Thread: WHAT IS ZEN? - Chap 2 Zazen - P. 17 to end.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WHAT IS ZEN? - Chap 2 Zazen - P. 17 to end.

I am pleased to announce that SUSAN MOON has agreed to lead a Zazenkai as a Guest Teacher sometime very soon. We are working out the details now. I will also soon be recommending her other book on aging and disablility, THIS IS GETTING OLD (I am just in the middle). It is great, funny and poignant. That book makes clear that one should sit Zazen in the posture that the body and health allows.

For today, we turn to the rest of Chapter 2, from Page 17 to the end.

Comments on some points he discusses:

While we usually seek to sit in a quiet and comfortable room, because stillness in environment helps the mind settle, we actually sit where we are, in whatever condition, as it is. In fact, I recommend to seek out and sit in a disturbing or busy environment every few weeks.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nners-%2821%29

Most teachers recommend not closing the eyes. 1/3 open, neither running from the world, nor running towards it.

On time, whether sitting for 1 minute or 1000 years, please remember to sit beyond time. It may sound strange, but every moment holds all time, and is beyond time too. So, we sit each day for some minutes in order to settle, and realize such fact.

Norman says, like me, "there's no such thing as good better best Zazen." In fact, when sitting beyond good vs. bad, then "good" Zazen is good and "bad" Zazen days are good.

Notice that he says "Zazen is a religious act," and that is so no matter what happens so long as you make a sincere effort. I believe that this is the same as what I usually say about sitting Zazen as a sacred act, the one act needed in that moment in the world world, that is complete and whole no matter what happens.

He discusses preferences. I like to say that Zen is not learning to live with no preferences. It is much more subtle. It is learning to live with no preferences AND having preferences (although not their prisoner) all at once, as if seeing the world through two eyes that bring clarity when open together. No Preferences and Preferences at once, as one.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-22-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE