Thread: Childish Gambino Kills the Cat

Childish Gambino Kills the Cat

Another school shooting today, other violence in this news.

One of the most easily misunderstood of Koans is 'Nansen Kills the Cat.'

Nanchuan (Nansen) saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a cat. Seizing the cat, he told the monks: “If any of you can say a word of Zen, you will save the cat.” No one answered. Nanchuan cut the cat in two. That evening Zhaozho (Joshu) returned to the monastery and Nanchuan told him what had happened. Zhaozho removed his sandals, placed them on his head, and walked out. Nanchuan said: “If you had been there, you would have saved the cat.”
    Here is how I take it: The "Sword of Wisdom" in Mahayana Buddhism actually makes the separate things of the world one when it "uncuts." It is the opposite of a worldly sword. The monks, in fighting over the cat, are the ones who had already mentally divided it. There was unlikely to have been any literal killing celebrated by Buddhist priests who take a vow to avoid violence, not to mention all the Karmic ramifications. Instead, Nansen actually brought wholeness and the cat back to life by ending the monk's arguing and divisive thoughts, and returning to Wholeness and the Absolute. No cat was harmed, in either the relative or the absolute sense. The "shoes on the head" at the end is a traditional gesture of mourning at Chinese funerals, showing that Joshu got the message.

Pretty simple. The ASPCA certifies that no animal was actually harmed in the making of this Teachin

Manjushri with the "Sword of Wisdom" as found in many Zazen Halls

I realized this week that there is some commonality between this Koan and the current, very violent, anti-gun anti-racism video "This Is America." Both use an image of violence to make what is actually an anti-violence statement about coming together, and are supposed to shock us out of complacency. A Koan is just a dance too. The video's lyrics are also about people filled with desire these days (for money, buying stuff, sex) and only caring about that. Very Buddhist stuff.

It is not just about the USA, but about any place where there is violence and division.

I was inspired to play "This Is America" as our "Heart Sutra" during our Ceremony for Zazenkai today (about 6:00 mark), and then the short talk was about the Killing the Cat Koan if you find the time (from about 54:30). I also connected to Solomon threatening to cut the baby in two in order to find where the real love is found. Before the Ceremony, I explained that our practice is not just to sit in Peace, putting the ugliness aside. We must also look right at, and through, the violence to find the Wisdom and Compassion at its swirling center. Hate is no other than Emptiness, Emptiness just precisely Hate.

The rest of our weekly Zazenkai is here ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...HIS-IS-AMERICA

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

PS - I am writing a book with a theoretical physicist and, of course, we have one section when this is mentioned together with Schrödinger's cat. In both one might say that the cat is alive and dead. Arguing, like the monks did, is the pellet of poison that kills the cat in the box. :-)
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-19-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ok, got it -or as got it as I'm gonna get for now. I had meant to ask about the second half of the koan: the Joshu/Nanshuan dialogue. It appears there was a part 'lost in translation' for me (perhaps figuratively and literally) that you've explained. I wonder how much of this is an issue in dialoguing with all koans - and/or/both/neither they 'evolve' as the come into contact with new times, places and peoples.
    gassho,
    sjl
    sat

Jundo, I think it's pretty awesome that you can see past the shock factor to Donald Glover's message in the video. I have been a fan of his for a few years.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    This is a wonderful teaching Jundo, thank you for clarity. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Just a week ago my 14 year old son had me watch the "This is America " video. I'll admit I was put off by the video although I agree with the message. I also understand that sometimes you need to shock tonget your message across.

This week's Zazenkai with the "This is America" Heart Sutra definitely eased my feelings towards the video. Side note: my son thought it was cool of Jundo to use it.

Also this explanation of 'Nansen Kills the Cat.' is the clearest I've read.

Tairin
    Sat today

Thank you for letting me get the entire story of the cat. The interpretation is meaningul.

Gassho
    Doshin
    st

Thank you for the clarifying teaching, Jundo.
    I've been struggling a little for getting the Nansen's Cat clear and meaningful.

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat
    Last edited by Washin; 05-21-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thanks Jundo, this makes a lot of sense. I don't really know 'what to do/not to do with koans' so this is helpful. I am sure there is a thread on koans here somewhere.

In your opinion, what is the use of employing koans and do they help people wake up or make sense of awakening?

Gassho

Brad

SatLah

Quote Originally Posted by BradR89 View Post
    Thanks Jundo, this makes a lot of sense. I don't really know 'what to do/not to do with koans' so this is helpful. I am sure there is a thread on koans here somewhere.

In your opinion, what is the use of employing koans and do they help people wake up or make sense of awakening?

Gassho

Brad

SatLah
    They are a traditional way to express, using wit and poetry, Wisdom that is best not expressed in ordinary language. Here is something about Koans ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post236411

Actually, I now feel that modern rap music has something in common in how it uses humor, strange juxtapositions, sampling of other famous songs and lyrics, borrowed cultural references, to make a point better than could be made in straight talk.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    They are a traditional way to express, using wit and poetry, Wisdom that is best not expressed in ordinary language. Here is something about Koans ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post236411

Actually, I now feel that modern rap music has something in common in how it uses humor, strange juxtapositions, sampling of other famous songs and lyrics, borrowed cultural references, to make a point better than could be made in straight talk.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thank you Jundo

Brad

SatToday

I just saw this thread today. I actually just went back over this Koan last night. Even with Shishin Wick's commentary I still had difficulty understanding the meaning. Strangely, if I recall correctly Wick's commentary is that Nansen did actually kill the cat despite the karmic repercussions and that one life to save millions or something in the teaching. Jundo your talk was fantastic. I agree that I don't think Nansen killed the cat (or I really hope he didn't ). I would have never guessed today that "This is America" and Manjushri would have helped me better understand this Koan. Thank you Jundo for taking the time to help us understand this Koan and Zen through things like the "This is America" music video. I will never look at the music video or song the same again.

Deep Bows,

Tyler

Sat2day