Thread: Introducing Anne Cooper, Treeleaf 'Artist in Residence' and Art Circle Guide

Introducing Anne Cooper, Treeleaf 'Artist in Residence' and Art Circle Guide

Dear All,

I would like to introduce to those who don't know her Anne Cooper (she also goes by the name 'Cooperix' at Treeleaf) as an 'Artist in Residence' and guide for our Treeleaf Art Circle. She will be helping Richard Herman, our other 'A in R' and guide for the circle (Richard is very busy preparing for some upcoming shows and publications, so could use some help too).

Let me tell you a bit more about Anne and show you some of her work ... Please check out her website, you will find some examples of her creations, past and present, there. ...

http://annecooperstudio.com/

I study beauty in the microcosm of our world, thus celebrating the mundane.

Clay brought me into the world of object making over 45 years ago. For the first 10 years I was a production potter in Houston, and when I found that to be too restrictive I enrolled in the MFA program at the University of Houston, received my degree in 1984 in ceramics and sculpture.

After receiving my degree, I moved to New Mexico where I currently live. Opening doors never imagined over the next 10 years, I learned skills in woodworking, metalsmithing, casting, welding, paper making, beeswax, to name a few. By the 90s I was working in multiple forms, using either 9 (ix) or 14 (xiv) repeated shapes in each piece.

An effort to save a piece of property from development to preserve it as open space led me in a new direction. I began working in installation format using growing grasses, images of seeds, and grasses.

My current work is a complete departure from my past artistic endeavors.
    One project in recent recent years was her Rakusu project ...

Her installation first created a bit of a stir among some Zen Teachers in America who did not understand what she was doing, and thought she was just making paper Rakusus, not knowing that it was an art project! She described it this way ...

Feel of the Needle: The Rakusu Project
    The Rakusu Project was inspired by the traditional Buddhist Rakusu, a cloth garment hand-sewn by Zen students prior to their Jukai ceremony. The objects I make are fashioned from paper, hand sewn, and each illustrated with one of Santoka Taneda's haiku (mendicant monk, Japan, 1882 - 1940). I made the facsimile rakasus as part of an ongoing performance installation.

The installation ceremony consists of several performers. Lynda Miller lifts each rakusu from its resting place and drapes it over the neck of Lynn Miller, who recites the accompanying haiku. Lynn then stands silently for several seconds. Lynda removes the rakusu from Lynn's neck and hands it to Bev Magennis. Both bow during the exchange. Bev hands the rakusu to me to install in the gallery. The ceremony includes 21 facsimile rakusus and Taneda's haikus. Once the last one is installed in the gallery, all of us gather for a final bow, haiku, and sake toast to Santoka Taneda.

–Feel of the needle when at last you get the thread through it. S T
    Thank you, Anne, for adding your energies here to further dialogue and discussion about art and creativity.

Anne and Richard also mentioned that they would like to see, not just visual artists around here, but musicians and writers doing their thing through our Art Circle as well. Lovely.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-03-2018 at 01:45 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Anne!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Wonderful, thank you Anne for coming and sharing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

This is so awesome!!!

Thank you so much Anne for sharing your art and skills with treeleaf. Very excited to have you share this journey with us.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Very cool! Thank you for this.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I love Anne's work; I posted her rakusu project to FB and only then did I find out, from Kokuu, that she was a member of Treeleaf!
    Thank you Anne - and Richard - for all that you do.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you!

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello!

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I'll be posting soon. Please, I look forward to your feedback...

Gassho
    Anne ~st~

Hey Anne!

Welcome aboard! I really like your rakusu project

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you for stepping in, Anne. I was really impressed by The Rakusu Project and look forward to what will unfold in the Art Circle under the guidance of Richard and yourself.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-