Thread: [Engaged] LAH: What LAH actions others have done for me

[Engaged] LAH: What LAH actions others have done for me

Let’s take a couple days to think of some LAH ideas, but this time instead of thinking of something we can do, let’s share stories of LAH that has been done for us.

These might help to inspire us in ways we haven’t thought of helping others and also remind each of us that little things can make a big difference.

I’ll start.

A few months ago I had a new neighbor move in behind me. We have a shared driveway between four houses, and along the front garages we all put our trash cans. Every week this new neighbor puts out everyone’s trash cans. For a couple weeks I didn’t even realize, I thought my significant other was doing it at some point during the day, because I would come home and they would all be out nicely lined up. And by the time I get home on trash day they are all put back in their place.

And really, they go above and beyond in taking care of it. I happened to see them one day doing it. And I was amazed, they had actually parked a car to block our curb and then moved the car and put all the trash cans down. That way they are neatly lined up with proper spacing and don’t block out driveway.
    It is a chore that only takes a few minutes each week, but whenever I get home and see my trash cans already out on the curb I’m so thankful to them for taking the time to pull mine down as well.

LAH idea: Put out someone else’s trash. Or do a chore for a neighbor while you are doing yours.

Second story:
    I have a friend who randomly sends me text messages to say “I was thinking about you today. Hugs.” Or something along that line. They are totally random and unexpected; but are so wonderful to received! It could be a great day and getting a little extra love is wonderful, but also occasionally they come through with spooky timing on a day when I really needed it.

LAH idea: Send unexpected notes of encouragement, love and friendship to people you don’t talk to often.

What LAH have you received?

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

I will put out a quick one.

We live in an agricultural area, so the neighbors all bring vegetables this time of year, and we give some vegetables that we have here. The funny things is that most of the neighbors and us are pretty much growing the same kinds of things (of course, they do much better than we do, as they have been growing for generations). Still, everyone pretty much gives the same carrots and bamboo shoots to each other, so that it is more like a trade than anything ... our potatoes for your potatoes. Of course, when they show up (always unannounced) to bring the vegetables, people stop to chat for some minutes, and maybe come in for tea, and see how they are doing. Everyone stops what they are doing for tea. The point is just to show the interconnection of it all.

LAH Idea: Just do the old "bring a pie to your neighbors" kind of thing. Use the excuse that you made or bought too much (you do have too much, so it is true!) Stay or invite them for tea.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I love these. All I really try to do is stay on top of the household chores for everyone, mostly my grandmother, and I clean up trash outside. I will be watchful of more opportunities. I suppose it isn't hard to text someone just to say hi!

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Oh my... where to start.

I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for the kidness of others.

Just this week a yoga studio offered me a home for my local zazen group, out plain kindness.

So many stories to tell on this front. All I can really say is that I live in perpetual gratefulness.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I am thankful for this Sangha, the teachings of Jundo, the other priest and everyone else. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! It has changed my life.

Sat2day