Thoughts may come to you
    Like scattered clouds in the sky
    Just let them dissolve

-----------------------------------------------

Gassho
    Tamber
    SatToday

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lotus-of-the-mtn; 08-04-2018 at 11:13 PM.

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Thank you, Shokai.

Could I ask what is exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by lotus-of-the-mtn View Post
    Thank you, Shokai.

Could I ask what is exactly?

Beautiful haiku, thank you!

When an emoji is used in the main forum, it reads out on Tapatalk by its name. There are several Gassho emojis on the main forum that do not print here. Funny, I am so used to going back and forth between mobile and laptop that I know what they are, for the most part. Anyway, just take it as a bow, palms together
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tamber;

Thank you for asking. Maintain your inquisitive , beginner's mind and you'll feel right at home at Treeleaf in no time.

"Gassho" translates from Japanese as "Join hands at Palms." It is used as a respectful greeting or salutation. Much the same as Namaste is used in India. In physical practice it is performed by joining your hands together at the level of the lower half of your face and combine with a bow. A slight bow would be to lower your head or a deep bow to bend at the waist or a prostration to lower your entire body to the ground. But, all of this means nothing if you don't feel it in your heart. Check out this dictionary link to see the Kanji (Chinese Characters involved. Of course the '' refers to the second of the three Smileys available on the drop down menu above.

In this case, I was so overjoyed by your excellent collection of Haiku That I had no words other than to display my feelings in this way.

well done and thank you,
    , Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Ahhh! Okay! I knew what Gassho was, but I didn't realize that was for the emojis. Thank you for clarifying. I had read that the hands together with the bow was called gassho rei. Round here, does gassho itself pretty much cover that?

pretty much

don't be surprised if somewhere along the way it changes and looks like a slider instead of a curve ball tho

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Thank you for your poems, Tamber! Zen and poetry has a long history with the hermit monk Ryokan writing some of my favourite work. Have you read Writing and Enjoying Haiku by Jane Reichhold? Is a wonderful book which helped me a lot with my own haiku writing.

still air
    rose petals unfold
    a butterfly

Gassho
    Kokuu

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post

Thank you for your poems, Tamber! Zen and poetry has a long history with the hermit monk Ryokan writing some of my favourite work. Have you read Writing and Enjoying Haiku by Jane Reichhold? Is a wonderful book which helped me a lot with my own haiku writing.

still air
    rose petals unfold
    a butterfly

Gassho
    Kokuu
    Well, I have two things to explore now. Ryokan and Jane Reichhold! I would love to expand my haiku. Poetry is what I write the most of and I'd like to publish what I can. I have many non-haiku poems as well.

Thank you for the recommendations, your kind words about my poetry, and for sharing that haiku with me. It's beautiful

Gassho
    Tamber
    Sat/LAH

Well, I have two things to explore now. Ryokan and Jane Reichhold! I would love to expand my haiku. Poetry is what I write the most of and I'd like to publish what I can. I have many non-haiku poems as well.
    Ryōkan's book 'One Robe, One Bowl' is a great favourite of mine and I recommend it greatly: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Robe_One_Bowl

My hut lies in the middle of a dense forest;
    Every year the green ivy grows longer.
    No news of the affairs of men,
    Only the occasional song of a woodcutter.
    The sun shines and I mend my robe;
    When the moon comes out I read Buddhist poems.
    I have nothing to report, my friends.
    If you want to find the meaning, stop chasing after
    so many things.

-- Ryōkan Taigu (1758-1831)

There is a forum here for longer form poetry started by our member Tai Shi who has written several poetry books. It would be lovely if ever you felt like sharing your work there: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ghlight=poetry

I don't know much about where to publish longer forms but can give you a list of contemporary haiku journals if you so desire!

Jane Reichhold (who is sadly no longer with us) left a online haiku course for anyone to use (The Bare Bones School of Haiku) and a wonderful collection of articles to help writers: https://ahapoetry.com/all%20haiku%20info.html

Deep bows for your practice. It is always lovely to meet a fellow writer and there are more than a few others around Treeleaf!

Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Ryōkan's book 'One Robe, One Bowl' is a great favourite of mine and I recommend it greatly: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Robe_One_Bowl

My hut lies in the middle of a dense forest;
    Every year the green ivy grows longer.
    No news of the affairs of men,
    Only the occasional song of a woodcutter.
    The sun shines and I mend my robe;
    When the moon comes out I read Buddhist poems.
    I have nothing to report, my friends.
    If you want to find the meaning, stop chasing after
    so many things.

-- Ryōkan Taigu (1758-1831)

There is a forum here for longer form poetry started by our member Tai Shi who has written several poetry books. It would be lovely if ever you felt like sharing your work there: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ghlight=poetry

I don't know much about where to publish longer forms but can give you a list of contemporary haiku journals if you so desire!

Jane Reichhold (who is sadly no longer with us) left a online haiku course for anyone to use (The Bare Bones School of Haiku) and a wonderful collection of articles to help writers: https://ahapoetry.com/all%20haiku%20info.html

Deep bows for your practice. It is always lovely to meet a fellow writer and there are more than a few others around Treeleaf!

Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! This is all wonderful information! I may very well share those poems there! I'm so glad I am also among other writers. We should do more discussing about this. Any time! Thank you for the bare bones page, I'm going to settle in with that right after this post!

I will be looking for Ryokan poetry now. Thank you, once more!

Gassho
    Tamber
    Sat/LAH

Thank you Tamber.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Thank you Tamber.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    You're very welcome. I'm going to do a rewrite of them and share them back here.

@lotus; lovely poetry, thankyou so much for sharing. Would love to see where you go with this format

KoKuu - Thankyou for those resources, wonderful!

Geoff.
    SatToday / LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Thank you, Tamber, for sharing your poetry and starting this thread, and thank you Kokuu, for for sharing the Bare Bones School of Haiku site and the love of Ryōkan Taigu's poetry

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all for your kind words and reception. I'm editing them now. I'll do a comparison of them later on.

Gassho
    Tamber
    satlah

These are wonderful. Thank you

Sat2day

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    These are wonderful. Thank you

Sat2day
    Thank you, Troy, for your kind words. It was my pleasure.

Gassho
    Tamber
    sat