Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug 31st-Sept 1st, 2018 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! - COMMENCING JUKAI & ANGO!

Aug 31st-Sept 1st, 2018 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! - COMMENCING JUKAI & ANGO!

Our Zazenkai is in Special Celebration and Welcome of the
    Commencement of our 2018 ANGO & JUKAI Season

Today's Talk will honor a portion of Master Dogen's "Shobogenzo-Jukai"
    (text below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/septe...bogenzo-jukai/

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-03-2018 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Added podcast episode link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today's Talk will reflect on a portion of Master Dogen's 'Shobogenzo-Jukai' as we commence our Jukai and Ango Season for this year.

---

In the Western Heavens and the Eastern Lands, wherever the transmission has passed between Buddhist patriarchs, at the beginning of entering the Dharma there is inevitably the receiving of the precepts. Without receiving the precepts we are never the disciples of the buddhas and never the descendants of the ancestral masters—because they have seen “departing from excess and guarding against wrong” as “practicing [za]zen and inquiring into the truth.” The words “the precepts are foremost” already are the right Dharma-eye treasury itself. To “realize buddha and become a patriarch” inevitably is to receive and maintain the right Dharma-eye treasury; therefore, ancestral masters who receive the authentic transmission of the right Dharma-eye treasury inevitably receive and maintain the Buddhist precepts. There cannot be a Buddhist patriarch who does not receive and maintain the Buddhist precepts. Some receive and maintain them under the Tathāgata, which in every instance is to have received the lifeblood. The Buddhist precepts now authentically transmitted from buddha to buddha and from patriarch to patriarch were exactly transmitted only by the ancestral patriarch of Sūgaku [Master Bodhidharma] and, transmitted five times in China, they reached the founding patriarch of Sōkei [Master Hui-Neng].The authentic transmissions from Seigen, Nangaku, and so on have been conveyed to the present day, but there are unreliable old veterans and the like who do not know it at all. They are most pitiful.

That “we should receive the bodhisattva precepts; this is the beginning of entering the Dharma” is just what practitioners should know. The observance in which “we should receive the bodhisattva precepts” is authentically transmitted, in every case, by those who have long learned in practice in the inner sanctum of the Buddhist patriarchs; it is not accomplished by negligent and lazy people. In that observance, in every case, we burn incense and perform prostrations before the patriarch master, and ask “to receive the bodhisattva precepts.” Once granted permission, we bathe and purify ourselves, and put on new and clean clothes. Or we may wash [existing] clothes, then scatter flowers, burn incense, perform prostrations and show reverence, and then put them on. Widely we perform prostrations to the statues and images, perform prostrations to the Three Treasures, and perform prostrations to venerable patriarchs; we get rid of miscellaneous hindrances; and [thus] we are able to make body and mind pure. Those observances have long been authentically transmitted in the inner sanctum of the Buddhist patriarchs. After that, at the practice place, the presiding ācārya duly instructs the receiver to do prostrations, to kneel upright, and, with palms together, to speak these words:

“I take refuge in the Buddha, I take refuge in the Dharma, I take refuge in the Sangha."

No.1: To seek as you can, in this body and life, to avoid doing harm

No.2: To seek as you can, in this body and life, to live in a healthful and helping way, doing good

No.3: To seek as you can, in this body and life, to live for the benefit of all Sentient Beings
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-29-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Thank you Jundo. I intend to sit as much of this as I can, I may not last till 5.00am, but hope to at least arrive at the Hokey Cokey
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Thank you Jundo. I intend to sit as much of this as I can, I may not last till 5.00am, but hope to at least arrive at the Hokey Cokey
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    Hi Meitou,

The wonderful aspect of our Zazenkai (one of many!) is that it is available 24/7/365 anywhere on the planet or in the universe, now or in the future or past (or, at least, where there is a good internet connect anytime after Saturday).

