Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 8/4 with Author/Zen Teacher SUSAN MOON

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 8/4 with Author/Zen Teacher SUSAN MOON

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Zen teacher, engaged Buddhist and authorSUSAN MOON will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk SATURDAY AUGUST 4th, LIVE from California and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Susan Moon ...

(Reigetsu) Susan Moon is a writer, editor, and lay teacher in the Soto Zen tradition. She is the author of a number of books about Buddhism, including the humor book The Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi and This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity. For many years she was the editor of Turning Wheel, the journal of socially engaged Buddhism. Her short stories and essays have been published widely. Sue has been a Zen student since 1976, practicing in the lineage of Suzuki Roshi at Berkeley Zen Center, Tassajara Zen Mountain Monastery, Green Gulch Farm, and now with Zoketsu Norman Fischer’s Everyday Zen sangha. She received “entrustment” as a lay teacher in 2005. She is a serious student of photography and the mother of two grown sons and the grandmother of three granddaughters. She lives in Berkeley, California.
    The festivities will begin at 8:00 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SATURDAY 8/4 (that is 11am in New York, London 4:00pm and Paris 5:00pm, all SATURDAY AUGUST, 4th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Susan Moon for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Susan is the author of several wonderful books, including This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity

In this intimate and funny collection of essays on the sometimes confusing, sometimes poignant, sometimes hilarious condition of being a woman over sixty, Susan Moon keeps her sense of humor and she keeps her reader fully engaged. Among the pieces she has included here are an essay on the gratitude she feels for her weakening bones; observations on finding herself both an orphan and a matriarch following the death of her mother; musings on her tendency to regret the past; thoughts on how not to be afraid of loneliness; appreciation for the inner tomboy; and celebratory advice on how to regard "senior moments" as opportunities to be in the here and now.
    It is a wonderful book, and for that reason, I have asked her to speak on practicing with aging bodies and various health issues. She has also written very openly about her past encounters as a Zen practitioner with depression ...

Her other books and parts of books include ...

• The Hidden Lamp: Stories from 25 Centuries of Awakened Women, edited by Zenshin Florence Caplow and Reigetsu Susan Moon.
    • Not Turning Away: The Practice of Engaged Buddhism (Editor)
    • Risking Peace: Why We Sat in the Road, with Jackie Cabass
    • Being Bodies: Buddhist Women on the Paradox of Embodiment, with Lenore Friedman

Also, the HILARIOUS "The Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi" (Tofu Roshi—the fictional "Dear Abby" of Zen Buddhism—counsels his readers about their spiritual problems in this hilarious spoof of America's search for enlightenment. ) LINK

and more essays found on her webpage LINK

I would like to fill our hangout and show Susan a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome her! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to the teacher, and Susan has suggested a donation to this organization for peace ...

Last edited by Jundo; 08-03-2018 at 02:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Hangouts If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND SHINGEN WILL SEND OUT INVITATIONS AND POST A LINK TO JOIN IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure the Susan Moon has gotten there). I draw names out of the hat. If there is big demand, I can open a second HANGOUT too.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Shoka
    2- Byokan
    3- Sean
    4- Shokai
    5- Troy
    6- Meitou
    7- Onkai
    8- Shingen
    9- Susan Moon
    10-Jundo

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen posted above in this thread.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Susan from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Susan, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 08-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Thank you for arranging this Jundo. I will be there two way.
    ---

Editing to say that my wonderful wife just reminded me I am doing a clinic that day so I won't be able to participate 2-way.

Sorry to not be there live.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Last edited by Shinshi; 07-27-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Mp
    Yes thank you Jundo ... Looking forward to this. I will be there live two way if there is space. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Just to clarify, August 4th is SATURDAY. We will have a 90 minute Zazen on Friday night 8/3 too.

Thank you Jundo. I will participate one-way.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Joyo
    I'd love to join but unfortunately I have to take my aging body to work that day. I am very interested in what she has to say, and will definitely sit with the recording. Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

I’m working too, sad to miss it. Looking forward to watching afterward!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to the teacher, and Susan has suggested a donation to this organization for peace ...

Thank you for making this happen, Jundo.

Anant,
    Sat/LaH

Thank you, Jundo. I'm looking forward to this event, whether one-way or two-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Well, since I wanted to participate I donated.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I'll be there, hopefully two way if there is room (I've PM'd you Jundo)
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I would like to give this a bump, still good seats available ...

