eye, and the open arms of the universe in the other. We are all a miracle.

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH

Wow Alexander, sooo glad they are ok. Embracing the chaos and the love, sounds like Ango. Sending lots of metta for all involved!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Metta to you and your family Alexander,

Jinyo

ST

Metta to you all Alexander. Many thoughts and emotions go though our mind at a time like that. Glad it was not as bad as could have.

Gassho

MyoHo

ST
    Mu

Metta to you and your family Alexander. Your words to you daughter in the hospital resound with wisdom and compassion. I will try to remember them.

Hoping that everyone involved heals in timely fashion.

Gassho--
    Deborah

Sattoday

Alexander,
    The crash and your loved ones encountered a storm of life. You, my friend, kept calm in the eye of the storm. That is what we do, and you handled it as a true bodhisattva.

Meta for your family, and peace and kudos to you my friend...you're doing it right

Gassho
    Frank
    Satoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dear Alexander,

Thank you for this wise teaching. Deep bows, and much love and Metta to you and your family. Be gentle with yourselves in the coming days!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Glad to hear that your family is OK, at least physically. Much metta to all involved.

Gassho,
    Souchi

SatToday

Update:
    Everyone is recovering wonderfully. The little one has remarkably transitioned into her first 4 days of Kindergarden. My fiance is healing well. Stitches get looked at Friday.

Deep bows to all of you. I've shared your kind words with my family as I received them. It helped keep her spirits up knowing all of you, from around the world, were thinking of us. Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH

Good to hear, Alexander

Anant
    SaT

So glad to hear this, Alexander. Thanks for the update!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Thank you for the good news!
    Gassho,
    Kotei just sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Sending Metta to you and your family Alexander.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

Mp
    Update:
    Everyone is recovering wonderfully. The little one has remarkably transitioned into her first 4 days of Kindergarden. My fiance is healing well. Stitches get looked at Friday.

Deep bows to all of you. I've shared your kind words with my family as I received them. It helped keep her spirits up knowing all of you, from around the world, were thinking of us. Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH
    Glad everything worked out Alexander. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Doshin
    St

Joyo
    Update:

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH
    I am very happy that everyone has made a recovery, Alexander. That is such great news!!

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Great news.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Wonderful news, huzzah!

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Update:

Gassho,
    Alexander
    ST/LAH
    Hooray for good news!
    Gassho
    Nick
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickbo View Post
    Hooray for good news!
    Gassho
    Nick
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    As long as we don't forget to "Hooray" for bad new too. Maybe not quite the same "Hooray" ... maybe a "Hooray" even as tears come down our cheeks, maybe "Hooray" as we are moaning and groaning in the sick bed ... but "Hooray" nonetheless, for life itself. Zen folks are strange birds. We welcome all of it.

There is an old Zen saying … NICHI NICHI KORE KONICHI (日々是好日), Everyday is a good day, said by Yunmen, Kodo Sawaki and others. They were referring to something much much more than just some naive optimism ...

NICHI NICHI KORE KONICHI

Every Day Is A Good Day

Some old preaching ...

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: gratitude & Great Gratitude

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...reat-Gratitude

... there is a greater, transcendent, boundless Gratitude in the Buddha's Teachings that does not even need the subtle "see the bright side" "find the positive to counter the negative" or "personal pay-off of what's ultimately nice for 'me'" in the above sense of ordinary gratitude. Rather, there's an even Greater "Non-Pay-off" than that! A Jewel so precious, it shines as both earthly jewels and life's thrown bricks and stones in our shoe.

Ordinary human gratitude is what we are encouraged to feel in the above exercise, and it is fine. In fact, it is wise, healthy and important. Yet there is a "Buddha's Gratitude" which is not dependent on what we "like" that momentarily pleases the selfish-self, that is not based simply on "looking out for the good side" or experiencing the "gorgeous" day. This Emptiness that is all Fullness -is- both the glass "half full" and "half empty!"

A Buddha's Gratitude is Vast and Unlimited ... a Gratitude both for that which we love and that which we may not ...
    Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you Jundo.
    Always a welcome reminder..can't have flowers without the rain

Gassho
    Frank
    Satoday

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    As long as we don't forget to "Hooray" for bad new too. Maybe not quite the same "Hooray" ... maybe a "Hooray" even as tears come down our cheeks, maybe "Hooray" as we are moaning and groaning in the sick bed ... but "Hooray" nonetheless, for life itself. Zen folks are strange birds. We welcome all of it.
    Thank you for this reminder, Jundo.

Bad news are part of life too and we stand open to them as well.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