So, no need to be awake in the middle of the night. We will sit with you in Sardinia any time (with either the "Live now" or "Live later" versions), putting aside thoughts of here or there, now and then.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live with my instruments ready

Happy to be part of Ango and Jukai 2018.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Meitou,

The wonderful aspect of our Zazenkai (one of many!) is that it is available 24/7/365 anywhere on the planet or in the universe, now or in the future or past (or, at least, where there is a good internet connect anytime after Saturday).

So, no need to be awake in the middle of the night. We will sit with you in Sardinia any time (with either the "Live now" or "Live later" versions), putting aside thoughts of here or there, now and then.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you for the get out clause! Seriously, it's wonderful that we have this facility which transcends borders, space and time and I take advantage of it every week. However there are also times when it's beautiful to sit in the still of a Mediterranean night and listen to the birds singing in Japan, feel that connection in the timeless now
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way to kick off Ango & Jukai 2018! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo, I'll be time warping to Sunday.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I hope I don't get hung up at work this week, I am hoping to sit this two way with you all now that my daughter's back at school and I have my temporary Zendo back.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Let's dedicate today's sitting to Dani who is a bit under the weather today. (Dani has also requested that we share the dedication with her friends, including a small child. who are also not so well today). We sit for them and anyone else who is so today.

Dani also sent this photo of how she looked in the big "Tsukuba Festival" parade last week. Behind her is "nebuta," a kind of famous parade float here in northern Japan.

Dani parade.jpg

Some more images of our parade (I am trying to spot Dani)

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Mp
    Thank you for sharing Jundo and sending much metta to Dani and friends, I hope they feel better soon.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

will make it, if not this evening, then tomorrow.
    gassho

sjl
    sat,lah

Wonderful video, I wouldn't want to be one of the people under those floats though! Metta to Dani and her friends, hope they all make a quick recovery.

I'm in the midst of my first Ango challenge and just wanted it to be known in case I appear to disappear. The on/off switch on my router/modem has just packed up; we've managed to cobble together a solution by holding it in the ON position with electrical tape and a cable tie, I'm hoping this will do for next week until I can buy another one. I did manage to meet this challenge with a modicum of equanimity, in that I didn't resort to 'wrong speech' or shed any tears. It does mean that I'll watch one way tonight rather than risk taking a two way place and then losing the connection.

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Meitou,

You hang in there! Your intent carries volumes...and thus wonderful opportunity will be waiting for you to watch at a later date....go with the flow

Gassho
    Frank

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mp
    Wonderful video, I wouldn't want to be one of the people under those floats though! Metta to Dani and her friends, hope they all make a quick recovery.

I'm in the midst of my first Ango challenge and just wanted it to be known in case I appear to disappear. The on/off switch on my router/modem has just packed up; we've managed to cobble together a solution by holding it in the ON position with electrical tape and a cable tie, I'm hoping this will do for next week until I can buy another one. I did manage to meet this challenge with a modicum of equanimity, in that I didn't resort to 'wrong speech' or shed any tears. It does mean that I'll watch one way tonight rather than risk taking a two way place and then losing the connection.

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    No worries Meitou,

Whether coming or going, you are here. Whether spotty tech or internet connection, you are here. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi all,

Neilio here and I will be looking forward to joining you all this evening in the UK.

Gassho

Neilio

Hi all

I will not be joining you all live today as the 4 hour's will be interrupted by other worldly activity, and I would really like to sit the four hours in one sit if you get my drift. Seeing as time is a relative condition then I will take advantage of that relativity and sit with you all at 8pm NZ time as I know I can have four hours fully to dedicate to my practice, to the reflection required to begin my Ango commitment, and so I join with you all (and all Beings!) in the full spirit of this very special Zazenkai.