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Hi Jundo,

I will be working on Saturday morning. Won't be able to attend

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I’ll be working overtime as well. Makes me more than a little sad.

Gassho,
    Jason
    Sat Today

Friends, we have a big storm coming in right now which may mean we also get power cuts. If I'm not there when you start, please give my place to the next in line. Murphy's law of course but I'm telling myself we do really need some rain.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I’ve sent a request to join Jundo. Thank you for helping provide this opportunity.

Gassho,
    Thomas
    SatToday LAH

Is there a link??
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Mp
    Hey folks,

Ok, here is the event link for today's zazenkai with Susan Moon. Please allow the folks on this list to access the the hangout first. If there are extra spaces we will announce it before the start. Thank you. =)

1- Shoka
    2- Byokan
    3- Sean
    4- Shokai
    5- Troy
    6- Meitou
    7- Onkai
    8- Shingen
    9- Susan Moon
    10-Jundo

Hangout Event Link: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...hl=en_GB&pli=1

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
    We are about to start and there is extra room if anyone wants to come in. =)

GAssho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Trying to get in. Having issues sorry

Sat2day

it was really nice to see this zazenkai !

std

aprapti

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Mp
    Wow, that was wonderful!!! Thank you Jundo and Susan ... truly a classic. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you, Susan Moon, Jundo, Shingen and everyone. It was an encouraging talk.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Thank you Susan, Jundo and everyone. My mom and I were talking about aging just last night. Wonderful and timely talk

Sat2day

What a delight! Really a wonderful visit and discussion. Thanks so much to Susan, Jundo, Shingen, and all.

Gassho
    Byokan
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Wonderful discussion! So moving that I'll watch it again soon.
    Thank you, Susan Moon and everyone. Thank you, Jundo for making this possible.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you so much Susan Moon and Jundo, and all who made this possible, it was such an encouraging and warm hearted talk, I can't recommend Susan's book This is Getting Old highly enough. Gratitude also toward my computer which allowed me to thank Susan for answering my question before having a small tantrum
    Thank you again everyone

Gassho
    Meitou/temporarily Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Eishuu
    That was wonderful. Thanks so much to Susan Moon, Jundo and everyone! I found the talk really helpful.

Gassho
    Eishuu
    ST/LAH

Thank you for arranging this.

Jinyo

ST

This was awesome. Thanks to Susan Moon for being here, and to everyone.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Thank you so much Jundo for arranging this wonderful Zazenkai! I just finished sitting with this.

Thank you, Susan Moon for your heartfelt and honest views on getting older. This was truly a beautiful conversation and teaching.
    Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday/lah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Susan's talk is now available on the Treeleaf Podcast: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/augus...er-susan-moon/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Susan's talk is now available on the Treeleaf Podcast: https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/augus...er-susan-moon/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Thank you Sekishi. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Just sat with this.
    Thank you very much Susan, Jundo and all of you.
    I enjoyed and learned.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Thank you Sekishi!

I'll listen to it today while I go to work.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Deep bows to Susan Moon and to Jundo for making this possible along with all who participated.

Gassho
    Toun
    Sat2day/LAH

Absolutely beautiful.

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful questions and responses, and of course to Susan for a wonderful talk and discussion session.

Large parts spoke to me as I deal with my own transition in illness and I was crying by the end.

Deep bows to all who suffer
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Wonderful. Internalized alot of her wisdom. Thank you to all for giving us this opportunity.

Gassho
    Doshin
    st

Deep gratitude for this Wonderful talk and discussion.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Thank you Sekishi. I was able to listen to this today.

Thank you Susan for the talk.

Tairin
    Sat today

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Wonderful talking and life lesson. Thank you Jundo and Susan for making this happen and to all who contributed with meaningful questions.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you for organizing this talk with Susan Moon and also the last one with Edward Espe Brown

Gassho,
    Souchi

SatToday

Thank you for this wonderful talk

Gassho

MyoHo
    Mu

Thank you.

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Thank you all very much. Having just returned from a lengthy photography trip in which there was illness, injury from a fall, and a noticeable decrease in energy, I am trying to accept (let alone embrace) that 75 is not the same as 65. That's a hard one for me. But as Susan said, it is what is happening now. I'm deeply grateful for her words, as well as the support and love in this Sangha.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat Today LAH