Kia ora as we say down here, and my deepest bows of respect to you all, gassho

Sat and LAH in the last 24

Leon

Mp
    Hello folks,

Here is the event link for today's zazenkai and the start of our Ango and Jukai. =)

Zazenkai Event Link: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_GB&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Made it to the dubstep Hokey Cokey yay! I'll catch up with the rest tomorrow. Thank you Jundo and everyone for the great talk and comments, let's all have a joyful Ango

Deep Bows
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Mp
    Lovely lovely, thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. Happy Ango and Jukai! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, Jundo and everyone. It was a great start to the party!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Whee and off we go!! Thanks everyone!! Along with the theme of "falling down," if anyone wants a laugh, scroll back to when we sat down for the first Zazen. I fell off the Zafu! I was all discombobulated after rushing home from work to make it in time.

May you all have an Ango full of peace and joy and the Hokey Pokey.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/fell down/LAH

Thank you all. Zazenkai was wonderful.

Gassho

Dan
    Sat/LAH

Thank you, Jundo, for an excellent start to Ango. It was a pleasure to be online with everyone. Next time I will use my laptop with a camera!
    Gassho
    Joseph
    Sat/LAH

Doahin
    St

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sitting in stages, these next few mornings. Thank you all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Unfortunately I could not attend live. But I'm going to do the Zazenkai now.

Thank you for all the good work, Jundo!

Gassho
    Christian

Sat/lah

Thanks to everyone for a great kickoff to ango. it was a little bleary eyed here in the uk, yet i'm glad i joined live. I was reduced to joining by phpne as my laptops camera is not recognised by google hangouts, hence why its so dark in my zendo on my conection. id love to chat to a 'techie' expert yo try to fix this at some time.

Anyway I digress,

many thanks to you all

Gassho

Neilio

Hello all,
    I wasn't able to sit live, but I'm sitting with you all today. I just wanted to mention, that I've just Sat with the first half, outside on my porch. Jundo, as you were mentioning how you were admiring the rain, it started to rain here this morning. This is what I love about Treeleaf, we truly are beyond space and time. I'm sitting there with you in Japan while it is raining here outside my porch in the middle of Pennsylvania! Happy Ango to all...

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    Sattoday/lah

Thank you everyone.
    Sat a portion last night live and the rest, still together with all of you, just now.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    Hello all,
    I wasn't able to sit live, but I'm sitting with you all today. I just wanted to mention, that I've just Sat with the first half, outside on my porch. Jundo, as you were mentioning how you were admiring the rain, it started to rain here this morning. This is what I love about Treeleaf, we truly are beyond space and time. I'm sitting there with you in Japan while it is raining here outside my porch in the middle of Pennsylvania! Happy Ango to all...

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    Sattoday/lah
    As I read your post Kelly there was a gentle rain here in the desert as well.

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    Hello all,

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    Sattoday/lah
    It was raining outside my window at that time also! Such a beautiful sound shared across the world!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

thank you everyone for lovely Zazenkai,
    I really enjoyed catching up with everyone .

Gassho, eva
    sattoday and also LAH

Thank you Jundo and Kyonin and all who participated. I tried to get in last night but my internet connection was not working. However, I've been able to sit with you this morning. Jakuden, I particularly enjoyed your opening prat fall, it reminded me of a couple of times I fell of the cushion; good for a couple of embarrassed giggles, right.
    And with that,let's Ango on.

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Jakuden, I particularly enjoyed your opening prat fall, it reminded me of a couple of times I fell of the cushion; good for a couple of embarrassed giggles, right.
    I never even realized it could happen!! Robes are slippery!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    I never even realized it could happen!! Robes are slippery!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

We need Zafu's with seatbelts and airbags.

Gassho J STLah

PS - I am not actually recommending that anyone sit in some contraption like that!
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-01-2018 at 04:42 PM.

I've fallen off the cushion a few times too, trying to go from standing to sitting in one graceful movement - total fail!
    I just completed sitting with you all, noticing that even though I'm watching a recording, when Jundo asks if we can hear him I always give the thumb up, and I always join in waving goodbye at the end
    Thank you again everyone, to the technology that makes this possible, and much gratitude to the inventor of cable ties, the modem lives to route another day.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

It sounds like that Zafu seatbelt might not be a bad idea for some of us. And some of us also need to stay away from sharp knives during Sesshin...
    Meitou, I saw you waving!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    It sounds like that Zafu seatbelt might not be a bad idea for some of us. And some of us also need to stay away from sharp knives during Sesshin...
    Meitou, I saw you waving!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meitou
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Greetings everyone and happy ango!
    Thanks for the helpful talk today
    1) This discussion of the precepts also helps address a, in my view, common misperception of Zen & Buddhism as “nihilism.” (in other words, there is no such thing as good/bad – I can go out and do whatever I want!). Not so, I don’t want to speak too generally, but most religions, spiritualities, life philosophies start with ethical basic lessons (that we all need to return to on a regular basis). In other words if I’m heisting banks, shooting people, kicking kittens, and doing overall mayhem I can expect to go nowhere in spiritual practice.
    2) I’ve been been meaning to throw the word “asceticism” out there. Words can mean different things depending on context. In “Buddhist” asceticism seems to have a negative connotation – the Buddha next to starving himself in his practice, but, his practice improved once he had a bit to eat (suggesting looking for a ‘middle way’?) Angoers mention what many other spiritualities/religions would call “asceticism.” Say, fasting from meat, rich food, tobacco, alcohol, certain entertainments, consumer buying…at least for a season. Even, ‘just sitting’ for a whole half-hour is an ascetic practice, depending on what you mean by asceticsm!
    Why do we do these things? I think that’s a good question! Some folks I’ve talked to dismiss all this as ‘pathological’ (and it certainly can be that if you take it too far) However, these practices are common almost world over – any many benefit therefrom.
    3) Master Dogen as ‘politician’. This is a word that often has negative connotations. However, wherever two or three are gathered politics are also involved and it sounds he had the good sense to know that. What I’m really trying to get at is words and actions that would be helpful for a monk in a monastery may not be as helpful if you have a family and a job in the big city. Can the same practice, spirituality, speak to both in spite of very different contexts – I certainly hope so!
    Sorry for going on, and I’m sure much of this is ‘restatement.’
    Gassho
    Sjl
    Sat,lah

Thanks everyone,
    Gassho,
    Enjaku
    Sat LAH
    援若

Hi Sj,

Good to sit with you today.

Quote Originally Posted by sjlabat View Post
    Greetings everyone and happy ango!
    Thanks for the helpful talk today
    1) This discussion of the precepts also helps address a, in my view, common misperception of Zen & Buddhism as “nihilism.” (in other words, there is no such thing as good/bad – I can go out and do whatever I want!). Not so, I don’t want to speak too generally, but most religions, spiritualities, life philosophies start with ethical basic lessons (that we all need to return to on a regular basis). In other words if I’m heisting banks, shooting people, kicking kittens, and doing overall mayhem I can expect to go nowhere in spiritual practice.
    Someone who would kick kittens is filled with anger, divided thinking, lack of empathy, and just cannot taste the fruits of this Way. We actually sit beyond "right and wrong, good or bad" but with a subtle sense of wholeness and rightness to this universe. It helps us, in turn, not to be the kind of person who would kick kittens.

We actually had a discussion of this about a famous koan regarding the master who "cut a cat in two" to stop an argument between younger monks over who owned the cat. In fact, it is probably not literal, and a "Zen sword" (unlike an ordinary sword) cuts the cat "into one beyond one, wholeness." It is the argument between people that actually had cut the "cat in two" by dividing people and the world in two.

One of the most easily misunderstood of Koans is 'Nansen Kills the Cat.'

Nanchuan (Nansen) saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a cat. Seizing the cat, he told the monks: “If any of you can say a word of Zen, you will save the cat.” No one answered. Nanchuan cut the cat in two. That evening Zhaozho (Joshu) returned to the monastery and Nanchuan told him what had happened. Zhaozho removed his sandals, placed them on his head, and walked out. Nanchuan said: “If you had been there, you would have saved the cat.”
    Here is how I take it: The "Sword of Wisdom" in Mahayana Buddhism actually makes the separate things of the world one when it "uncuts." It is the opposite of a worldly sword. The monks, in fighting over the cat, are the ones who had already mentally divided it. There was unlikely to have been any literal killing celebrated by Buddhist priests who take a vow to avoid violence, not to mention all the Karmic ramifications. Instead, Nansen actually brought wholeness and the cat back to life by ending the monk's arguing and divisive thoughts, and returning to Wholeness and the Absolute. No cat was harmed, in either the relative or the absolute sense. The "shoes on the head" at the end is a traditional gesture of mourning at Chinese funerals, showing that Joshu got the message.

Pretty simple. The ASPCA certifies that no animal was actually harmed in the making of this Teaching

Manjushri with the "Sword of Wisdom" as found in many Zazen Halls

2) I’ve been been meaning to throw the word “asceticism” out there. Words can mean different things depending on context. In “Buddhist” asceticism seems to have a negative connotation – the Buddha next to starving himself in his practice, but, his practice improved once he had a bit to eat (suggesting looking for a ‘middle way’?) Angoers mention what many other spiritualities/religions would call “asceticism.” Say, fasting from meat, rich food, tobacco, alcohol, certain entertainments, consumer buying…at least for a season. Even, ‘just sitting’ for a whole half-hour is an ascetic practice, depending on what you mean by asceticsm!
    Why do we do these things? I think that’s a good question! Some folks I’ve talked to dismiss all this as ‘pathological’ (and it certainly can be that if you take it too far) However, these practices are common almost world over – any many benefit therefrom.
    Middle way. one does not punish the body, but neither should we be a prisoner of indulging in our every whim, constantly running toward and craving what we want, running from and fearing what we don't in life. Giving up a little helps us realize that we have more mental control over that than we might think, as is freeing. Also, it help us appreciate a bit more the gift of life just as it is, and the things that money cannot buy.

3) Master Dogen as ‘politician’. This is a word that often has negative connotations. However, wherever two or three are gathered politics are also involved and it sounds he had the good sense to know that. What I’m really trying to get at is words and actions that would be helpful for a monk in a monastery may not be as helpful if you have a family and a job in the big city. Can the same practice, spirituality, speak to both in spite of very different contexts – I certainly hope so!
    Sorry for going on, and I’m sure much of this is ‘restatement.’
    Gassho
    Sjl
    Sat,lah
    "Politician" was probably a bad word choice by me. Better would be "sports coach" who encourages her players whoever they are to build morale. When Dogen spoke to lay folks, he encouraged lay folks; when speaking mostly to monks he encouraged monks. Yes, he knew his listeners.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-02-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Indeed, and as one who lives with a cat in my household I am relieved that no cats were harmed!
    Thanks and gassho,
    sjl
    sat, lah

Eishuu
    Wonderful way to start Ango. Thank you all.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Good Morning All!

Sat the kick off Zazenkai for Ango/Jukai today. Wonderful to be with you all!
    Small snack now, then to begin Precept study and reading of Mind over Clover assigned by Jundo.
    This afternoon, ill begin sewing my rakusu!

Gassho all!
    Frank
    Satoday!

Thank you all

Tairin
    Sat today
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I just completed sitting with you all, noticing that even though I'm watching a recording, when Jundo asks if we can hear him I always give the thumb up, and I always join in waving goodbye at the end
    LOL me too!

Thanks for the sit, everybody.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Ok..I did it too

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Jundo's Ango kickoff talk now available on the Treeleaf podcast: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/septe...bogenzo-jukai/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast